Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What 4X4's classify as Crewcabs?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hey all! Just asking this on behalf of my parents who are looking to upgrade.. They want to get a 4X4 something with a lot of boot space for my Dads work. They've found some great motors up the North and over the pond, however the killer is the VRT rate.. which more often than not is more expensive than the actual price of the car!! Anyways, they're thinking of getting a Crewcab (Partly so they can avail of the lower VRT rate) I know this is a tricky question as it's very subjective and the guidelines are a bit on the vague side.. But I'm just thinking if anyone else here was looking at Crewcabs at some stage they may know what does/not qualify as a Crewcab.. From my understanding the wheelbase/boot space has to be at least 45% of the entire vehicle? So does anyone know of a 5 seater 4X4 which would meet this requirement? Preferably something like a BMW X3, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tuscon, Ssangyong Kyron.. Something that's like 2.0 max.. Don't want to be getting into 3.0 with the high road tax and all.. Soooo... is it possible to find something that's around a 2.0 litre, high up, has 4 seats, large boot space AND qualifies as a Crewcab or is this asking for too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm pretty sure that that particular envelope is just a smidgen too tight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

hi, if its for work why doesnt he go for a true commercial like an L200 Animal or Warrior - they are great and some good deals on them at the moment and vrt will be commerical rates or low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

But if its a crew cab isnt charged commercial tax rate?? Then any large diesel ie bout 2.5 liters is charged the 257 a year tax rate.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

having went to the tax office and having a conversation with the woman there before buying my 4x4, ive discovered this,

if you want 50 euro VRT the following crew cab vehicles dont count

iszuzu D-Max
    mitsubishi L200
    Toyota Hi-Lux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

iszuzu D-Max
    mitsubishi L200
    Toyota Hi-Lux

Good. I wish they'd close the whole "it's just like a car with 5 seats but weighs 5 tonnes" loophole altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

having went to the tax office and having a conversation with the woman there before buying my 4x4, ive discovered this,

iszuzu D-Max
    mitsubishi L200
    Toyota Hi-Lux

Navaras do though dont they?

and 13% on an l200 wouldnt be too bad either.

its not a loophole zube, crewcab pickups are desined for building crews/ road crews etc. they are true commercial vehicles and imo deserve to fit under the 50 euro VAT depending on size

Advertisement