Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRT54G Wireless woes

Options
  • 07-01-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

I have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router (WRT54G). My wireless was working fine until Sunday when it just stoped working. I have a local broadband provider with a dish on the chimney getting the signal. When I plug the ethernet cable from the router into my computer (like I'm doing now) I get an internet connection without any issues but when I try to get the wireless signal that is where my issues start.
    The WLAN light is showing and at times I can see the SSID being broadcast on my work laptop but this repeatedly drops and reconnects again. I am pulling my hair out at this stage over it, I have tried all the usual PD steps:

1. Powered and and powered up teh router again
    2. Soft reset on the router
    3. Reset the router by holding in the reset button for 40-50 seconds
    4. Changed wireless channels through all 13 available
    5. checked to see if anything was plugged in around the house over the weekend that could interfere with the signal
    6 upgraded the firmware to the latest version available for my version of the wrt54g (v5.1)
    7. Enabled and disabled security and used both WPA and WEP
    8. Restored factory Default Settings
    9. Unscrewed and re-screwed teh wireless antenna connections on the router

At this stage I am close to giving up on it and getting a new router but it is WRECKING my head as to what's up with this one!!! :mad: :confused: :mad:

Any help to get this going again would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Tommy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you considered that after all that the router may simply be broken? (you seem to have done all the right things in terms of trying to diagnose the problem) Any wireless senders around the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Yeah it has crossed my mind that the router could just be borked and am thinking about getting a new one. :(

Checked for any other wireless senders but couldn't find any.

The one last thing I will need to check though is if the Broadband provider has changed the frequency through which they are sending the signal to ensure that is not interfering with my signal..

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

not entirely impossible that the router is faulty, had two of these doing this recently, and the second was a brand new replacement for the first.. same thing as yourself router was fine until wireless turned on, then started dropping out and rebooting repeatedly.. it won't be anything to do with the service provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Did you have any luck with this, i am having the exact same problem with my Linksys WAP54G. Tried almost everything you tried but its still happening. So annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Believe it or not it just started working a few days later.. still don't know what caused it to stop working!

Although I have swore now that if it happens again it is going straight into the bin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭stanley1

dd-wrt or tomato firmware are a great improvement for these routers.

Advertisement