Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving In the States

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

......orrrrrr......stay at home this year and next.....save a bit more money and then go over and just hire a driver.

Too much thinking involved over there and a country that loves authority and Irish type driving techniques for driving fines.

Can you imagine if Ireland had half as many cops on the beat......this country would double it's tax take in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have missed this ..... ask for the smallest or one of the smallest cars available....as compact as possible - unless you are taking a full car around.

True.
    My company paid for a "compact" car, cheapest one from "Enterprise car rentals".

I was driving around a Mazda 3.
    You won't by given anything as small as an Opel Corsa / Nissan Micra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Berty wrote: »
    Sorry not penatly points but dangerous driving and the like. They can be put on your license by court order. If you have these then the rental company will refuse you or charge you much more.

The back page of your license.

Not in my experience. I'd 4 points and I don't think they even bothered to check anything. I drove from NY to LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

If you get stopped by the police do not hop out of your car to greet him as he's approching you, you will most likely be shot!

When stopped stay in your car with your hands on the steering wheel.
    Do not go searching for your licence in the glove compartment etc, he may think you are searching for a gun.
    Stay in your car with your hands on the steering wheel until asked to produce said documents! This is the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

stek wrote: »
    If you get stopped by the police do not hop out of your car to greet him as he's approching you, you will most likely be shot!

When stopped stay in your car with your hands on the steering wheel.
    Do not go searching for your licence in the glove compartment etc, he may think you are searching for a gun.
    Stay in your car with your hands on the steering wheel until asked to produce said documents! This is the law!

And if it's at night turn on your internal light(s) so they can see your hands on the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

When I was first driving in USA the best advise my brother in law gave me was, when driving make sure the white line is always on your side while driving...Coming out of garages also can be tricky, for couple of milliseconds (Well for me) Always make sure your on the right going out....Just back from there and to fill up a tank was $25.....Mad. $1.88 a gallon...

Oh and seen someone mention they dont have Yield sign, seen a few coming off freeway near Los gatos San fran.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Very important to be respectful to the cops, especially highway patrol (a law unto themselves), and as said above , keep your hands on the wheel where the cop can see them.
    Also, they call roundabouts "rotarys" and a u-turn is called a "jug-handle". Handy to know when getting directions or you will be like me when first in the US , stopped at a gas station, was told to make a jug handle to the third rotary and I would be back on course......of course I just nodded as I had a girlfriend with me and would not dare to admit I did not know what the attendent was talking about!

Advertisement