Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange one on Tax Credit Certificate

• 08-01-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭

I just noticed something strange on my tax credit certificate for 2009:

Tax Due on Rent to Non-Residents (1210) - i.e. it reduces my tax credits by this amount! WTF is it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Where rent is paid to a landlord who is not resident in the state, certain obligations may arise for the tenant. If the landlord has an agent in the state to whom the rent is paid than no obligations arise. If however rent is paid directly to the landlord (this includes payment directly into a bank account held by the landlord) then the following actions must be taken. The tenant must deduct 20% of the rent due from the amount paid over to the landlord. This 20% must then be remitted to Revenue. The local Revenue Office should be contacted to make the appropriate arrangements for the collection of this charge. The remaining 80% of the rent due should be paid over to the landlord. At the end of the year the tenant should furnish the landlord with a completed Form R185 - Certificate of Income Tax Deducted (PDF, 229KB) . This form gives details of the amount of the rent that was paid over to Revenue. The landlord can then claim this amount as a credit on their annual Tax Return.

If it is the case that you put down their details as opposed to the management company that you were renting from; then the onus will be on you to ensure the adequate tax is deducted from your rent.

Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

In short, it means that at one point you must have submitted a rent relief claim and gave your landlord details as outside the Rep. of ireland. In this case where rent is paid to non-irish landlords the tennant themselves must deduct 20% from the amount of rent and declare it to Revenue.
    If this is not done or declared then the tennant is responsible to pay it and it is implemented by reducing the tennants credits for the year. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Funny stuff - I've been renting for years, this is the 1st time I've ever tried to claim rent relief (as most landlords don't give you their PPS number) and it seems I've been paying tax for my Dublin-based landlord who came around each week to physically pick up the rent! What a system! No more claiming rent relief for me I guess - maybe Revenue can add a few more taxes to PAYE workers to cover billionaire Tax Exiles and failed Property Developers?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

ionapaul wrote: »
    Funny stuff - I've been renting for years, this is the 1st time I've ever tried to claim rent relief (as most landlords don't give you their PPS number) and it seems I've been paying tax for my Dublin-based landlord who came around each week to physically pick up the rent! What a system! No more claiming rent relief for me I guess - maybe Revenue can add a few more taxes to PAYE workers to cover billionaire Tax Exiles and failed Property Developers?!
    If your landlord is Irish then contact Revenue and inform them of this.
    Clarify the situation and you will recieve your relief plus the money that was deducted. They will be able to check your application with you. :)

Advertisement