Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not in good shape

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Thanks for the help folks. Repeating looks like the best option at the moment.
    Just for the record, If I was to un register now, and come back and do a different course next year, how much would fees be? (Approx). And would the same apply if I was to go to a different college or go through a PLC route. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Minty,

TBH, it depends on the course. I can only speak for music, and that was just under 7,000 for the year. Unregister now and repeat the same course and you're talking half that, maybe less.

AFAIK, to start a new course would be the full whack.

What I *strongly* recommend is that you do the repeat exams. Honestly, with a bit of help it's not so hard to pass a module purely by exam, and your first year marks mean almost nothing.

Last year - my 2nd year - I was working full time in Tesco and could hand up almost no weekly assignments. Consequently, I had to pass all but one of my modules by exam.

It's doable, really. And if you need help or company then I'll be happy to study with you. PM me.

Now, if you hate the subject that's another matter. I did a year of computer applications in DCU and, after months of incomparable boredom, decided to do what I was good at and what I loved. Now I'm in my final year of music here, and though I complain sometimes I really have no regrets. I took out a loan with BOI (with the economic wind at my back) and am still paying it off.

If you're unsure about what you want to do, then take a year off. Regardless of how your parents or years of school have made you feel, you don't *have* to go to college, at least not today or tomorrow. I took a year off, made loads of money and spent it all on my having fun with my girlfriend. Again, no regrets - when I was 18 years old I was 18 years old. But Minty, if there's a subject you love then pursue it to the end. To hell with the money, your parents, your fears, and those who tell you you can't. All that matters is that you are doing what you want to do in life. And if you don't know, you are completely free to take all the time you need.

Just my 2c.

And the best of luck with your pursuits.

Advertisement