Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs in Sydney?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

I'm traveling to Sydney in April for 2 and a half weeks and just wanted to know if anyone could help me out and tell me how expensive or cheap it is over there.
    I have free accommodation with a kitchen (staying with a friends cousin) so won't have to be eating out every night but a general idea of costs would be great....
    Or even if anyone who has done the same trip could tell me how much spending money they would recommend.
    I only found out I was going on Monday (my friend is paying for my flight!! :o ) so I haven't really got all that much time to get a large amount of money together for it.
    If anyone could suggest must do things to do in Sydney as well that would be great. Obviously I'm not going to get to see everything in 2 weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Hi there,

Sydney is a relatively cheap city when paying for the trip with Euro, what i find is that everything is the same price as at home, so if a dinner costs 30euro at home it would be 30 dollars here which is far cheaper.

I have been living in Sydney 7 months now and find it much cheaper than when i lived in Dublin.

Drink prices are more similar to at home.

Things to do:

Opera House
    Harbour Bridge( you can climb this but its very expensive,id recommend sydney tower instead if your tight on budget and do the skywalk instead its twice the height of the bridge, if you have the money do the climb too)
    Sydney Tower and Skywalk ( you literally walk out on top pf the tower its class and not too scary)
    Circular Quay( small boat trip over to Manly)
    Orbit Bar in Australia square on George St ( revolving bar with fantastic views of the city)
    Dinner at the rocks
    Milsons Point ( the best view of city in my opionion)
    Go for dinner and drinks in Darling Harbour
    Tarongo zoo(sp?)
    Bondi Beach, Tamarama beach and bronte, all can be seen by doing the Bondi to Coogee walk you wont be disappointed.
    Day trip to blue mountains
    Day trip to Palm Beach
    Overnight stay in Hunter Valley( 2.5 hours north)

hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

By the way you wont see everything in 2.5 weeks but you'l see a hell of alot.
    If you want a relaxing holiday though id recommend you to cut some stuff out or do a hop on- hop off bus for at least one day which will cover most of the attractions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Thanks a million for that. Just got a message this morning from my friend to say that we're now going to Melbourne instead!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Drink prices are more similar to at home.

Where the hell do you drink? :eek: :confused: All my sessions were pretty much half the price of home.

OP, a pint of decent Aussie beer (Tooheys Extra Dry) is about 2.80 euros in a city centre pub or nightclub. A dbl vodka and coke is about 7 euro. A pint of Aussie dirt beer is even cheaper by pitcher, but that stuff (Tooheys New) really is below Dutch Gold, absoloute filth not worth buying. Bottle of foreign (Heineken being the most widely available) is about 4 euro- all the way from Holland to Oz and still cheaper than home.

Taxis, eating out, enjoying yourself generally is exactly half the price. lot of clubs and pubs even give out the odd complimentary drink or hold conpetitions to win some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

thanks for your helps lads. .... unfortunately oz isn't happening now... thanks to Michael Dell and his cost cutting :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement