Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WildCat or T4/T8 moderator??

Options
  • 08-01-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

OK so now I'm in the market for a moderator for my 223.
    I like the idea of the over barrel designs.

I'm looking at the Wildcat WC 200 and like the way it can be stripped down for cleaning
    http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/sound_moderator_fullbore.htm

Or the T4/T8 which my son uses. But heard that they rust from the inside out.
    http://www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/

So the question is -- Is the Wildcat as good OR not as good as the T4/T8? Anyone use the Wildcat and T4/T8 for comparsion?
    What other over barrel design mods are out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i had a wild cat blow up on a 243 weld gave way on the near end ,got a snipers eye out of it . was not long after killing two deer and was shooting another one .would not use one again it was a few years old and maybe wore out but still .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Clive, I had a T8 and found it good the concerns about it rusting, I used to give it a good dose of wd40 inside every now and again. T8's can sound a bit tinny at first but once you put a few rounds the inside of them gets coated and the tinny sound goes away. There is also a problem with the blueing on your barrel under the T8 as the gasses can pit it.
    I do like the fact that the wild cat can be striped down .
    theres also the ASc.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Have to say I use the ASE Ultra on my .223 it's quiter than my mates .223 with a T8

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=1646

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Terrier wrote: »
    Have to say I use the ASE Ultra on my .223 it's quiter than my mates .223 with a T8

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=1646

I have to agree with that having heard both. Mate has one fitted to his 6.5x5.5 and is very quite.

BUT I have heard that there's a new mod out from ASE, the ASE Utra NorthStar that will fit the bill. Jackson Rifles are the importers. Looking at getting one in from them. Price is around £220.

Here are some excerpts:

"The NorthStar NS-3S is a high-performance, lightweight, stainless steel telescopic suppressor designed for centre-fire rifles up to 7.62 mm calibre. The suppressor combines Ase Utra's S-series baffle system with a primary expansion chamber sleeved over the barrel.
    The suppressor is an all stainless steel, welded unit rated for professional use on bolt-action, semi-automatic and select-fire weapons.
    The NS-3S suppressor adds only 630 grams weight and 100 mm net length to a typical rifle, and with an outside diameter of just 47.5 mm, the suppressor is slim enough to be used with low-mounted telescopic sights.

the stainless steel NorthStar suppressor is practically maintenance-free. Due to its advanced design and high internal operating temperature, the suppressor is largely self-cleaning. Any loose solid impurities, such as powder kernels or carbon chips, can be shaken out of the suppressor before and after use. Washing with liquids or solvents is not recommended.

Calibres
    .25 cal: up to 25-06 Rem
    .30 cal: up to 308 Win
    Weight
    630 g (22 oz)
    Net Length
    100 mm (4”)
    Mounting
    on barrel thread
    Sound Suppression (ref. US MIL-STD-1474D)
    24 to 28 dB(C)
    Flash Elimination
    Total
    Overall Length x Diameter
    197 x 47.5 mm (73/4” x 17/8”)
    Maintenance Interval (optional, cleaning only)
    5,000 rds
    Warranty
    2 years / 10,000 rds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I wouldn't worry about the gas damaging the finish on the barrel when using the T8, just take it off and give the barrel a wipe when you're finished.

A rifle should not be stored with its moderator on anyway. Its hard on the crown of the barrel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Jonty the constant removal and refitting of the moddy means the moddy is tightened to differant tolerences each time and this may have an effect on accuracy. Also there is no contact area with the crown and true constant use the hot gasses do take their toll on the finish of the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Jonty the constant removal and refitting of the moddy means the moddy is tightened to differant tolerences each time and this may have an effect on accuracy. Also there is no contact area with the crown and true constant use the hot gasses do take their toll on the finish of the barrel.

Not if the moddy is tightened to the same torque each time. I am aware that there is no contact area on the crown, but it is advisable not to store a rifle with a moddy on as moisture can enter the moddy and form a mild acid and corrode the crown of the barrel, and the rifling at the muzzle.

If a thick oil is used on the finish of the barrel ie. 10W40 it can prevent gas contact on a bare surface.

Moddys should be able to be removed and put on again without a change in POI. If this cannot be done either the screw cut is not true and the bullet is glancing off the baffles or the incorrect calibre moddy is fitted with insufficient clearances around the bullet.

I am able to remove my moddy and store the rifle and replace the moddy and without a change in POI. Maybe I'm lucky:)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

I have the predator8 for the past year or so and to be honest find it great!!

Search the forum for the survey I carried out some time ago. If your in trouble I can mail it to you.

Advertisement