Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dunnes and fujitsu siemens laptop??

Options
  • 07-01-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

My father in-law bought a fujitsu laptop from dunnes about 3 months ago, it stopped working and brought it back to dunnes and they told him, that its not their problem and that he had to deal with fujitus seimens. does he have to deal with dunnes or fujitsu??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

he can deal with dunnes if he chooses too.
    that is within his rights.

he probably has a support contract with the manufcaturer that he can use IF HE WISHES TO, but he doesnt have to.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

Q3. If I have a problem with faulty goods, where should I go to?

When you make a purchase, your contract is with the seller of the goods and if there is a problem with the product it is up to the seller to put things right.
    However, depending on the nature of the product and the problem arising with it, you may find it more convenient to deal directly with the manufacturer.
    This could arise, for example, where call out arrangements need to be made with the servicing staff of the manufacturing firm.
    In such circumstances, you should make it clear to the company from which you purchased the product that your contract is with them.
    Dealing directly with the distributor/manufacturer does not exempt the seller from their obligations if their further involvement is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

thanks subway, you have been very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

personally if i was him i'd go directly to siemens. He's within his rights to go through dunnes but they'll probably just make a shambles of it and lose it or something.

If you go back to Dunnes and argue your point, MrPants, can you come back and let us know how you got on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's his right to have dunnes deal with it !!!!

Should he have them deal with it is another question, for me i'd go with siemans on this one however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

If the laptop was working for three months, then it is highly unlikely to be a manufacturing defect. It is far more likely that the problem was caused by the user.

If it is a hardware problem then you should probably contact Siemens to discuss it with their trained staff. If it is a problem with Windows then you must contact the manufacturer for support

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

thanks everbody, he brought it back to dunnes coz he isnt really computer minded and he is worried about ringing siemens coz if they ask him any techish questions he wouldnt know what they are on about. i have talked to him and it seems to be a power supply problem with the unit itself. i will keep ya's updated anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

mrpants wrote: »
    thanks everbody, he brought it back to dunnes coz he isnt really computer minded and he is worried about ringing siemens coz if they ask him any techish questions he wouldnt know
    That is what the helpline there is for to help with and to explain so I'd not worry about this if delath with FS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

jahalpin wrote: »
    If the laptop was working for three months, then it is highly unlikely to be a manufacturing defect. It is far more likely that the problem was caused by the user.

If it is a hardware problem then you should probably contact Siemens to discuss it with their trained staff. If it is a problem with Windows then you must contact the manufacturer for support
    just to point out here, that just becuase an issue does not arise within the first 3 months does not preclude from being a non user hardware fault.

hardware can fail at any time in its life cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

subway wrote: »
    just to point out here, that just becuase an issue does not arise within the first 3 months does not preclude from being a non user hardware fault.

hardware can fail at any time in its life cycle

+1 been there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Mrpants when you say its not working what exactly is wrong with it?

If it is something Siemens can fix then you are best going back to them. As Dunnes are never going to be able to fix it for you anyway and will most likely send it back to Siemens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    personally if i was him i'd go directly to siemens. He's within his rights to go through dunnes but they'll probably just make a shambles of it and lose it or something.
    dunnes breaking it even further or losing it or throwing it out with the rubbish would make no difference to dunne's obligation regarding repair replace or refunding for the faulty item.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

foggy_lad wrote: »
    breaking it even further or losing it or throwing it out with the rubbish would make no difference to dunne's obligation regarding repair replace or refunding for the faulty item.

true but it would cause unnecessary hassle for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 43 vanman

i work for dunnes and they would send it back to siemens,why dont you get the buyer of the computer to bring it back to dunnes,ask for a replacement for the damaged one,and hand back the damaged one, and dunnes will be credited from siemens for the damaged one,we do this on a regular basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

^^ I'd be extremely surprised if Siemens credit Dunnes for a three month old faulty laptop. A laptop that fails upon power up, or within a week or two of purchase, or is opened out of the box damaged, yes, but after three months...

@OP: From experience, Siemens are pretty good with regards after sales service. The guys on the phone don't break off into techtalk (unless you want them to) and they're generally very quick with regards repairs/replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

fujitsu siemens are notoriously hard to get credit from.

infact..they dont do it. they will go to the ends of the earth to repair a pc over the phone and will not accept a unit back with any marks on it.

thats why you dont see them stock as much in PC stores across the country, the retailer (and customer) doesnt want that crap

Advertisement