Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add on graphic design courses

Options
  • 08-01-2009 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I have an ordinary degree in Interior Design and some guy told me I could do a 1 year add on course in graphic design. He said it was in DIT (I think) but there is no sign of it when I go through their website.

I do realise that there is a vast difference in the two disciplines and maybe a 1 year course wouldn't have me on the same par as a fully qualified graphic designer but he told me this was available.

Has anyone heard of this? It may be a Masters degree - he told me about it ages ago and he was an acquaintance from a summer job, so I am not in contact with him now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

A one year course is probably an honours degree.

To be honest I doubt they would let you do an honours, as your skillset would not be the same as the rest of the class.
    You've studied interior design, graphic design is a different ball game.

I remember that a 2nd year interior designer transferred from their previous course into our class when we were in second year, he couldnt really cope with it, (although he wasnt the most dedicated person).

I'd say if you did a fetac couse in graphic design (usually a year) and see how you get on with it, then try and get into DIT or similar into 2nd/3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

thanks for the reply spidermonkey
    There is a lot of focus on the presentation of our designs in our course and as an elective we did a magazine (A girl in my class went for a graphic design job and showed the interviewer the magazine - he was impressed with the layout)

I'm not saying for a minute that my graphic skills are anywhere near that of a graphic designer but this guy told me about this 'phantom' course and maybe it's very intensive or something?

Spidermonkey if you dont mind answering another question(s) :)
    What kind of projects were you given in your course and is it like other design disciplines where your design was based on a concept?
    I am a very dedicated student and have done well in college and at the minute am teaching myself photoshop so I am not afraid of hard work - I may get onto DIT and ask about entering maybe 2nd or 3rd year?

Advertisement