Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd year Mech Eng Summer Internship

Options
  • 08-01-2009 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey folks. I know you're probably sick to the teeth of hearing this but can any of ye recommend to me any place that takes on summer interns. From any presentations I've attended i always hear that previous experience is the key to a good job.
    So id be delighted to get any advice... I know the economic climate isn't the best for mechs but anything at all. I'm based in kilkenny or Dublin.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

The best places may be the big companies, Intel, ESB, HP etc etc.. An email around to local companies may be helpful. Allot of schools UL, DCU, etc have agreements for their students to be placed directly so it may be difficult. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

I got to work on a Coal Mine in South Africa for 4 months in Summer 07. I applied online to www.angloamerican.co.uk. Its a programme called the "Student Technical experience programme"

Was great craic and they paid for flights, accomodation etc.

I'm sure they are doing the same programme again this year. Although applications usually close at the end of Jan so you need to be applying sharpish.

A few of my mates went working in Buro Happold in the UK...they said it was craic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

A couple of years ago when i was in 3rd year mech eng i did an 8 week stint with Buro Happold in Bath, England. They have a specific programme for interns called the Happold Trust and its a deadly scheme really cos you get your internship, your foot in the door with them as regards a permanent job when you graduate and they also give you a nice chunk of money in a3 instalments during final year in college which was incredibly handy at the time. I had a great summer that year in bath cos there was around 20 students from all over Britain and ireland and a few from further afield and we were all in the same boat. well worth checking out if you're interested in bulding services

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭grateface

Cheers for the help people!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭grateface

I'll bump this sure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sul02

Try http://www.lakergn.com about 40mins from kk, fast paced medical device company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

sul02 wrote: »
    Try http://www.lakergn.com about 40mins from kk, fast paced medical device company.

You know them?

Advertisement