Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can dogs get the flu from humans?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 5:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I am in the grips of perhaps the worst flu I have ever experienced and am wondering if I present a danger of passing it on to my dogs?

Everyone in the family got the flu injection except me so I have myself to blame but I would hate to make my dogs sick too. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No, not as far as I know. I could be wrong though ...maybe Jules can clarify

(It's when we get it from birds where the problems start :D, of that I am sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Thankfully, no.

Hope you feel better soon. :o

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Nope your dogs are safe;)

You have my sympathy I'm just getting over the flu and I agree It's a rough one!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Martians shouldn't be able to catch it either... stupid War of the Worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

peasant wrote: »
    (It's when we get it from birds where the problems start :D, of that I am sure)
    That's a stuid, annoying thing to say. Who would say "rabies... it's when we get it from dogs where the problems start."?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Aparently birds and guineapigs and hamsters and other smallies can get colds from humans, never experienced this but aparently it does happen so no sneezin near yer smallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Rory123 wrote: »
    That's a stuid, annoying thing to say. Who would say "rabies... it's when we get it from dogs where the problems start."?

Humour, sense of, the black kind preferably.

Get some ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Peasant, I'm disgusted with you, how could you say such a thing etc etc etc :p

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Excuse me - could you all please stop joking.

Has no one read the charter?! Its quite clearly not tolerated on this forum. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 odeacl

glad they cant or my dog would be one very sick guy right now!!

• Advertisement

ok, so I probably over reacted. Sorry for that. It's just that I am into my animals but I'm particularly into birds and parrots and sometimes I just get a bit frustrated that people don't really rate them too highly as a pet or an animal. For example any time some people are in my house and my parrot is making nosie they think its ok to tell me that they'd love to wring its neck. Now who would ever say something as insulting as that to a dog or horse owner?
    Ah sure, you know what I mean.

*Swallows large chill-pill*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Nothing more annoying than someone saying that about your birds, if anyone said that to me in my home I'd show them the door, although people know better than to insult my birds at this stage but I do get the odd comment that my guinea pigs are like rats, I don't tolerate that at all grrrr.

What was really annoying during that whole bird flu thing people were saying ooo you'll have to get rid of your birds now in case you catch bird flu from them...eejits grrr.

Back on topic sorry.

Nothing more annoying than someone saying that about your birds, if anyone said that to me in my home I'd show them the door, although people know better than to insult my birds at this stage but I do get the odd comment that my guinea pigs are like rats, I don't tolerate that at all grrrr.

What was really annoying during that whole bird flu thing people were saying ooo you'll have to get rid of your birds now in case you catch bird flu from them...eejits grrr.

Back on topic sorry.
    Thanks GPR, I'm glad that you understand where I'm coming from!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

but I do get the odd comment that my guinea pigs are like rats, I don't tolerate that at all grrrr.

But thats not an insult :eek: :p Rats are great. I'm not allowed to get one though. For a non animal person like my OH a house with 2 cats and a dog is enough. :)
    For example any time some people are in my house and my parrot is making nosie they think its ok to tell me that they'd love to wring its neck. *
    Thats very rude. Did you tell them that it's insulting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 luvablelizzie

ok, so I probably over reacted. Sorry for that. It's just that I am into my animals but I'm particularly into birds and parrots and sometimes I just get a bit frustrated that people don't really rate them too highly as a pet or an animal. For example any time some people are in my house and my parrot is making nosie they think its ok to tell me that they'd love to wring its neck. Now who would ever say something as insulting as that to a dog or horse owner?
    Ah sure, you know what I mean.

*Swallows large chill-pill*

I just got my 3rd dog a few months ago..and to me they are my children, and a friend of my boyfriend's was over last week and muttered, 'great another disgusting thing to stand when I come here'.

I have made it extremely clear that she is now no longer welcom in my dogs home..because that's what it is, mine and their home. Not just mine.

She was a b****

Advertisement