Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have St. Bernard or Irish Wolfhound?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here has owned St. Bernard or Irish Wolfhounds. Curious as to the costs involved with these breeds.

Our labrador/retriever cross was knocked down last week and I know my parents are anxious to get a new dog pretty soon, the place just doesn't seem the same.

She was our second cross and we never had any trouble with them, my aunts still have small kids and they had a great temperament.

I've always wanted to have one of these breeds but just curious as to owners experiences here.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cottage Rescue

I have had two of each of these breeds here in the rescue recently.

2 Wolfhounds cost €64.00 to feed per 2 weeks "Royal Canin for Great Dane" It is the best food for Wolfhounds even though it is a Great Dane feed.

And the 2 St Bernards feed costs were similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

i had three wolfhounds once .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

What are Irish Wolfhounds like as pets? Are they good with children and other dogs generally? I believe I read that through some bad breeding going on they have developed more of an iffy temperament. I would love to have a rescue one eventually if they were a suitable choice for us. Do they come up in rescue here much?

They make great pets but take it from one who knows .... They need a huge house to loll about in, they are very much into their humans and do not do well in an out door environment.

The odd Irish Wolfhound does end up in rescue the same as Deerhounds but not very often.

They need a huge amount of exercise each day and can cover a vast amount of ground quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Cheers for the replies.

There would be around 120 acres at home for any dog, much enjoyed by any dog we had previously.

I think the cost is a bit high though, might just get a dog from a home instead.

Cheers again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

my cousin had a lovely wolfie when i was a wee one!! i was just a toddler and i wold wrap my arms around his neck and my feet would be dangling i mid air and he would trot around with me like this!! he was a lovely hound....and super good withg me and all kids he encountered.

i thought they were well kown for their sweet temprement

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

They make great pets they can sqeeze themselves onto a chair.They need to be able to run and a lot of room.I used to exercise mine while riding my horse on the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 luvablelizzie

No selling animals on this forum.
    Have an infraction for breaking the rules.

Thanks for the offer Liz, if I was living at home full time I would definitely take the dog but as I am away from home 90% of the week I can't ask my parents to mind another dog. I might know someone that would be interested however, I'll pass on your number.

We got this pup last Wednesday, lovely little Retriever, great to have a dog around the place again.

3286477442_cf9bac17f9.jpg?v=0

3285661051_49a9c3db81.jpg?v=0

WOW that is quite big money to be selling a non pedigree for and as far as I am aware you are not allowed to sell animals on this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Kev- the new pup is a fab little fella! Have you chosen a name yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

Have neither of those breeds but do have a great dane. They are a fantastic dog and really need to live indoors with you. We feed her Husse and it costs about €60 per month. Insurance was about 260 i think. If you are interested in a dane have a look at this link
    http://www.irishdanerescue.com/homesneeded.html

00112984 wrote: »
    Kev- the new pup is a fab little fella! Have you chosen a name yet?

:D

I was watching the rugby in a pub in Dublin with a few mates when my mam texted to know had we any ideas for names. Suggestions included Bob, Giuseppe, Dr. Kenneth Noisewater, Fluffy, Snowball, Mahatma Puppy, Dicey Reilly and Knoxville. Needless to say we had a few jars on board. :o:o

They eventually settled on Jessy, suggested by my sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cabinit

I have a cross bred. Mother, St Bernard, father, Irish Wolfhound. When I'm trying to explain to people what he is, I call him a BerWolf, makes things a lot easier. He is one of the most even tempered dog I have ever had, not an aggressive bone in his body. His main problem is his size, he is immense, much bigger than his dad, he weighs eleven and a half stone and is only two years old. Its true you need to be fit so you can give him the exercise he needs. I'm not so one learns to be clever and get him his exercise by such means as are available. However, I draw the line at keeping him indoors, he is just too big. In feeding terms, he eats about twenty euros every two weeks. Vet visits tend to be expensive. But he is the best companion and friend i have ever had, can't recommend big dogs highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Awww!
    He's adorable, congrats Kev!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

cabinit wrote: »
    I have a cross bred. Mother, St Bernard, father, Irish Wolfhound. When I'm trying to explain to people what he is, I call him a BerWolf, makes things a lot easier. He is one of the most even tempered dog I have ever had, not an aggressive bone in his body. His main problem is his size, he is immense, much bigger than his dad, he weighs eleven and a half stone and is only two years old. Its true you need to be fit so you can give him the exercise he needs. I'm not so one learns to be clever and get him his exercise by such means as are available. However, I draw the line at keeping him indoors, he is just too big. In feeding terms, he eats about twenty euros every two weeks. Vet visits tend to be expensive. But he is the best companion and friend i have ever had, can't recommend big dogs highly enough.

more pics please what an unusual mix but he's gorgeous. We've a newf we keep indoors don't find his size a prob, hes a clown but great to have him about the house entertaining us! The running costs of these big dogs is fairly hight though, insurance, vets, food, and toys don't last kissin time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i had a gorgeous st bernard , hes dead nearly 18 months now , tinkers poisioned him , i used to spend on average 50 quid a month on food for him

Advertisement