Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car and LCV market down 75%

Options
  • 07-01-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Got the 5 day stats from a friend of mine today and it dosent look good. Car and van sales combined are down 75% so far. At this rate we wont have a main dealer left in the country by March. Scary times...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've the same stats myself and it doesn't make pleasant reading. While it doesn't look great, I'd sooner wait and see the 10 day figures next week to get a better look at how bad things are.

Up to close of business yesterday 4784 passenger and 376 LCV have been registered. In the first 10 days of January last year 23222 passenger and 4028 LCV were registered. So no, it definitely does not look good.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

autostar%201-large.jpg

This particular ship is parked up pretty much in Cork City centre with nowhere to go and nothing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

crosstownk wrote: »
    I've the same stats myself and it doesn't make pleasant reading. While it doesn't look great, I'd sooner wait and see the 10 day figures next week to get a better look at how bad things are.

Up to close of business yesterday 4784 passenger and 376 LCV have been registered. In the first 10 days of January last year 23222 passenger and 4028 LCV were registered. So no, it definitely does not look good.......

And that was down on the year before.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

maidhc wrote: »
    autostar%201-large.jpg

This particular ship is parked up pretty much in Cork City centre with nowhere to go and nothing to do.

It used to do what? Car import?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

maidhc wrote: »
    autostar%201-large.jpg

Is it still there? Its ****in huge. It looks pretty class to have a huge ship like that visible as you drive into the city. Pity thats gonna be gone when this new bridge is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 The_Jabberwock

It's gone now. It's called the Autostar, its home port is in Madeira. Owned by Ugland of Norway. Here's some more stuff on it.
    Flag: Norway.
    2000, building yard: Tsuneishi Shipbuilding Co., Japan.
    Gross. 21.094t., net. 6329t., dwt. 6670t.
    Loa. 140,00m.,ll.101,12m., br.22,70m., dg.7,35m.
    Two Wartsila 8L46C diesel engines,
    2 screws, 16.800 hp, speed 20 kn.
    Ro-ro capacity: 1900 cars.
    Owner: NYK/ UECC.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's really their own fault. Some of the prices are absolutly ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

It's really their own fault. Some of the prices are absolutly ridiculous.

Agreed, with strong Euro Sterling every new car here is about 10% more expensive than UK, after VAT and VRT taken into account.

A lot of people will be loosing their jobs.

I dont mind car salesmen or estate agents loosing theirs because they did F*ckall in the last 10 years, a child could have done the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Agreed, with strong Euro Sterling every new car here is about 10% more expensive than UK, after VAT and VRT taken into account.

I dont mind car salesmen or estate agents loosing theirs because they did F*ckall in the last 10 years, a child could have done the same job.

There is nothing great about anyone loosing their job.

While car dealers and estate agents, etc have been overly greedy here during the good times it is the small people on the ground who work for them that will suffer the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

You are painting everyone with the same brush there, what about all the admin people who work in dealers or the trade in general, who work hard etc and would have little or no interaction with customers or prices etc and who have mortgages, kids etc. You are happy that they are losing their jobs? Pretty crap attitude to have. And not everyone of the sales guys out there was doing F'all as you put it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Nice to see you want me to lose my job. Cheers for that. Such a nice person. I bet Audichris would have something to say on this to. Didnt he mention a few guys he worked with getting layed off a while back? Guys with families to provide for n all that.

Thats not really a nice thing to say to anyone, about anyone, in any trade.

If you dont like the price of living in ireland, i suggest you F*ck off to england and live over there.

Oh,

Thanks again for hoping to see us lose our jobs.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I drove past that ship yesterday. The photo doesn't do it justice. It is just massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭shamalive

I drove past that ship yesterday. The photo doesn't do it justice. It is just massive.

Off topic I know but some more pics

BigShip005.jpg

BigShip021.jpg

BigShip072.jpg

BigShip123.jpg

BigShip283-1.jpg

Random059.jpg

BigShip309.jpg

credit to op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

The vast majority of estate agents and car salesmen have been raping the ordinary punter for years. You fake a relationship with unsuspecting purchaser and you lie about your product. About time you got hit with this. There was no need for you to begin with and now that people can buy direct from dealer or builder you are gone forever.
    Good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Hate seeing anyone lose their jobs but you cant fool all the people all of the time.
    Ill give you a quick example 2005 passat tdi new shape on sale in garage near me for 15000 euro! It was down from 16000 euro.

I can get this car in from uk cleared for less than 9000 euro!. They have to be a bit more realistic and stop looking for 4k plus on each car sale, Not them all btw but a lot of them were.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The vast majority of estate agents and car salesmen have been raping the ordinary punter for years. You fake a relationship with unsuspecting purchaser and you lie about your product. About time you got hit with this. There was no need for you to begin with and now that people can buy direct from dealer or builder you are gone forever.
    Good riddance.

smaller brush, less tar, please !

Good riddance.

What exactly is an "unsuspecting customer"? Last time i checked, most customers "suspected" they were interested in a car. ;)

We lie about our product? Care to back that one up? :rolleyes:

People can buy direct from a dealer? Thats what they've been doing for years son.....:D

We are clearly not gone forever either, as im still here. So are alot of others.

Its people with attitudes like yours who cause the scaremongering among the general public. If i was to guess, i'd bet you havent a clue about the motor trade, your only experience of it was walking around a dealer to waste everyones time.

Can i ask what trade you work in?

pipsqueak wrote: »
    Hate seeing anyone lose their jobs but you cant fool all the people all of the time.
    Ill give you a quick example 2005 passat tdi new shape on sale in garage near me for 15000 euro! It was down from 16000 euro.

I can get this car in from uk cleared for less than 9000 euro!. They have to be a bit more realistic and stop looking for 4k plus on each car sale, Not them all btw but a lot of them were.

AFAIK, this is mainly down to the sterling rate. Believe me, there is nothing like a mergin of €4000 being held on a 05 passat at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Good riddance.

I kind of agree with you m8. But not 100% of them are bast*rds! Only about 85%...

Thing is, resetion is hiting hard, but it is cleaning country from laizy bast*rds, who were sitting on their holes and getting twice bigger wages then athers working theyr arses off. I am not tallking only about dealers now.

Now as much as i hate dealers, i cant whatch people lossing theyr jobs like this.

Goverment is not helping with car sales aswell. Moust countrys lowering taxes, to biuld up buying power. But irish goverment just sits there on the hole and whatching everything colapse. Taxes on brand new cars should have been lowered long time ago.

In mine town i sow only 2 09" cars. One of them was basic fiesta, and ather one was s small koreon thing, i dont even know the name of that bike on 4 wheels....

AFAIK, this is mainly down to the sterling rate. Believe me, there is nothing like a mergin of €4000 being held on a 05 passat at the minute.

Exactly so why is he looking for 15k for a 05 passat? drop it to 11500 and make it realistic, Sterling last year was 70 pence to euro and dealers still had cars 4 grand up on uk prices. I know there is no margin of 4k being made on passats nowdays but they were making it in the good times!

• Advertisement

Exactly so why is he looking for 15k for a 05 passat? drop it to 11500 and make it realistic, Sterling last year was 70 pence to euro and dealers still had cars 4 grand up on uk prices. I know there is no margin of 4k being made on passats nowdays but they were making it in the good times!

I would imagine its standing him a lot more than 15k, so maybe he's just reluctant to take a big hit on it.

I would imagine its standing him a lot more than 15k, so maybe he's just reluctant to take a big hit on it.

Yea i suppose, he also has a 06 passat tdi for 19k! wish him luck with that

Yea i suppose, he also has a 06 passat tdi for 19k! wish him luck with that

He'll have that for a loooong time.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

I don't think a lot of people here understand how the motortrade works, that garage probably has that car as a trade-in and offered their customer a good price for their car which is why it looks expensive and not because the dealer is sticking a 4k margin on it, one of the reasons cars sales are down 75% is that dealers are fully aware of the prices up North and to compete with them they have to offer less money for their trade-ins and it's costing customers too much to change and they are not dealing, so you can't have it both ways , low trade-in price = low retail price and high trade-in price = high retail price, simple economics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I don't get why they're loathe to take a hit on cars now. What are they holding out for? It's only going to depreciate in value the longer they keep hanging onto it. All indications show the recession continuing on for at least this year. By hanging on now, they're going to lose out even more in the long run as people will have even less money and the car will be that much older. Take a hit now to avoid a bigger hit in a few months time

ellobee wrote: »
    I don't think a lot of people here understand how the motortrade works, that garage probably has that car as a trade-in and offered their customer a good price for their car which is why it looks expensive and not because the dealer is sticking a 4k margin on it, one of the reasons cars sales are down 75% is that dealers are fully aware of the prices up North and to compete with them they have to offer less money for their trade-ins and it's costing customers too much to change and they are not dealing, so you can't have it both ways , low trade-in price = low retail price and high trade-in price = high retail price, simple economics

yup sure i agree but these simple economics are simply not working at the moment, we are living in different times and unfortunately he will have to be realistic and drop that 19k price tag down to at least 12k grand and start clearing his stock asap or they will sit there for months depreciating while everyone goes to the uk. Better off getting 12k now, taking the hit and reevaluating his stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

ellobee wrote: »

The simplest rule of economics is something is only worth what a person is prepared to pay for it.

I think the majority of dealers have taken a hit on their stock to get rid of it and essentially start over fresh.

Obviously there are exceptions out there, there will be cars out there that are standing dealers too much in the first place - meaning there is only so much of a hit they can take.

It is being done, but i guess it will take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

yup sure i agree but these simple economics are simply not working at the moment, we are living in different times and unfortunately he will have to be realistic and drop that 19k price tag down to at least 12k grand and start clearing his stock asap or they will sit there for months depreciating while everyone goes to the uk. Better off getting 12k now, taking the hit and reevaluating his stock.

I agree with what your saying and I think a lot of dealers are reducing their prices and taking a big hit, but I think it's important that people understand why the prices were high in the first place, I mean it's not a level playing pitch when their(UK) vat rate is 6.5% less than ours and they have zero VRT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Good riddance.

What a myopic tw*t

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement