Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handing in Notice - no lease...........

Options
  • 07-01-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Just reading another thread re leaving a property - I have no lease and will be handing in notice - I take it that there should be no issue - one month's notice should be sufficient..........no agreement ever made re same........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

no lease no contract no problem would be my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

great - I'll give anyone €100 if they tell my flatmate / landlady that I'm going - i HATE these types of conversations and I KNOW it's going to be murder to get my deposit back, not cos of anything I've done, but she's constantly broke......................

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

Your notice has to be a valid one - check the PRTB and Threshold websites for what is a valid notice.

You will probably have to give more than 28 days notice. If you are living in a place for between 6 months and a year, it is 35 days notice. If you are there between a year and two years, you must give 42 days notice.

well, since I was told that she 'doesn't do' the tax return thing on the rental income, so I couldn't claim rent relief and I trust her enough to not ask to see the bills when they come in and I just hand over my share, she doesn't have a choice but to take the one month

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

A landlord not being tax compliant does not stop a tenant applying for rent relief so go ahead and apply for rent relief any way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

cjmcork wrote: »
    she 'doesn't do' the tax return thing on the rental income, so I couldn't claim rent relief and I trust her enough to not ask to see the bills when they come in and I just hand over my share

:eek:

I know - fool me - like I've said in another thread......I was a bit green when I moved to Dublin first........she wouldn't want to b1tch about my handing in my notice......am completely dreading it.....

but to be fair, I was away for 2 weeks in October and my share of the bill was reduced cos I wasn't there, so that was great................

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hang on, sounds like you're actually a licensee in a 'rent a room' scheme if your landlady is living with you as well, rather than a leasee, In which case unless you signed any agreement with her, you can presumabely just walk away.

You probably don't even have to tell her you're leaving if you really badly want to avoid a confrontation, just pack up and go (*) ;)

(* Depending on your morals/ethics)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Number one

Get your rent relief! You can turn around and leave today without handing any notice as theres no contract and she's acting outside the law.

Tell her to go f*ck herself and if she says anything tell her you'll PRTB her ass! They'll pi*s all over her.

To make it easier for you heres the number. 6350600

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The PRTB won't really be interested, because he is a lodger, not a tenant.

Give reasonable notice and demand your deposit back.

• Advertisement

folks - it didn't go too bad - I'll post back in a month to confirm whether or not I got the deposit...........thanks for the advice.........

Advertisement