Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help badly needed

Options
  • 08-01-2009 1:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Well lads,
    I need a bit of help here. I currently have an 08 GTI DSG and a 14 month old baby. Just found out that twins are on the way in june. Needless to say the GTI has to go. I will need a car big enough for 3 child seats in the back and a big boot. I would like something with similar power and half decent looks, I will carry the three of them on my back before i'll get a people carrier. Has anyone any ideas? I'm looking at an '07 A6 2.0 FSI, fully loaded, tiptronic with only 8k miles. I'm thinking this should be a straight swap or fairly close. I would like a straight swap if possible or will spend a few quid if needed. Any suggestions would really help and before anyone says anything i'm going to tie a knot in it after this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Rawhead wrote: »
    Needless to say the GTI has to go.

No, it doesn't. Before you do anything expensive, try and put three child seats across the back bench. Borrow them if you have to: today's Golf is bloody huge, a Passat (while bigger) is not a hatchback, so no family man could buy one.

Also, test drive an S-Max, you might be surprised about MPVs. You especially might be surprised to learn that a Ford can be 40K.

Ah, family life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Rawhead wrote: »
    Well lads,
    I need a bit of help here. I currently have an 08 GTI DSG and a 14 month old baby. Just found out that twins are on the way in june. Needless to say the GTI has to go. I will need a car big enough for 3 child seats in the back and a big boot. I would like something with similar power and half decent looks, I will carry the three of them on my back before i'll get a people carrier. Has anyone any ideas? I'm looking at an '07 A6 2.0 FSI, fully loaded, tiptronic with only 8k miles. I'm thinking this should be a straight swap or fairly close. I would like a straight swap if possible or will spend a few quid if needed. Any suggestions would really help and before anyone says anything i'm going to tie a knot in it after this.

Get your missus a second hand car suited to the job, it'll probably cost what you'd lose i.e. cars are cheaper now and you'll lose money on your own car when selling, so its in your favour in both directions !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

If all the above fails, an Octavia VRS has, IIRC, the same engine as the Golf GTI, with somewhat more room in the back and a bigger boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

New Superb? Will swallow everything, including twins. Congrats by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

back in my day 4 kids were crammed in the back of a mazda 323!!!

yeah i would second the trial of the seats in the back of the golf you could be suprised. will be tricky getting the middle kid in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

First of all congrats on your new arrivals. I read on honestjohn that the Skoda Superb can take three baby seats, so that's one to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

cheak out www.vagdrivers.net

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

if you want power and practicality would you think about a skoda octavia vrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

what about 05-07 audi a4 sline 2.0 tdi 170bhp. bit of a remap and you'll be flying.

you could land on VRT'd and all for anywhere between 15-18 depending on spec and mileage.

Could even get an sline avant which are sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you can forget about putting 3 full size baby seats in an A4.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There is another option to consider which is three or four seats combined into one unit that can fit into any car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

+1 on the octavia. It'll fit the 3 seats in the back and approx. 40 child seats in the boot, it's huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Just to clarify, how many doors does the golf have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

+2 on Octavia RS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Congrats on the Twins, BTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Lots of work ahead with the new kids.

Normal child benefit of 166/month is increased by 50% for twins. There is also a one-off payment of 635 at the birth of twins. Also you will get 3 early childcare supplements of 92/month as all children are under 5. So you will be getting 940/month tax free which should cover any car you want.

Ideal child car is a 7-seater e-class estate or a new skoda superb 1.8 dsg. The new superb has an extremely wide rear seat compared to other cars and a boot the size of a barn for kiddy equipment. The skoda is probably better value and more fun to drive but seriously ugly. The merc is higher status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

dynamick wrote: »
    So you will be getting 940/month tax free which should cover any car you want.

LOL! That's good to know, now he just needs to find a few quid for childcare, health insurance, food, therapy for the parents and a mountain of nappies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

lidl nappies. table scraps. estonian aupair. charity shop toys. titty milk. I've got 3 kids under 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Forget about having all 3 of them next to each other on the back seat. It's simply to akward to get them in/out, especially the middle one.

You'd also want to keep them out of reach of each other.

Plus, remember the buggies and all other paraphernalia...

Face fact, you're a family man now so bye-bye GTI, hello 7 seater!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 goldfish

Just bought up a 08 BMW520d Touring (Estate) to cater for all buggies etc - has the half decent looks you're after and decent enough power. Road Tax €140 per year and 16% VRT on import. Maybe worth looking at.
    Congrats on the twins,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'll swop you with the car below, no cash adjuster necessary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

+3 on the Octavia,
    its as quick as the gti, same engine,
    has two extra doors and the boot is epic. even the estate version if you need a bit of extra space.
    very reliable and very sporty on the move.
    even comes in a diesel VRS. 170bhp. easy to remap too with huge gains to be got.

i've the mk1 Octavia VRS, the 1.8t petrol and i love it to bits. wouldnt touch an Audi after owning the Skoda.
    the interior is very tasty too.

Advertisement