Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affects of the Icy Conditions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

back to the rain and wind from friday nite :(
    have to say im disapointed that we got no snow after being so cold for so long we didnt even get a flake here in meath :(
    is there any chance that the high might refuse to move and push the atlantic fronts back?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

arctictree wrote: »
    Don't leave your taps in the on position as when they thaw, water will come gushing out and you may not be there!

Oh god I never thought of that :eek ! :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No water again today. Baby will have to get Ballygowan in her bottle now - as if the Cow and Gate wasn't dear enough! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Went sideways around a roundabout at 6 this morning due to the ice on the road, regained control and order was restored and i also need new wiper blades for the car.

€35 for new ones in Halfords i nearly got sick and walked straight back out the door.

Had the neighbours in tonight looking for water - seemingly over half the estate is out also. I wonder how the river is :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The underlit pond that encircles the apartments opposite Dundrum Town Centre is frozen over. The lights are still working, even under the ice. Very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I wonder what they do in Germany/Poland to stop the water freezing in the mains pipes with much lower temps?

Insulation is the key word here.

Bury them deep enough outside and insulate the house properly, no exposed pipes.

Remember one winter with several days of under -20 (like this winter in Germany). Many things froze, but not the water or heating in houses. No tanks in the attic (attic is well insulated anyway). Oil tanks are inside the house as well for that reason.

BTW ..it's an interesting sensation when the inside of your nose freezes solid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Nothing spectacular but here in Dublin (live next to Glasnevin Met office), I have a large glass square vase(one foot tall,6 inches wide) sitting on patio that had filled with rainwater. It has been frozen solid and impressive looking for past few weeks and most of last 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

all good things must end. although, those crying out for a shower might be glad it's coming to an end. now it's time to begin the countdown for our long overdue foot of snow:(

EFFECTS OF THE THAW

Horrible muck and skutter on the road. 15 mile journey this morning completly destroyed my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Was driving over the reservoir here earlier.

The ice was melted over most of the lake but the southerly wind had created waves which were piling broken up ice against the dam. Was spectacular to see but unfortunately we were in a hurry and the wife wouldn't let me stop to take a weather pic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was driving over the reservoir here earlier.

The ice was melted over most of the lake but the southerly wind had created waves which were piling broken up ice against the dam. Was spectacular to see but unfortunately we were in a hurry and the wife wouldn't let me stop to take a weather pic!!
    I was cycling past that this morning but was totally shattered so the aesthetics were lost on my slavering mouth and runny nose!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The last of the ice was still in the yard here this afternoon which is incredible given the strong southerly and the fact it didnt freeze last night here.

Also I was talking to a neighbour this evening who works down at Arklow harbour who said it was frozen over for 2 days and people were going down all day to look at it.The seagulls were coming in to land and were getting a shock to find solid ice instead of water.Damn I should have went in to look!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

The ground in the fields was still frozen today only a few mm's below the top surface and it still felt rock hard underfoot.

Advertisement