Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT - Avoiding it!

Options
  • 08-01-2009 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Have a VRT question that hopefully somebody can answer

Have a sister who lives in UK. Can she bring in a Car and put it in Irish plates (not paying VRT as she owned car for 6 months etc etc). Then i could drive it on her Insurance. Is there some requirement for her to move back to Ireland for her to avoid paying the VRT. What is to stop her doing this and just buying herself another car in the UK?

any1 know?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wouldn't she have to have a registered address in Ireland to first register it here. And then if she bought one in England, she'd either have to bring it over here(and pay VRT), or get an address back in England again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

seanie500 wrote: »
    Have a VRT question that hopefully somebody can answer

Have a sister who lives in UK. Can she bring in a Car and put it in Irish plates (not paying VRT as she owned car for 6 months etc etc). Then i could drive it on her Insurance. Is there some requirement for her to move back to Ireland for her to avoid paying the VRT. What is to stop her doing this and just buying herself another car in the UK?

any1 know?:confused:

I have no idea how that would work, but I hope that somehow you make it work, robbing bastards..

*Hears a stampede of Motors do-gooders on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

If you have a homeplace in ireland, just get her to register it there in her name. Then transfer it to your name when she goes back hence avoiding VRT.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

hope it works out for ya op.bloody vrt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

have a feeling this thread will be locked VERY soon!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Get her to bring it in, she stays the "owner" for the year, while you just get insured on the car.

Done and done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^shouldnt see why, its not illegal... In a way :p

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    ^shouldnt see why, its not illegal... In a way :p

ways of avoiding tax hmm id say so (even if vrt is the most filthy disgusting hideous two faced, horrible, tax ever known to man!!!)grrrr!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I hope boards.ie/motors run a canidate in the next election on the scrap vrt ticket:rolleyes:

vehicle raping tax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

As soon as she has registers it to an irish address she can go back to the UK and 'sell' the car to you. I can't see them looking for more than a bank a/c statement etc. as proof of address to register it

As soon as she has registers it to an irish address she can go back to the UK and 'sell' the car to you

Can any UK resident do that? Can they only do it the once?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 skinny6781

It not that easy ,
    yes she can take the car in for free if she lived in england or northen ireland for over 5 months , but she cannot sell the car for a year plus she is the old one allowed to drive the car , uncle did this and his son imported the car from the uk as he was living there for 3 years , but the customs stoped and impounded the car as the uncle was driving it , had to pay a extra 5% on top off the vrt to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If she has a PPS number that's one obstace sorted, but Revenue tend to look for proof of moving...utility bills etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

skinny6781 wrote: »
    It not that easy ,
    yes she can take the car in for free if she lived in england or northen ireland for over 5 months , but she cannot sell the car for a year plus she is the old one allowed to drive the car , uncle did this and his son imported the car from the uk as he was living there for 3 years , but the customs stoped and impounded the car as the uncle was driving it , had to pay a extra 5% on top off the vrt to get it back.

but how would customs or the police for that matter quiz anything in teh 1st place as the car would be on irish plates with tax etc??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

but how would customs or the police for that matter quiz anything in teh 1st place as the car would be on irish plates with tax etc??:confused:
    I suspect the idiots didn't change the plates. Otherwise it wouldn't have been detectable.

can u not just pay it like the rest of us ???
    :confused:

pipsqueak wrote: »
    can u not just pay it like the rest of us ???
    :confused:

but it's wrong pipsqueak, it's a wrong tax:(

but it's wrong pipsqueak, it's a wrong tax:(

your right me man its a double taxation a filthy horrible one i could not agree more but its a tax and its illegal to drive a car on a pubic road without it being paid. I paid 6k last year on a beemer , the way i see it if i pay it why shouldnt anybody else????

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lots of ignorant posters posting wrong information on this thread (not the regulars btw). See here for the real info.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

this thread seems a little bit off.. Advice on how to essentially ilegally drive a car and avoid paying the tax? If you want to get a car why not buy here in Ireland? why?

foolish posters: Oh no boo hoo cars are too dear and 5mph slower here! I can get a faster car cheaper and be a twat who then avoids paying the extra money and putting up with the hassle.

Me to fools: Save the hassle. Go to a dealer/private seller and buy a car. Pay the nominal Tax rate here in the good ol republic. If that extra speed is soooo important then check out the modified motors forum here for tune ups.

For those of us who see common sense, I bid you all welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

congo_90 wrote: »
    this thread seems a little bit off.. Advice on how to essentially ilegally drive a car and avoid paying the tax? If you want to get a car why not buy here in Ireland? why?

foolish posters: Oh no boo hoo cars are too dear and 5mph slower here! I can get a faster car cheaper and be a twat who then avoids paying the extra money and putting up with the hassle.

Me to fools: Save the hassle. Go to a dealer/private seller and buy a car. Pay the nominal Tax rate here in the good ol republic. If that extra speed is soooo important then check out the modified motors forum here for tune ups.

They wouldn't be illegally driving a car, they would be avoiding VRT, that would be like saying you smuggle in too many cigarettes from a non EU country you are illegally smoking.

Tax is tax, driving is driving.

Theres no easy way around it though, can't sell it for a year after she registers it in the republic and it has to be registered where she is resident (i.e. spends most of her time working and living)

Once the car is transferred over from her name to someone else before the year she'll get a bill from the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

VRT gets my goat!

Don't pay it (and please don't reply with ignorant posts!)

Its illegal for them to tax you, so you don't pay it. Two rights and all that!

I have my car for 3 years and still on yella reg! **** 'em!

/prob get pulled over today for that comment! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

OP, if you want to legally get around this do a search for "irish drivers association".
    afaik VRT is illegal under EU law and according to our constitution customs do not have the power to take your car without a court order. Most people when told the car is being confiscated hand over the keys essentially giving them the car. They cannot take the car without your consent, this is theft.
    Check out that site anyway they know what they're talking about.
    And before the begrudgers start I paid 7k on a car last year but since I found out about all this I'll not pay next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

congo_90 wrote: »

Thats a foolish post, why should some people pay up to double the price of a vehicle when they can get it for half in the north or uk. Maybe you have a well paid job and this dosen't bother you to pay excessively high prices compared to the UK but I guarantee you thats not the case with 90% of Irish people, espically with the currant credit crunch etc.

NOBODY SHOULD HAVE TO PAY VRT!!!*

*I know its illegal but meh I wouldn't care if it saves me at least €5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

tsk ..leave it to the nightshift to feck things up again :D

OP if you do what you suggest both you and your sister are comitting an offence. Don't know what the consequences are if you get caught, but I assume it wouldn't be cheap

As we don't discuss illegal activities here ....closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement