Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not in good shape

• 08-01-2009 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

I'm in first year finance at the moment and it's not going well to say the least. The Maths modules are way above the level I thought they would be and theres basically no chance I can pass. Now I know I should have looked into this before I chose the course but thats in the past and I'm just wondering how I could go about sorting my situation out.

I think Maynooth is alright and I wouldn't mind doing an arts course next year. How could I go about doing this ? Would I have to officialy drop out this year ? And what would be the situation with fees for next year ? Any help would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Well done, welcome to College!

You may have do do some work though!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Cheers for that. But seriously I done pass maths in the leaving, and I doubt anybody who did will pass. I have done work, just not very good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I finished that course last year, the maths module is shockingly hard for a Finance degree. There were only 16ish people in my 2nd and 3rd year classes (about 100 in 1st year!). The only good thing is that you may be able to compensate next semester cause i think that course is a bit easier, could be wrong though.

As far as dropping out, i believe there are deadlines you have to meet to be able to apply for your fees to be waved should you do 1st year again, i think it might have already passed. Try in the Academic Advisory office and ask in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Are you going to the Maths Support Centre? If you are struggling you have to go. It's open between 2pm and 6pm today. If you're not going then, tbh, you only have yourself to blame as it's a completely free resource.

• Advertisement

amull87 wrote: »
    I finished that course last year, the maths module is shockingly hard for a Finance degree. There were only 16ish people in my 2nd and 3rd year classes (about 100 in 1st year!). The only good thing is that you may be able to compensate next semester cause i think that course is a bit easier, could be wrong though.

Hold on a second. It's shockingly hard for some people. Not for all. And tbh, if you can't pass that course that it casts serious doubt over your overall ability to excell academically as the course could be far, far more difficult. It's already toned down. Part of the issue I feel is that a lot of people enter the Finance course without even realising they have to do maths so may have a very poor background in the subject. But nowadays there are so many supports available to maths students in Maynooth that, if you're willing to ask for help, makes it almost impossible to fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Hold on a second. It's shockingly hard for some people. Not for all. And tbh, if you can't pass that course that it casts serious doubt over your overall ability to excell academically as the course could be far, far more difficult. It's already toned down. Part of the issue I feel is that a lot of people enter the Finance course without even realising they have to do maths so may have a very poor background in the subject. But nowadays there are so many supports available to maths students in Maynooth that, if you're willing to ask for help, makes it almost impossible to fail.

I never had a problem with the course, just pointing out as the OP said that many people who didn't do Higher Level LC Maths might struggle with it, which I think is a fair assumption. I agree that plenty of people do take this course without realising what modules are in it but I also think that the Maths is a bit too advanced for a Finance degree, for example I can't ever remember having the use anything which I learned in my Maths modules in any of my Finance ones. On the other hand I suppose it is a good measure of how people are coping with more advanced workloads and whether they are capable of completing the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

Have you considered getting grinds in maths for the summer repeats and during the second semester?

Also, go to see Peter Carr, he can give you a good idea of what the story is with fees and of what you need to do to change course.

There shouldn't be a need for grinds really with the MSC. It's open 18 hours a week and is almost completely empty on a Monday and Friday so you can essentially have one-to-one "grinds" for 4 or 5 hours a week from people who know there stuff. The staff in the MSC are all hand picked for their interpersonal skills and empathic qualities :D Along with maths knowledge obviously! I know some people feel ashamed or embarrassed asking what they deem to be silly questions in a public situation but it really is a great place to get some help. Anyway, I'm out of breath I'm plugging the place so hard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

LeixlipRed, did you ever think it might be name? I've never gone myself as I haven't needed the support, but maybe the idea doesn't sound attractive to some people, going to the "Maths Support Centre".

I know plenty of people who could do with going to it, but they still don't. And you can bet if it was advertised as "Free Maths Grinds Centre" or something similar people would probably go to it more.

I dunno, that's just my theory on it, maybe you should run it by someone who does Psychology or Sociology.

• Advertisement

But it isn't a grinds centre or anything like that! We're not there to dumb stuff down for students or show them how to scrape a pass or something like that. The name is fine and if people aren't coming because of the name then they won't ever ask for help no matter what we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

You are right to plug it, I only saw a poster up for it there for the first time the day before your post. Could've done with that over the last few years. I'd say most people don't know about it, Lecturers should plug it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I remember getting a hand out sheet about it... of course that's long gone.

Where is the MSC?

To the op, if you want Finance you better get studying, you might as well try and pass the year anyway, then see how you feel, cause I'm pretty sure you will have to pay full fee's if you choose to move into Arts at this stage.

There's posters all over campus. Lecturers and tutors all plug it. Nothing more we can do really other than attack people in the Arts Block and force them to come do maths (appealing to me, not to others :D). It's on in Classhall E btw. Not open during exams but was open all last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

In terms of paying fees if you don't re-register for the second semester you should be eligible for half fees if you go back to do another course. I wouldn't be thinking that far ahead just yet, there are plenty of resources to help you if you're struggling academically! Go talk to Peter Carr, your lecturers, Maths Support center, etc

In my experience the lecturers mention the MSC briefly in the first and last lecture, citing the opening times mainly. They don't seem to care much about informing people about it.

Well that might be due to the fact that a lot of them feel threatened by it. But that's not really the issue. The lecturers are told to announce it regularly and constantly reminded to do so. If they don't there's nothing that can be done really. Tutors mention it on a regular basis so it's not that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭raviravi

If you do not register for the second semester you would still be liable for full fees for a different course next year, but if you formally deregister on or before the 31st January you would then keep your half fees for a different course either Maynooth or elsewhere, or even the same course next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Just to throw in my own two cents. Trying to jog my memory here but in the finance degree don't you only do maths modules in first year? I think this is the case and if so OP I think you should just buckle down now as it isn't to late yet, repeating two exams during the summer isn't the end of the world.

On the other hand remember that most(if not all) of the maths you cover in that degree is so far removed from finance its ridiculous. But that college for you, incredibly practical, yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Completely forgot about re-registration for second semester, when is that again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

*Tripper* wrote: »
    On the other hand remember that most(if not all) of the maths you cover in that degree is so far removed from finance its ridiculous.

Like what?

Like nothing. The poster just doesn't realise that everytime they use Excel or SPSS or something that there's maths involved there. Maths is the foundation on which Finance is built. You cant have Finance without maths.

Yes, obviously you can't have finance without maths, but not the mats they teach in First Finance in Maynooth. Why not teach something actually useful like econometrics?

If you can't do basic algebra and calculus you're hardly likely to be able to do anything else are you?

What Maynooth cover in there maths(first finance) modules has absolutely no baring on a career in the financial services. They go into far to much, and incredibly unnecessary, detail with calculus when time would be better spent studying something that holds an actual relevance to the world of financial services.

What Maynooth cover in there maths(first finance) modules has absolutely no baring on a career in the financial services. They go into far to much, and incredibly unnecessary, detail with calculus when time would be better spent studying something that holds an actual relevance to the world of financial services.

They go into such detail in order to instill an understanding of what you're actually doing when you plug numbers into those fancy formulas with the funny looking giant letters.

Ridiculous attitude to be honest. You can't just say the derivative of x^2 is 2x and just start doing econometrics. The stuff needs to be studied in detail because it's 3rd level and we like to explain the reasons behind stuff rather just present it as fact. Teaching by rote is for 2nd level. The finance maths courses in first year insure that anyway passing is of a decent mathematical ability. That's the aim of the course. To weed out the people who can't add fractions but hope to get a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Totally in agreement with Red on this.

I remember helping friends who were doing Finance with their Maths (and me studying History & Classics!) and to be honest it shouldn't trouble anyone with a decent aptitude.

Thankfully, you can become fairly proficient with a little hard work. With such an excellent resource as the Support Centre available there should be no excuse.

Having said all that, I don't know how some people are making it through second-level with such poor skills. This goes for basic grammar and punctuation as well, I'm not singling out those with Maths issues. But that's another debate entirely. :D

mp3guy wrote: »
    They go into such detail in order to instill an understanding of what you're actually doing when you plug numbers into those fancy formulas with the funny looking giant letters.

They go into to much detail.
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Ridiculous attitude to be honest. You can't just say the derivative of x^2 is 2x and just start doing econometrics. The stuff needs to be studied in detail because it's 3rd level and we like to explain the reasons behind stuff rather just present it as fact. Teaching by rote is for 2nd level. The finance maths courses in first year insure that anyway passing is of a decent mathematical ability. That's the aim of the course. To weed out the people who can't add fractions but hope to get a degree.

Ok it's clear that we are both coming from two very different sides here. I'll be honest, the only reason I went to college was to get a degree and therefore a job in the field I'm in now. I always maintained that what I studied in various universities around Ireland would not prepare me for what I would end up doing outside of university(although the degree and job would be considered closely related). Speaking from personal experience of working in the financial services industry the maths module in first finance is completely irrelevant to anything I have come across, for just understanding or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

time would be better spent studying something that holds an actual relevance to the world of financial services.

So do Financial Services.
    (Proper) Finance grads should have at least a basic understanding of Black-Scholes.

But back to the point, the maths isn't that hard. There's no harm in repeating a few exams, esp. in 1st year.
    Don't give up on the maths so easily. It's not that difficult and there's plenty of help.

Advertisement