Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feeling low?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi!
    Im feeling depressed after coming back to school after Christmas. The mocks are just round the corner...you all know yourselves. 5 months left at school, that is the only thing keeping me going! To top it all off my 18th is tomorrow and I couldn't feel worse!
    Anyone else feeling frustrated at this point?
    xx:confused:xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭K-Bowie

Happy B-Day first and foremost, secondly look at it this way were finished in a few months then its party time :D:D:D:D:D we can go wildddd :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Mocks are in 5 and a half weeks :mad:

I am a little low.............

[Happy Bday!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobic

This is always a crappy time of the year for most people unfortunately. Don't be looking forward to finishing school as work really sucks, unless your going to college then you will probably have a great time. And happy birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Ah come on, it's the LC, it's supppposed to make us feel like crap. Sure feels like it a lot of the time anyway.

Chin up, and keep trucking. The mocks aren't everything, in fact they mean very little, besides giving you a slight insight. There's no need to stress too much. There may be 5 weeks til the mocks, but there's 5 months til the real thing, loads of time to work when you get down to it! January blues and all that, but think of this way, once the mocks are over you've got the midterm! :D (Unless your school are doing it midterm then mocks :()

And OP, Happy Birthday! :D Enjoy it without worrying about exams, you've still loads of time to study!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

hey
    happy birthday,cheer up!:D
    were all in it together,We have to focus for a few months and then have a great summer.Im sure the feeling of relief we will get when we finish will be incredible.Its important to realise that this year causes alot of stress and when you feel yourself getting stressed out just take a little while to relax,watch tv,go for a walk,have a smoke,whatever is your thing.Your health should be top priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Happy Birthday!

I'm feeling the same but I just keep thinking only 5 months to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Mocks are in two months! Loads of time!

Sorry for rubbing it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

happy birthday....:D try and go out with your friend more....it reduces the stress alot !!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Have a good cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

^Probably the best advice IMHO, I always feel better after a good cry :p I feel the exact same though, haven't done a tap of study and I need high points. Ah well, we're all in the same boat and feeling the pressure more than we let on! All the cool customers who are acting like it doesn't bother them at all will probably be the ones feeling even more down and nervous than you! It's good to talk :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Please please please don't get all upset over the L.C

I'm a first year student in college, and remember feeling like the world was falling apart around me at this time last year. I got through it, and I don't know how to be honest.

Your mocks are just that, mocks. One lad I know got 120(!!!) in his mocks, and ended up with 390 on the real thing. It might be a wake up call. Never mind wake up calls actually, because to be honest its only around now you really should be getting stuck in, unless you've 600 points on your mind!

YOU HAVEN'T LEFT IT TOO LATE. You're not fecked. Its seriously not that bad. A week or two before the real deal, please ignore as many mdia outlets as you can. Stick to the Mp3 player, no telly, no radio....even no boards. Constant talk about the LC wont help relax you at all.

You'll all be fine. I only ever joined boards to discuss the LC, and last year the class of '08 were all the exact same.

Its worth it in the end, if you want the rainbow you have to go through the pissings of rain :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

poisonated wrote: »
    have a smoke

That is defo good for the auld health.:pac:

JSK 252 wrote: »
    That is defo good for the auld health.:pac:

Tried to post that last night, but just as I hit post someone turned off the modem downstairs :pac:

Just try and have a laugh during the year (An alien concept I know) 6th year is pretty good craic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

This time last year all the 08 LC's were feeling exactly like you are now and guess what ... this year we are 1st years in college and the LC is long forgotten! Don't let it take over your life, do your homework every night and listen in class everyday then you'll be fine. Life goes on after the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Please please please don't get all upset over the L.C

I'm a first year student in college, and remember feeling like the world was falling apart around me at this time last year. I got through it, and I don't know how to be honest.

Your mocks are just that, mocks. One lad I know got 120(!!!) in his mocks, and ended up with 390 on the real thing. It might be a wake up call. Never mind wake up calls actually, because to be honest its only around now you really should be getting stuck in, unless you've 600 points on your mind!

YOU HAVEN'T LEFT IT TOO LATE. You're not fecked. Its seriously not that bad. A week or two before the real deal, please ignore as many mdia outlets as you can. Stick to the Mp3 player, no telly, no radio....even no boards. Constant talk about the LC wont help relax you at all.

You'll all be fine. I only ever joined boards to discuss the LC, and last year the class of '08 were all the exact same.

Its worth it in the end, if you want the rainbow you have to go through the pissings of rain :rolleyes:

Totally concur! I'm in first year in college too, and this time last year I was the same as ye...knew i had to concencrate and study but just couldn't. Thought I left it way too late but its never too late!
    I don't want to encourage the idiots that think they never need to study but the amount of study some people do for the LC is criminal :eek:
    I know its tough now and its cliched but....just stick in there!
    This time next year youl be on the pigs back i promise ya :cool:
    And Happy birthday as well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Happy Birthday!

Yeah this time is pretty stressful cos we have actual exams to do in 3 weeks, though they don't count for anything we'll see how much we really don't know and it'll be a bit disheartening at times. Never fear though! Sure you might get crappy mock results, but so what? It'll probably just spur you to work harder and you'll know what you need to revise for the actual LC. I'm sure a week or even a few days after the mocks you wont feel nearly as low as you do now!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Being back and having it constantly drummed in that it's so many weeks to the mocks, so many weeks to the orals then it's only so many weeks until the exams - it's all scare tactics to get you motivated.

I know myself that I should kick it into high gear, and get into the books - it sounds easier than it is. But as far as I'm concerned, there's loads of time to go over the course, prepare essays and key points etc.

My History teacher admitted that he'd fail anyone at the drop of a hat in the mocks - 'motivation' is what he calls it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

macroman wrote: »
    My History teacher admitted that he'd fail anyone at the drop of a hat in the mocks - 'motivation' is what he calls it :rolleyes:

I hate that crap.
    I did LC last year...did 8 honours subjects.....basically did no study for the 2 subjects i did worst in in the mocks.

There's no point in destroying confidence......but ya....off the point...soz

Any lowness will be cured by Leathermouth, I assure you, I want that album to be out soooooo much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

yeah i get horribly down about it.
    i end up crying about it at least once a week.
    despite trying really hard for some subjects im not pulling out results anyway close to what id like.
    but im looking at my backup options like if i dont get the points for the courses i want ill do a plc and then try again next year.
    i get freakishly stress about exams like this..even have started to loose my hair...thank you stress aloplecia(sp).thankfully ive a lion like mane that is as thick as two peoples normal hair.
    only thing i can say is going out and having fun does kill the stress a bit,well for anyhow,and after doing a bit of work i feel a bit better aswell.
    thankfully my low patches only last a few hours at most

oh and happy birthday
    go and enjoy yourself this weekend.may aswell let your hair down before you've to knuckle

and to however has their mocks in 2 months you lucky feckers mine are 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Ah, I feel a bit low at times too.
    Then I realise that this is the exact mentality which has led to me repeating.
    Chin up, it's only another few months. It's not all as bad as it's made out to be. It's just a game, really.
    (I'm sorry, this blog needs to be posted here.. it's all too relevent: http://leaving-cert.net/why-i-like-the-leaving-cert/)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

bythewoods wrote: »
    Ah, I feel a bit low at times too.
    Then I realise that this is the exact mentality which has led to me repeating.
    Chin up, it's only another few months. It's not all as bad as it's made out to be. It's just a game, really.
    (I'm sorry, this blog needs to be posted here.. it's all too relevent: http://leaving-cert.net/why-i-like-the-leaving-cert/)

is that piste?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If it makes you feel any better, January/February were the worst months of sixth year for me. It all got better after that. (The mocks are possibly more stressful than the real thing, it's bizarre. But don't worry, it's so much easier once they're done!)
    I find I feel low/bad/useless when I haven't done any work. So working, while it seems all "eugh study eugh essays" cheers me up bizarrely. Then again, I am a bit of a workaholic. If you're worried about not studying though, even doing a bit can make you feel better (or possibly worse if you realise how much there is to be done, I suppose...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

my pres are in 3 weeks, i am scared -_-
    all i did last month was going out for 18th after 18th and xmas and new yrz
    oh broke up with my bf -___- took awhile to recover from that/...did no study ..so regretting but yea

rant over..HAPPY BSDAY ^^

my bsday is just after the pres ..cant w8 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

I know how you feel. My Study Topic, Geography Fieldwork and Tech Graphics Portfolio are miles behind everyone else due to sickness during the year. Haven't even picked a subject for the Study Topic!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Know what ya mean.

Finished christmas exams on christmas eve eve.
    Got mocks in little over 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 -Aviron-

Happy Birthday! :cool:

You'll feel alot better after the mocks.. Trust me I finished mine just before Christmas (weird I know but then again my school is weird)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Our school told us about the Christmas tests a week before they were on and will not give us a date for the mocks. F**king joke.

They're sending them away this year too and no doubt they'll screw that up too!

Meanwhile I just keep plodding along. Lovin' it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Well, our school sends away our pres to and it takes ages for them to come back (Mine did last year anyway) so it's a relief.

<begin rant>
    Yes, I'm feeling low too. I hate how I'm expected to know everything because I'm repeating and I get called on in class so much. "[Gloom], you should know this!" Um, I'm repeating because I didn't know it...

Christmas Results were horrible. I was quite content as they reflected my work effort so I wasn't upset. What annoyed me was everyone constantly asking how I did and comparing results. Spent the whole week in a slump, putting on a fake smile as people bragged about their results to me. I really hate that.

Less than 4 weeks to our Pres and I have a huge workload ahead of me. I'm a little scared and unfortunately, I'm very sick today. I'm online saving notes into Notepad to take down tomorrow and begin my study. Thankfully, my friends who are all off in college, each donated some notes to me and words of encouragement when they visited me so it's good.

The CAO form. Wow. I have no idea what to put down. I'd love to work in a hospital or do something which involves health. However, I do not want to do Nursing and I am unable to apply for Medicine this year (I don't do irish or french) so that leaves me with limited options. I'm not going to get 470+ by whinging.

I made the decision to repeat and damn it, I want it to be worth it when next year I'll be studying happily in TCD/UCD and living in Dublin.
    <end rant>

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest!

• Advertisement

Doesnt matter...........

Advertisement