Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blown Bulbs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

And some cars use a dual bulb which has the filament of the Dipped and main beam built in one bulb.

Rather like the Bi-xenon units out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Here on mainland Europe if you have a blown bulb you WILL be stopped by the Police. Furthermore you will be fined for it. Legally here you HAVE to have a fully roadworthy car on the roads at all times.

As for Foglights? That is over €100 of a fine here in Luxembourg if you have them on even at night when it is not foggy. They are very strict about this. And you must have your insurance documents and registration papers on you and your drivers licence at all times. There are fines for failure to present these documents too and if you don't have all the documents then book a taxi or get the bus home because they will immediately impound the car which costs a couple of hundred to release.

Everythime I go home to Ireland I see blown bulbs so frequently in ever 3 or 4th car on the roads and quite often it appears that the driver has not checked their vehicle..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Everythime I go home to Ireland I see blown bulbs so frequently in ever 3 or 4th car on the roads and quite often it appears that the driver has not checked their vehicle..
    Yeah, I spent over 20 years on the continent before coming here, and the blown bulb thing was one of the very first things that struck me when I arrived. You wouldn't last 5 minutes in Germany with faulty lighting like that on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Alun wrote: »
    No they're not, at least not always. Many cars use H1 for one, and H7 for the other.

Apologies, mine are the one bulb, H4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yeah it anoys me really about blown bulbs as it is a safety issue.... the traffic corps need to do more than breathalise people and check tax.

i saw a person reversing down the slip road at the n2 the other day..... garda car drove staright past the car did nothing!!!

its the same in america with blown bulbs. i was warned when i rented a car in san diego that if the state troopers get you with blown lights they will go poatal on you.... not sure about the policing over there but i think ythe troopers are a bit tougher than the cops!

• Advertisement

Somebody needs to die before any legislation is changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Isnt it a legal requirement in parts of mainland europe to carry a spare bulb set? I remember that years ago when our family went to France on holidays and we had to get one.

On that actually Lidl have a set this Thurs:
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090122.p.Car_Light_Bulb_Set

Also a First Aid Kit the same day:
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090122.p.Car_First_Aid_Kit

I plan to get both so next time a bulb goes on me in the middle of a journey, i can pull in, change the bulb, then bandage my hand up that will no doubt be all cuts from reaching in to get it!

Nothing to see here. Just noticed lidl have 3 different types of those kits. I thought they only had one which would have been silly.

Like me.

Advertisement