Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Smart Women

Options
  • 08-01-2009 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

So by the title I have probably confused you slightly already. This thread is about smart woman who act stupid. Not in the dumb sense of the word but have no opinions on really important matters who aren’t willing to defend their opinions.

My social circle or rather people I know & meet consists of many doctors & engineers. They are woman and they are very smart because most of them hold an Honours Degree. The issue comes with the fact if I asked them some point of common knowledge on something goings on in the world, I get the Smile of despair, where they laugh the question off as if it wasn’t a question at all. I wouldn’t worry if it was one or two woman but it’s all of them.

However there is a good way to get woman into a debate on matters of abortion, you all go mad when that comes up but the other topics like religion, politics & general goings on in the world woman in general seem to think it’s better to be ignorance of these things. I know thats a very large generalisation but it is true to my experience.

The sad truth is I was browsing these forums many months ago & I seen a thread in these forums with smart woman making consistent & well structured points. These woman reminded me of the professionals I mingle with in real life but the question is why am I not seen this in the real world?

Is it ignorance bliss or are there reasons woman in public & around men don’t want to sound overly informed. I’ve had get debates with guys when I was half drunk. I’ve tried many a time to have a nice conversation on a topic with women but it generally comes down to go drink & dance.

So what’s going on ladies?

Edit: Removed the history part since you are all going mad :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Yes, yes I was very confused by the title.

But then, of course I would be.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If you are going around asking women 'about some point of common knowledge on world history', then their 'smile of despair' is more likely about having got stuck talking to you rather than not knowing the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Actually, I just don't know where to begin with this cos I don't have time to go through all the things I find MENTAL about it. I'll be back tomorrow, armed with my typing fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Maybe my op is badly worded because its hard to try get across what I am trying to say.

I'm just trying to figure out why woman don't engage in these chats even when its group of men having it. They tend to sit on the outside.
    copacetic wrote: »
    If you are going around asking women 'about some point of common knowledge on world history', then their 'smile of despair' is more likely about having got stuck talking to you rather than not knowing the answer.

Its not like I arrive & say "Who won world war 2" it would be a normal conversation that develops, when I say look of dispair what I mean is they don't have a clue about what I might be talking about even thou its in most of the papers & news channels.

Also you don't need to attack me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well your first problem is assuming a group of doctors and engineers have an interest in current affairs, just because they are educated. Most doctors and engineers don't study sociology or politics tbh (at least not doctors of medicine).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Saying 'woman' instead of 'women' doesn't help either...

Not terribly sure what point your trying to make.

I do come across smart women who dumb themselves down a lot though. It's usually so they can fit into a certain social grouping where they're surrounded by dumb people who only discuss soaps and reality TV shows.

Well your first problem is assuming a group of doctors and engineers have an interest in current affairs, just because they are educated. Most doctors and engineers don't study sociology or politics tbh (at least not doctors of medicine).

True thou you would except them to be informed but maybe I am wrong in that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nuravictus wrote: »
    True thou you would except them to be informed

Why? They didn't major in history or politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe you're causing the Smile Of Despair. I'm certainly sporting one at this minute.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually I must admit I have seen this in action too. Women I consider good mates of mine who avoid general topics beyond their obvious remit, but which I know they are well versed in, being led in a conversation by men who have no clue about the topics discussed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I have found people who will out right refuse to engage in certain topics of conversation.

I remember trying to discuss the merits of 'On the Origin of Species' out at a meal one time and having a girl absolutely refuse to listen to me as it might ruin her belief in angels for her. This is a normally intelligent young woman.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually I must admit I have seen this in action too. Women I consider good mates of mine who avoid general topics beyond their obvious remit, but which I know they are well versed in, being led in a conversation by men who have no clue about the topics discussed.

Maybe they are steering away from potentially contentious topics just being polite? I must say I'm usually non-committal about launching into political or similar topics with people I don't know very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Why? They didn't major in history or politics.

I really should of said things going on in the world in general. Thats what I meant. I don't have a major in history or politics, I read a few websites for news in the morning & thats about it.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe you're causing the Smile Of Despair. I'm certainly sporting one at this minute.

If your not willing to add anything of value to the thread why post, The Smile of Dispair comes from a girl I turned down because even thou she was a Statistican for a major irish bank she acted really dumb & all she cared about was her shoes & how she looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

woman in general seem to think it’s better to be ignorance of these things. I know thats a very large generalisation but it is true to my experience.

Is it ignorance bliss or are there reasons woman in public & around men don’t want to sound overly informed.

Why do you assume it's an act and not genuine ignorance? Because to assume they're actually ill-informed about the topic is a far less insulting remark.

I read three newspapers a day in my job, and I couldn't and wouldn't have a conversation with anyone about the finer points of history or a bit of general knowledge - not because I'm ill informed or because I'm attempting to downplay my intelligence in front of men, but simply because it's boring. My brain doesn't retain information it finds dull. I'd rather talk about aborting, or drinking, or dancing, because they interest me.
    Maybe my op is badly worded because its hard to try get across what I am trying to say.

I'm just trying to figure out why woman don't engage in these chats even when its group of men having it. They tend to sit on the outside.

Because they're not interested? It seems to me to be more of a reasonable assumption than 'they're putting on an act for men'.

Its not like I arrive & say "Who won world war 2" it would be a normal conversation that develops, when I say look of dispair what I mean is they don't have a clue about what I might be talking about even thou its in most of the papers & news channels.

PS: I'm just wondering why I meet so many very smart woman with so very few opinions of anything of substance. Maybe I move in the wrong circles that could be true, lots of smart woman on these boards I can admit that.

Smart does not equal interested in current affairs. Like I say, I read a lot of newspapers, I'm a journalist, I have to. But once I get out of the office I don't watch a tap of news because not only have I been doing it all day, but... snore. I have more interesting things to think about and talk to people about. I'm not running down current affairs as boring, I'm just personally more passionate about my friends and talking with them, about them, what's happening in their lives, other people's lives... things that are real to me, close to home, as opposed to the big wide world.

Perhaps these women do have opinions on things of substance - you just don't regard them as such, or perhaps you don't know a lot about them or aren't interested in them? For example, I could chat to you for hours about the finer points of syntax and Chomsky's theorem, but I couldn't tell you what the headline was in the Indo today, and I bloody read the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

True thou you would except them to be informed but maybe I am wrong in that point.

Well I wouldn't be able to get far in a conversation if an m.d. started talking to me about all the latest innovation in mycoplasr corn removal. Nor do I feel the need to get involved in those discussions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Peared wrote: »
    Actually, I just don't know where to begin with this cos I don't have time to go through all the things I find MENTAL about it. I'll be back tomorrow, armed with my typing fingers.

To get there before you get the chance:

Minesajackdaniels: 1/2
    G'em: 5/2
    Karoma: 3/1
    Jules: 5/1
    Zaph: 7/1

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Not all women have no interest in current affair or politics. I know I'll discuss such things on forums and in 'real life'. I suppose some women might find it comfortable, for want of a better word, to 'act dumb' around men. But most women I know have no problem discussing history/politics. In any case, some topics aren't interesting to some people. It's not really matter of gender, more one of personal taste/ interest.

• Advertisement

Well i typed this in Word because by the time I was finished I knew the forums would of refreshed & I would have to relogin, So I copyed & pasted it over.

True

@shellyboo

This is kinda a side question. Why do you not have a interest in current affairs. It strikes me as madness not to be informed & know whats going on in the world because what happens in the world affects us. If we are informed we can prepare or be ready for most issues when they happen.

And before you think i am some nerd I love having fun too, I love dancing and sports but I feel it’s my responsibly to be informed.

If your not willing to add anything of value to the thread why post, The Smile of Dispair comes from a girl I turned down because even thou she was a Statistican for a major irish bank she acted really dumb & all she cared about was her shoes & how she looked.

What constitutes value to you in this instance is concurrence with your views.

Similarly, all I see in your OP is judgemental assumptions about what constitutes acceptable, intelligent female conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

OP, are you sure it wasn't the "Uh oh here comes a rant" face? I know a lot of people who try to avoid 'intellectual' or 'serious' debates with people they consider opinionated.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

I see where the OP is coming from. I believe politics is usually a man's subject in the same way something like football is, BUT we all know many women are interested in football, etc. In the same way women discuss clothes & shopping and men roll their eyes. So GENERALLY men like politics and women like clothes, to put it simply. *ducks*

But having said all that I am interested in politics but it's usually men I discuss it with. I also like shopping.
    I hate the whole dumbing down of society though, it makes me :mad:! Like a lot of women, I watch SATC and enjoy it but hated the episode when the 4 of them were discussing 'politics', ie debating who was the best looking president :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Wibbs wrote: »

Interesting point.
    The OP may be mistaking ignorance of current affairs with lack of interest/conviction/outspokenness about same.

This reminds me a bit of myself tbh-
    well-educated and (if i say so myself :P ) insightful- but invariably taking a backseat (for the reasons listed above) while other ar$eholes spout off about the economy and whatnot.

Galvasean wrote: »
    OP, are you sure it wasn't the "Uh oh here comes a rant" face? I know a lot of people who try to avoid 'intellectual' or 'serious' debates with people they consider opinionated.

I don't try do the whole I know more than you & I always listen to other peoples points, I dont belittle peoples points of view when I chat with them like most "opinionated" people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They are woman and they are very smart because most of them hold an Honours Degree.

See, this is the major flaw in your logic. Just the fact that someone holds an honours degree does not mean they are "very smart". This is true for both male and female alike. Do not make the fatal mistake of equating learning with intelligence.

I don't try do the whole I know more than you & I always listen to other peoples points, I dont belittle peoples points of view when I chat with them like most "opinionated" people do.

Maybe it's just a reluctance to discuss such topics in an informal setting?

I'm quite interested in so-called intelligent topics such as politics and current affairs, but I often just don't want to discuss them at any level of intensity in a social setting, or especially if I don't know the person well.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

jeez, How does a normal conversation develop into you quizzing people on world history when they obviously aren't interested?

I can picture it now.

Girl come in to pub all wrapped up. 'Feckin Baltic out there it is'

Nuravictus : 'Certainly is, you are wrapped up well though, unlike the Germans at stalingrad in '43, boy did they underestimate the cold. Do you think it was a turning point in the war?'

Girl :< look of despair>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement