Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give me some scenic places in carlow?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've finally worked enough in college it seems to have warranted a break for a little while so i'm taking some time off everything to just relax and enjoy a college/stress/work-free life even if only for a week or two.

Anyways the point of the thread is I'm never at home in carlow for prolonged lengths anymore and i want to go around it a photograph some of carlow's scenic gems. I'm mad into photography now and want to see what carlow has to offer me. I've done the whole mount leinster and that area side of things and i am heading to the browneshill dolmen, but i want some little quaint picturesque places.

Help me out with some suggestions people. I hope to get a week or two at it in the next month.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

St Mullins! That was pretty picturesque, at least the last time I was there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Altamount Gardens & Aghade Bridge
    Ducketts Grove
    Milford Mills

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

lucylu wrote: »

I was about to suggest these 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Outside Leos in the evenings....................... :o

But seriously, not a dooorty bastid!

I like Mt. Leinster myself. Nice and peaceful, and then I barrell down forest tracks on the bike, although not for a very long time. Damn injuries. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Yeah guys is there anything specific in these areas that i should be looking for or just the areas themselves. I'm familiar with mount leinster and saint mullins allright and i know clash is a lovely place also. Fill me in please if you guys get a chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rathana
    Ducketsgrove & the towers
    Brownshill dolmen
    st mullins
    milford

sin e really

The Ring of the Rath (in Wicklow) just a while outside Tullow is pretty awesome place. Not so much for scenery, just the massive ring fort! Tis pretty damn impressive!
    Take the Shillelagh road out of Tullow and a few miles out there's a y in the road of sorts, take the turn off to the left. Pretty sure its signposted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Haroldstown dolmen
    Killeshin, the hiberno-romanesque doorway,the old waterworks, view from top of hill,massrock
    Hardymount gardens http://www.carlowtourism.com/hardymountgardens.html
    Around Clonegal, along the river.
    Top of rath in Mullaghcreelan (technically into Kildare..but)
    Viaduct in Borris

Haroldstown dolmen
    Killeshin, the hiberno-romanesque doorway,the old waterworks, view from top of hill,massrock
    Hardymount gardens http://www.carlowtourism.com/hardymountgardens.html
    Around Clonegal, along the river.
    Top of rath in Mullaghcreelan (technically into Kildare..but)
    Viaduct in Borris

Thanks for that the gardens look nice, will definitely head there, I forgot about the viaduct in Borris allright. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paulfitzg

A few good locations along river, Clashganny and St Mullens. Milford can be good for pictures also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Windmills @ Mt Leinster
    Killeshin Hills to get some nice shots above Carlow
    Ducketts Grove
    Huntington Gardens (Clonegal )
    Delta Sensory Gardens
    Oak Park (Boring but nice)

Sound lads and lassies,

Some great ideas there, hopefully i'll be busy or rather not busy so i can discover carlow as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Oak park is closed at the moment due to the slippery boards.
    If you are heading to Top of rath in Mullaghcreelan (technically into Kildare..but) you might as well head to Kilkea Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Plenty of obvious ones mentioned here, a lot of the town and smaller villages have plenty of photo ops as well. Clonegal, Rathvilly, Leighlinbridge, Bagenalstown, Borris all have nice areas/ old buildings. Lots of buildings lit up a night time as well.

Altamount has lenty of variety

Anywhere on the river particularly between Borris and St Mullins has plenty to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

lucylu wrote: »
    unfortunately aghade bridge isn't in the best state at the mo. Its a beautiful spot but the council need to take better care of it. Other than that Mount leinster, Altamount, Clonegal i suppose, Leighlinbridge and anywhere on the Barrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Last time I was at Aghade bridge there was an engine in the river on the upstream side of the bridge! An engine!!!!

@WMJ that's a great photo thanks for showing me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

Don1 wrote: »
    Last time I was at Aghade bridge there was an engine in the river on the upstream side of the bridge! An engine!!!!

now thats classy

oh yeah, I remember that. You, me and Andy went cycling and then stopped in for a pint :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

The Ring of the Rath (in Wicklow) just a while outside Tullow is pretty awesome place. Not so much for scenery, just the massive ring fort! Tis pretty damn impressive!
    Take the Shillelagh road out of Tullow and a few miles out there's a y in the road of sorts, take the turn off to the left. Pretty sure its signposted.

It is signposted, i was there today. But bring your wellies it's in a muddy field :)

Was it a good engine? :D

all i know its in my car now.

aynon wrote: »
    all i know its in my car now.

Well done that man! Thats what I like to see, a bit of recycling! :pac:

you know there is a recession on man! got to keep some pennies in the pocket"!

It was a Honda motor iirc so it'll most likely be fine if you just replace the seals/rubbers/gaskets and fluids! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The snowdrops should be out in Altamount around now.

It was a Honda motor iirc so it'll most likely be fine if you just replace the seals/rubbers/gaskets and fluids! :D

Thats enough, it wont be in aynons car for long, you'll see it on e-bay shortly! :P

I wonder could you flog it to some yank? A quality Honda engine, found steeping in the natural clear mountain waters of a Carlow stream, just beneath the mystical Aghade Bridge where Leprechauns and fairies have been known to wonder!

Be worth a try? :pac:

LMAO! Thank you Croppy!!

• Advertisement

excuse me while i log into my ebay account.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement