Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neigbours water leak has soaked the carpet in my bedroom (rental)

Options
  • 07-01-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was away over Xmas with family etc and when I returned to the house I'm currently renting I found the carpet in my bedroom was damp in about half of the room. Turns out the property next door had a leak and it seeped through into my room. I notified the landlord on Mon and she contacted the landlord of the leaking property. Only at 6pm today did I recieve some de-humidifiers to try and remove the moisture.

My question is this - I'm left in a damp room for god knows how long and the dehumidifiers are quite loud also. So what should I expect from my landlord? I beginning to feel these are not acceptable rental living conditions.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Minimise you loses - both in damage to property, health, effort and expense.

You are entitled to habitable accommodation. This is not the case (ignoring whose fault it is).

I think you are perfectly entitled to somewhere else of an equivalent standard. If this isn't available, then you are entitled to move on short notice. You should ask for your costs to be covered, although your lanlord may disagree. If there are any problems, talk to Threshold and the PRTB.

www.threshold.ie www.prtb.ie

The landlord will be claiming all this on his insurance / the neighbour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Dehumidifiers won't get rid of the smell. I was through something similar myself (worse in fact), and what needs doing is carpet replacement. Get the carpet up, run the dehumidifer over the bare floor for half a day or so, then new carpet goes down.

As Victor alludes to, there are potential health issues with living in such an environment. So outline this to your landlord so he can pass it on: The carpet needs to be replaced. Your LL should be keen for this to occur also.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Thanks guys - defo think I'm going to move out for a day or 2 and insist they deal with the situation properly. Today the smell was quite bad, I've 2 de-humidifiers and a portable radiator in the room (room has nothing underneath it so is freezing all the time). Also, I'm worried about health risks.

Thanks again for advice

Advertisement