Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jammed fuel gauge

Options
  • 08-01-2009 6:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi, the fuel gauge on my 01 diesel Mondeo is jammed showing empty.

I think it's the float chamber, it fluctuated sporadically between showing continuously full, and continuously empty, now it's empty all the time.

I'm using the trip meter to judge my fuel, but is it something I can fix? Tried a few mechanics, and they all said no...

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be the sender in the tank that's at fault, but it could also be the gauge itself. The circuit would really need to be tested to determine what is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The first thing I would do before sending it anywhere would be to check the fuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hal1 wrote: »
    The first thing I would do before sending it anywhere would be to check the fuses.

Maybe, but I doubt that there is a dedicated fuse for the fuel gauge/sender. More than likely the fuse that serves this circuit does others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

crosstownk wrote: »
    Maybe, but I doubt that there is a dedicated fuse for the fuel gauge/sender. More than likely the fuse that serves this circuit does others too.

It's just a rule of tumb for me, I know not all items in a car have fuses. I feel a right twat going into a garage to be told it was only a fuse.

Advertisement