Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time poster seeks tips

• 08-01-2009 6:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm a complete beginner to photography (other than automatic point and shoot stuff), but I've decided it's something I'd really like to learn. I'll be hanging around here a good bit to try pick some stuff up from you experienced photographers :)

Anyway, I bought a Canon Powershot G9 this week and took it with me to London. I've posted a few of what I think are my better pictures ('better' is obviously a very relative term) here, and the rest are on my Flickr.

I'd really appreciate some comments and constructive criticism on these if you can spare a minute (but please bear in mind that I've only just started learning and didn't even know what the word aperture meant two weeks ago, so don't be too harsh! :o)

3178212521_a109ba6415.jpg

3178210849_596c2acd22.jpg

3179047482_d14fc54ba7.jpg

3179047574_5ddb4b52fc.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Some nice shots, for Pic 1 I would have the angle so as that the buildings are straight not the footpath but that’s just preference!

Pic 2 is my favourite, nice creative angle. :)

Pic 3 could do with a bit more light, weather doesn’t help but you could probably get into touching up your pics afterwards.

Pic 4 is nice also but I would have tried to get the top of the statues head in the shot but again that’s just my preference!

Good work* and happy shooting!

*Purely my own thoughts and is in no way a professional commendation. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Thanks for the comments :)

I see what you mean about Pic 1 now I look at it again, I'll probably fix that.

I like Pic 2 as well, apart from the grey sky, but I don't really feel confident enough to go messing with that yet.

I actually liked the lighting in Pic 3 but I'll take what you said on board; I'll re-expose it and see what it looks like (EDIT: I've just re-exposed it and you're right, it looks a lot better. Thanks!)

As for cutting off the statue's head in Pic 4... oops. I've a lot to learn! :o

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Breezer wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments :)

I see what you mean about Pic 1 now I look at it again, I'll probably fix that.

I like Pic 2 as well, apart from the grey sky, but I don't really feel confident enough to go messing with that yet.

I actually liked the lighting in Pic 3 but I'll take what you said on board; I'll re-expose it and see what it looks like (EDIT: I've just re-exposed it and you're right, it looks a lot better. Thanks!)

As for cutting off the statue's head in Pic 4... oops. I've a lot to learn! :o

Thanks again :)

Cough *hit the thanks button* Cough ;)

Yea I find lighting settings less of an issue in the summer which makes sense but usually touching them up afterwards isn't much of an issue. As for angles, subject etc, its all down to whatever you like yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

I'm still very much a beginner too, but for what it's worth I like the shots you've posted. There are a few things that could improve them perhaps (agree with here.from.day's points), but generally speaking I think you've got some really interesting shots from interesting angles. Shot 1 is my favourite, the pigeon makes it :D

There are some great, simple on-line tutorials available. Excellent to tell you the basics of composition and light.

I'd also recommend this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231423136&sr=8-1

I got Volume 1 & 2 for Christmas and it's brilliant. Incredibly straight forward tips to explain things that seemed really complicated.

You might want to think about getting a tripod too. The more I shoot, the more I realise how vital one is.

Enjoy!

spav wrote: »
    I'd also recommend this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231423136&sr=8-1

You might want to think about getting a tripod too. The more I shoot, the more I realise how vital one is.
    I had a look at those, they seemed very American though. Fake titles for sections 'to grab your attention...' I did pick up a different book, published by Collins, just to get myself started. I got a little mini tripod too, I could probably do with a larger one, but this'll do for now.

I have a few more here for C & C if anybody can spare a minute. Thank you!

If I could retake this one I'd probably point the camera slightly to the left, so that the tree obeyed the rule of thirds, but I'm still quite happy with it:
    3194819693_bbeab42ca8.jpg

Could anyone tell me how I could make the rigging look less "jagged" in this one? I sometimes have the same problem with wintery tree branches. This was taken at dusk by the way, a few minutes before the one above:
    3194820053_558c330df4.jpg

I know I cut the top of this one off again. I had a large group of tourists behind me waiting to walk through, then my battery died :(
    3181615663_5714e02e74.jpg

I like this one:
    3182440300_d29fbf6ca6.jpg

Same problem with the trees here as with the rigging above:
    3195663036_95c32e2bc6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

any of these been printed out?

No, I haven't made any prints. I'm still really only playing with my new toy. Why do you ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

well coz if they're printed the jaggy lines may not be as apparent as when you view them on a monitor.
    So the end product of your shots might be a lot better than you expected.
    Diagonal lines can appear jagged on some monitors so really the test is in the prints!!
    :)

Advertisement