Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blown Bulbs

Options
  • 07-01-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Maybe its because i am thinking of it that i notice it more but when driving to work tommorrow have a look at how many people have a full set of working lights on their car....

ok so missing a rear driving light not so bad if the other side is ok...... missing a head light and using full lights to compensate for your inability to see in the dark is disasterous and down right lazy...... but the thing that really bugs me is not having any working brake lights!!!!!

you may think this is a rare occurance... but no. i have seen it twice in the last week.

i am a firm believer in the 2 second rule and all that but its hard to know when the car in front of you is braking until you are right up there ass.

so please check your dam lights!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Multiple threads on this matter.

I did notice on the way up and down to Dublin/Dundalk this week that more people around the North East have working headlights. As I left the airport and came back down Mid West I noticed more and more people with faulty lights and/or misalinged lights.

When I was in Paris this week I noticed I would say 2 cars with faulty bulbs and they were ****box's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

its the brake lights that really bugs me they should be as important as seatbelts!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Offally people have a terrible habit of driving with only one headlight - they look like a motorbike in the distance and it is just utterly stupid and lazy and downright dangerous.
    Saw a gard today waving on car with one headlight on today, thats bloody lazy too.....

Or people with fogs on when there is clearly no fog whatsoever

Stop Stop, dont go any further with this conversation.

"Wont someone think of the children?"

yeah single headlights is dangerous especially on the narrow roads in offaly!!!!! had near miss going from rhode to edenderry one day. thats another story.

• Advertisement

Martron wrote: »
    yeah single headlights is dangerous especially on the narrow roads in offaly!!!!! had near miss going from rhode to edenderry one day. thats another story.

Thats a bloody bad road imo

oh yeah full on rally stage. great drive if you know there is nothing coming and you are not actually driving your own car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I find this very annoying too,(as well as dangerous) I also think the car looks uncared for and cannot stand my own car with lights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

landyman wrote: »
    Offally people have a terrible habit of driving with only one headlight - they look like a motorbike in the distance and it is just utterly stupid and lazy and downright dangerous.
    Saw a gard today waving on car with one headlight on today, thats bloody lazy too.....

Or people with fogs on when there is clearly no fog whatsoever

People who drive with fogs on are just plain ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

*cough* charter *cough*

• Advertisement

my gripe was brake lights not fogs :)

charter read.... no more mention of fogs

Sorry didnt realise there wasnt ment to be any posts on people with fogs left on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

landyman wrote: »
    Sorry didnt realise there wasnt ment to be any posts on people with fogs left on
    Same here:o

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They tend to end up with fighting and bannings and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't mention the "f" word for the love of God. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I hate the cars who's brake lights are constantly on. Saw this mostly on german cars and bugs thi sh1t outta me!

I can see foglights going to creep in here pretty soon..

Anyways yea thats my 2 cents..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

It only takes 5 minutes and its pretty annoying !

Steps include,

Stop in garage
    Take out blown bulb
    Lock car
    Go into garage
    Get replacement bulb
    Walk outside
    Unlock car
    Replace bulb
    Check its working
    Get into car if all is well and drive off .. seriously.. its less work than checking the tyre pressures !!

Although there are some cars that you cant change the bulbs without going to a garage, which i understand would be annoying !

Latest Polo is one of them i believe.

yeah i had a 06 ford focus. i had to literally remove the battery to get near the headlights. i suppose with the right tools you could do it easily enough but i suppose its a ridiculous amount chargerd to change a bulb.

back lights and usually easier to change . the gf has 02 golf. you need pretty nimble fingers to change the rear lights on that ...... which i may add are always blowing.

Why dont they make it more accessible?
    is it a scam to get you to return to the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

My bulb blew up at the weekend - Literally burned a hole in the connection and all.

Anyway does anyone know where I can get a headlight socket for a H4 bulb? I've tried the local motor factors but no joy. Prefer not to head to the scrapyard...

Like this:
    31TQB1Y68XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I knew it was bad but on my way up to galway from ennis (around 50 miles) on Sunday evening I must have seen at least 20 cars with blown headlight bulbs.

This is just so dangerous that if I was a Guard, they would be doing well to be allowed to continue the journey if I stoped them.

Nevermind speeding, I am convinced that this trend of people (esp in older cars) not bothering to change blown bulbs straight away is one of the most dangerous aspects of driving in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 doggone

Lights or no lights the 2 second rule at any speed is an opportunity seized by the many lunatics to pull out into the lane your trying to drive safely in. Then i want to get a small handled lump hammer and smash all their lights:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I knew it was bad but on my way up to galway from ennis (around 50 miles) on Sunday evening I must have seen at least 20 cars with blown headlight bulbs.

This is just so dangerous that if I was a Guard, they would be doing well to be allowed to continue the journey if I stoped them.

Nevermind speeding, I am convinced that this trend of people (esp in older cars) not bothering to change blown bulbs straight away is one of the most dangerous aspects of driving in this country.

Passed a gardai car today and one of the headlights was aiming up to the moon, so don't worry, they ain't going to stop you.
    What example are they teaching us, ermm to not give a bollock about blinding anyone...

To be fair to the Garda and Gardai in general. You will have many people driving that same car(and hearing todays news - none of them are licensed to do so) so if a bulb goes then they go to said Sergeant who writes them a PO for a new bulb which they go and get and the other Garda arrives later that evening for his/her shift and drives away after some numpty put the bulb in arse ways.

Also the fact that they drive nearly 24 hours a day with their headlight on and they are only standard halogens they are more prone to blowing because of their high usage.

You never know they could have been on their way to get them fixed. Thats what people tell the Gardai so...........................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

craichoe wrote: »
    It only takes 5 minutes and its pretty annoying !

Steps include,

Stop in garage
    Take out blown bulb
    Lock car
    Go into garage
    Get replacement bulb
    Walk outside
    Unlock car
    Replace bulb
    Check its working
    Get into car if all is well and drive off .. seriously.. its less work than checking the tyre pressures !!

Although there are some cars that you cant change the bulbs without going to a garage, which i understand would be annoying !

Latest Polo is one of them i believe.

Thanks to my 2.5 hour attempt at changing a headlight bulb on my 156 last week,I have no skin on my fingers anymore.
    Nightmare, and I still haven't sucessfully changed it. :(

Similar job with me when i was trying to change the lights on my 147. Absolute nightmare it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I think the time of year has a lot to do with changing bulbs.

I personally have a dip light out since Thurs, have the bulb got but the weather is so wet/cold/dark that its not feasible to stand outside messing about with the car.

I also have changed the car so am not familiar with how easy or hard it is to get at the bulbs, and i dont plan to study it in the dark after work!
    Had planned to do it today but the gales and heavy showers put my plans back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I can understand a rear light going for a couple of days cause you might check once a week but front lights no excuse but car manufactures must be looking for people to change their bulbs in garages cause my car the highlights on the passages side must want a childs hand cause of the battery.

I hate is the breakers then indicator to turn.

This fuxkers must be looking to get rear ended

Sorry stupid question probably, but are dipped and full beam bulbs interchangeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Sorry stupid question probably, but are dipped and full beam bulbs interchangeable?

They are the same bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cionád wrote: »
    They are the same bulb.
    No they're not, at least not always. Many cars use H1 for one, and H7 for the other.

Advertisement