Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another radio station for cork

• 08-01-2009 3:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

do we need another radio station in cork you would think ever body is well covered with the three we have 96fm redfm and 93.1 Lifefm heard we might be getting a rock station what do you think :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

There's also C103 and a couple of community stations, all the nationals and there's a new multi-city license on the way too - http://www.4fm.ie

Plus overspill from neighbouring counties...how many more stations do you think Cork can sustain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

More than Waterford apparantly (we don't get that new multi-city station :( )

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I came across another one over the recent festivities...think it was RFI(some 3 letter job) it was The Voice Of Munster! It was 3hours out with its regular time updates. I nearly tripped outta Pine Lodge with this error.
    Cork could do with one. Depending on what it intends to do with itself. The 3 main ones only appear to play hit music ALL the time. Now I'm not a native but a frequenter and it always struck me that Cork was lacking an informed, local, progressive station. There are a couple in Dublin: NEARFM and Radio na Life (and I don't speak irish but it is a quality station) that have really good and very varied content.
    I've never come across anything other than "the best of NOW, THEN and JUST BEFORE THEN HITS ALL THE TIME in Cork. I could be wrong and would like to be wrong and if I am wrong where should I be listening?
    Any idea of the proposed new station's mission statement?

Easy listening/adult chat as in mature discussion not smut :)

mike65 wrote: »
    Easy listening/adult chat as in mature discussion not smut :)

Is that good or bad Mike? (Of course I don't mean no smut. That can be only bad). But do you think that's what's needed? Or what will balance the books? Gain listnership?
    I don't know myself. I do think that's why Newstalk has become such a disappointment as it was delivering an alternative from RTE yet not having to play endless popular tunes from the last 40 years.

• Advertisement

Well speaking for myself as a 40something, its not where I'd be spending time my the looks of it, not that I can (see above), and the target audience is arguably the toughest nut to crack - us middle aged & oldies tend to be stuck in our ways. It'll take some persistant marketing and some familair "names" listeners can grab onto.

http://www.4fm.ie/music.html
    http://www.4fm.ie/programmes.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

A rock radio station would rock, IMHO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 54321

Cork's got three big stations. C103, 96FM and RedFM. Does it need a fourth? Yes.

But what kind of station is the question.

96FM is the big catch all station,
    Good points; clever music mix, with good news service and one current affairs show.
    Bad points; Comes across as very city focused, although has good audience in county perhaps because of music mix being catch all.

C103
    Good Point. Proper local radio station for county with excellent local current affairs opt out. West Cork today/North Cork today run simultaneously. Both David Young and Patricia Messenger are pros worthy of national radio.

Bad points. Not known well in the city. So ratings can't be huge.

RedFM

Good Points. Jingles and audio imaging is, I would venture, the best in the country. Great sounding station, presentation is good especially ten to news.
    Has mostly good presenters

Bad points. No good local affairs show, during the day. I'm sure people like Cork talks back, but for me no way!

So what station would be needed in Cork?

Cork is big. So they should have one more competitor to 96FM to keep it on its toes. Then Cork should go down the road of having community radio. Have four community stations for North, West,East, and the city.

Very like West Limerick radio and other community stations.

Then Cork would have a great radio service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

humberklog wrote: »
    I came across another one over the recent festivities...think it was RFI(some 3 letter job) it was The Voice Of Munster! It was 3hours out with its regular time updates. I nearly tripped outta Pine Lodge with this error.

Sounds like a blast from the pirate past, are you referring to ERI by any chance?

Cork could do with another station but 4FM will be another Dublin-based station transmitting into Cork and some other cities. So its not a Cork station as such.

On the other hand if one is saying that Cork needs another Cork-based station then yea, absolutely. There's talk of Cork Community Radio, which is what I thought this thread title was alluding to but wasn't.

RLO maybe?

• Advertisement

mick_irl wrote: »
    RLO maybe?

Pine Lodge is in Myrtleville to the south of Cork City, RLO was a Limerick pirate now defunct.

Big Tone wrote: »
    Pine Lodge is in Myrtleville to the south of Cork City, RLO was a Limerick pirate now defunct.

Yeah, i know!

But didn't RLO use that strapline?
    They used to pop up every now and again (Maybe not the same people behind it each time) and I could pick them up when I was living in Cork.

mick_irl wrote: »
    Yeah, i know!

But didn't RLO use that strapline?
    They used to pop up every now and again (Maybe not the same people behind it each time) and I could pick them up when I was living in Cork.

ERI used a very similar catchphrase and they actually covered Munster with their transmissions, unlike RLO.

RLO are off air a couple of years now so it wasn't them.

There was a station with RDS ID "ERI 225" on air over Christmas which was paying tribute to ERI on the 20th anniversary of its closure, I reckon thats the station humberklog heard in Cork "over the recent festivities".

Sounds like a blast from the pirate past, are you referring to ERI by any chance?

Cork could do with another station but 4FM will be another Dublin-based station transmitting into Cork and some other cities. So its not a Cork station as such.

On the other hand if one is saying that Cork needs another Cork-based station then yea, absolutely. There's talk of Cork Community Radio, which is what I thought this thread title was alluding to but wasn't.

ERI That's it 100%. On FM but very mono sound and as said it was 3 hours out of kilter on the time.

A good community radio is what is needed down that way imo.

Yep Pine lodge Myrtleville. But I was only kidding about falling down steps. It was Bunny's I fell out of!

humberklog wrote: »
    ERI That's it 100%. On FM but very mono sound and as said it was 3 hours out of kilter on the time.

A good community radio is what is needed down that way imo.

Yep Pine lodge Myrtleville. But I was only kidding about falling down steps. It was Bunny's I fell out of!

You probably heard old recordings of ERI from 80s tapes

Watch out for those hoppers at Bunny's, you might fall over the cliff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

There was a station with RDS ID "ERI 225" on air over Christmas which was paying tribute to ERI on the 20th anniversary of its closure.

Did they use the old jingles, etc ?

Anyone got any recordings of it ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Did they use the old jingles, etc ?

Anyone got any recordings of it ?

Yea they played old ERI jingles, airchecks, promos etc.

This tribute station is gone now, it only lasted a few days. It'll probably return briefly for the 25th anniversary in 2013.

Advertisement