Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't hang up?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 1:59am

I have an Eircom landline but for a long while have been experiencing problems ending a call. I hang up the handset but if I pick it up again the person at the other end is still there.

I remember calling Eircom a few years ago about it and they said something along the lines that it can't be fixed and it happens to everyone. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This is a 'feature' of the telephone system. It was designed to allow you to answer a call on one extension, replace the handset and pick it up somewhere else.

Frankly, I think it's more of a p.i.t.a. than a feature. The other person is also being charged for the call until they hang up, or the call is cleared by the system.

You should be able to clear the call by hanging up and leaving the receiver on the hook for at least 60 secs. The exchange will eventually notice that you are 'on-hook' and that you aren't picking up again so it will dump the call.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Press R, you'll get a dial tone.
    Dial any free number e.g. 171 voicemail.
    Dial R2, which will bring you back to the dead call.
    Then Dial R1 which will dump the dead call and bring you back to voicemail.

That will free your line.

I know it's complicated, but it works!

Solair wrote: »
    If that doesn't work, try this:

Press R, you'll get a dial tone.
    Dial any free number e.g. 171 voicemail.
    Dial R2, which will bring you back to the dead call.
    Then Dial R1 which will dump the dead call and bring you back to voicemail.

That will free your line.

Thanks but I'm a little confused....what's R and R2? They're not on the telephone keypad......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Press the "R" key (sometimes marked Recall or Flash on non-Euro handsets)

For R1, press R then 1
    R2 press R then 2
    and so on.

If you don't have any of those buttons, just tap the 'hook switch' very quickly that will send one pulse for an "R"

The R key is used for answering call waiting (R2)
    and managing 3-way calls.

For call waiting:
    To switch the service on dial *43# (it's free)
    To cancel it dial #43#

When you hear a "beep beep" noise on the line:
    R 1 = Take next call and hang up on current call.
    R 2 = Swap calls (current caller put on hold)
    R 3 = Merge both calls together
    R 0 = Send busy to call waiting (like reject on your mobile)

Conference calls / 3-way calling (Free)

For 3 way calling you don't have to do anything to activate it.

If you make a call, or receive a call .. while you're on it ask the person to hold.
    Then press "R" and you'll get a second dial tone.

Dial the number of the person you want to add to the call. When they answer ask them to hold.

Then press R 3 and it will merge both calls so you can speak to both people at the same time.

R2 will split the calls up again and toggle between them (Same as call waiting)

Call Hold

If you want to put a call on hold, and say have someone else answer it on another extension.

Press "R" and hang up.
    All your phones will ring until the call's picked up again.

All of those are free services and are on all eircom lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I hang up the handset but if I pick it up again the person at the other end is still there.

I know this may sound like a really stoopid question, but why has the person on the other end not hung up when the conversation ended???:confused:

:confused:

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I know this may sound like a really stoopid question, but why has the person on the other end not hung up when the conversation ended???:confused:

I like to hang up on telesales people. Also my elderly dad isn't too good with mobiles and pressing the button to end the call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Meh it can happen on occassion. *runs off and checks an exchange ok not really because I'm drunk.

From what I remember on the last project I was working on in our test plant which is reasonably close to the final configuration a customer will end up using if a customer puts down their handset a call will clear down after a certain amount of time even if the other party doesn't hang up their handset.

That said it was a project for BT I was working on, Solairs method should work for a land line network here in Ireland though although I would be surprised if the situation arises all that often.

Advertisement