Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car : C Class Sport or S Line A4

Options
  • 07-01-2009 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

So getting a new car this week for my mother, im trading in her 06 A4 s line for either a new A4 2.0tdi sline 143bhp or a new c class sport either a c200 cdi or a c220 cdi, whats your opinions what should i go for? Or even any other suggestions? Not a bm tho! Iv been to two audi garages and i couldnt believe how not interested they were! I thought they would be mad to sell! Also could somebody tell me what the vrt would be on a c200 cdi and a c220 cdi i cant seem to get it? Im thinking going white in either car?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why not a BMW? I'm thinking i'd prefer a 320d to either the Mercedes or the Audi. I like white, but it'll still cost dearly come resale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

This is a very personal choice, both very good cars. And I assume you want a new car as opposed to a bigger and better value 1 year old car? I would go for the Merc, the Audi looks just like very plain to my eyes. The Merc, with the right colour and spec looks great and feels more special inside, it also is far more comfortable, the Audi's ride is more unforgiving. But please, don't buy white, 5 minutes out of the showroom and you will regret your choice, never mind when you come to try and sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If it's for your mother, should she not drive the car before you buy.

As for the garage, be prepared to hear sub €20k offers on the 06, and don't take offence because it's pointless, if they see you're interested AFTER that, they will deal with you. Dealers are despondent at the moment.

Your mothers 06 isn't worht the same as the ones on the forecourt that have been there for months.

I've been getting a surprising amount of good sentiment vibes towards Frank Hogan in Limerick in the last 6 months, for a garage that was one to seriously avoid before. He deals in both marques, so a trip down the country *might* be worthwhile. I've even had a positive experience there myself whilst "tyre-kicking" for my dad who still hasn't bought a bloody car though he did come home today saying he'd seen a lovely Mazda 6, of the problematic diesel variety though:(

You'll probably be parting with in the region of €30-€35k cash, so I wouldn't risk the white in those particular cars.

The Benz C220 CDI Sport @ €49k/€55k falls into Motor Tax category D in Manual and E in Auto (€447 and €630)

The A4 is better with the manual Sport 2.0 TDI 170BHP (as opposed to 120 or 143) being €44k and having tax of €156 in band B and the Multitronic auto of the same engine not being available the 143BHP is in band C with €302 tax and a price tag of €44k also. There is also the option of the 2.7TDI 190BHP Multitronic Sport being approx €54k with tax of €447, this would be my choice if I were in the position to buy my mother a car from either of those options.

Edit: I'd have it in Misano Red pearl. If interested in the A4 you could do worse than sending AudiChris a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would go with the C220 - I think the sport model particularly in white or black looks the biz

Forget about the UK as by the time you've shifted your own car there will probably be a new A4 out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Id go for the c220 myself although im pretty sure there is supposed to be a new diesel coming out seen. Not sure if there is an irish release date yet though. The c-class is the right spec is the best car in that class without question imo. Best looking, nicest interior and best ride quality. Best to drive too. Audis are incredibly harsh in my experience. That graphite grey is a nice safe colour in them and id say it would hold its value in a colour like that well. Pop a set of 17 inch alloys on it and you have a very comfortable car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭DirtyOilBurner

Selling her own car isnt really an issue, so if there was one in the uk we'd buy it straight away, the only one i can get at the minute in an audi garage in ireland fully loaded is a 2.0 143bhp and its coming in at 52k i think duty paid and all id have a top spec in from uk for max 40K euro, she's not pushed what car she gets she'd just as happily keep her own but if ya keep them too long there worth nothing, getting quotes in or around 17K for the 06 a4 1.9tdi s line 115bhp, black with 110k kilometers, bought from audi ireland new and perfect service history!

Selling her own car isnt really an issue, so if there was one in the uk we'd buy it straight away, the only one i can get at the minute in an audi garage in ireland fully loaded is a 2.0 143bhp and its coming in at 52k i think duty paid and all id have a top spec in from uk for max 40K euro, she's not pushed what car she gets she'd just as happily keep her own but if ya keep them too long there worth nothing, getting quotes in or around 17K for the 06 a4 1.9tdi s line 115bhp, black with 110k kilometers, bought from audi ireland new and perfect service history!

Don't forget VAT on the car if it's new. 21.5% of 40k is a fair whack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭DirtyOilBurner

Didnt realise there was vat to be paid on a new one, so you'd have to pay uk vat of 15% and 21.5%vat here?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you wouldn't be paying VAT on 40k or anything like it.

Say an A4 2.0TDI sline, 25795 list in uk, broadspeed has them at 22875.
    less Vat about 19500. covert to euro today 21500 + 21% VAT is about 26600.
    vrt is €8125 for stat code 40286733 .

So car is about €35k landed. Sline is a decent spec so prob won't have too many extras
    to add to that.

copacetic wrote: »
    you wouldn't be paying VAT on 40k or anything like it.

Say an A4 2.0TDI sline, 25795 list in uk, broadspeed has them at 22875.
    less Vat about 19500. covert to euro today 21500 + 21% VAT is about 26600.
    vrt is €8125 for stat code 40286733 .

So car is about €35k landed. Sline is a decent spec so prob won't have too many extras
    to add to that.

Apologies...I meant at as opposed to of. Still though I'd go for the 2.7 Multi with a few bits £34k incl VAT so , OMSP is apparently €46k, though new price is €55k, you could have one in for about €32k ex vat plus €7k VAT and €11k VRT €48/50k ish including VAT and VRT assuming they don't check the leather and heated seats in which case bump up the VRT a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you buy a 6 month or older car with more than 6000 miles in the UK then you don't have to pay VAT on it here afaik. There is better value in nearly new cars in the UK.

key point mentioning the multitronic, OP are we talking manual or auto.
    I test drove both his cars last year and had an issue with the driving position/operation in the manual of both of them.

In the A4 the pedals are offset, they didn't bother to set the car up properly for right hand drive imo. It feels weird and it you are banging your foot of the dead pedal the whole time. Apparently you 'get used to it' but I found it very annoying that something so obvious was left like that on a brand new design of car. Auto is a good move in the A4 for this reason imo.

In the Merc, they have that stupid foot operated parking brake. It is fine if the car is an auto, but again incredibly annoying and stupid for a manual. Apparently you 'get used to it' also. I don't know how. I wouldn't go near one that isn't an auto for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

copacetic wrote: »
    ...broadspeed has them at 22875.
    less Vat about 19500.
    Sorry to correct you, but a lot of people get this wrong. VAT rate is 15%, so to find the pre-VAT price you divide the VAT-inclusive price by 1.15, not multiply it by 0.85 as you seem to have done (this calculates to 19,444). So, the pre-VAT price in your example is 19,891.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Sorry to correct you, but a lot of people get this wrong. VAT rate is 15%, so to find the pre-VAT price you divide the VAT-inclusive price by 1.15, not multiply it by 0.85 as you seem to have done (this calculates to 19,444). So, the pre-VAT price in your example is 19,891.

no problem, I did it in my head so put in the 'about' to cover myself, you are right of course. I rounded up a little later so it is still 35k (ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

she's not pushed what car she gets she'd just as happily keep her own but if ya keep them too long there worth nothing, getting quotes in or around 17K for the 06 a4 1.9tdi s line 115bhp, black with 110k kilometers, bought from audi ireland new and perfect service history!
    Hang on a minute - she'd be happy to keep her current car? That's what you do so, your plan makes little enough financial sense to start with, but absolutely none if she's content to stay in the car she has now.

Advertisement