Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nihonjin desu

Options
  • 08-01-2009 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm reading a book at the moment that has people conversing in Japanese - it's followed by the rough English version, so I'm not too out of my depth, but I'm trying to cover that bit and figure out what they're saying. It's all well and good until I got to a sentence structure I'd never seen before. The English version is simply "I'm Japanese" but the actual sentence is 'Nihonjin desu kara.' I've always thought 'Nihonjin desu' would be enough and I've only come across 'kara' in the context of 'from'. Does it mean something else here? Is this a dialect or regional thing? Literally, I'm from Japanese? Is it a typo perhap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Can you give the previous few sentences or the conversation for context?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 elfinka

most probably means "(that's) because I'm Japanese" but can't be 100% sure without wider context :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

"kara" also means "because".

So, "[It's] because I'm Japanese". Does this make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense, the context is along the lines of person A: "Nihongo wa dekimasu ka?" person B: "Ei, mochiron. Nihonjin desu kara"

Just lazy translation by the author, I guess. Why go to the bother of putting in the 'kara' and then just translating it as 'of course I do, I'm Japanese.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Not really a lazy translation. In English, it is more natural to say something like "Of course I do, I'm Japanese" than "Yeah, of course. Because I am Japanese". The meaning and nuance are better translated by the former, whereas the latter is a more faithful translation of the grammatical structure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement