Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website advice (own server or hosting)

Options
  • 08-01-2009 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

I'm considering setting up a website which I expect to involve a serious amount of traffic and data, in short its a photo stock site and was wondering would it be easier/cheaper for me to buy my own server and work it from there or buy a hosting package with someone ?

I'm not very tech savvy but given some time and reading some books should be in a position to run my own server and possible a small hosting network.

I'm more looking forward than the immediate on this one, if the project expands as I hope it will then it might be cheaper in the long run to actually have my own server and greater control over any issues. (basically I wont have anyone to blame but myself)

I currently have a website hosted by an Irish company however they have been having problems in the last couple of months which is causing downtime and irritating for me, at the moment considering switching that account to another company or get my own server and base a couple of webbased businesses from it.

Any advice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Since you say you are expecting large amounts of data and traffic, I would recommend buying/renting a server and getting it colocated.

I'd keep it in Ireland as there is plenty of options for server colocation here in datacenters based around Dublin.

You might also consider a Server Management package so if you need software installed on your server or you come across problems, there is a team there to fix it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

any idea on approx costs involved - currently working on projected costs analysis for this to see if its feesable.

(thanks for the advice by the way - much appreciated)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

It depends on whether you need shelf space or rack space for your server (shelf space for tower boxes and rack space for rack-mountable units).

The price depends upon:
    - How much space/units
    - How much bandwidth
    - How many powerpoints (if it's only one server then one!)

It also depends whether you buy a server or rent one from the colo company. If you buy one then you'll be responsible for hardware problems and will need a contigency fund. You should also establish how much the colo company would charge to replace bits of hardware for you if they fail (normal rate & out of hours), what data carriers they use and if the datacentre has had any serious problems in the past (which might happen again).

Also, consider costs for server management, operating systems and any software licenses.

€3k yearly minimum...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Photosharing can involve large amounts of data and bandwidth, so a single server simply won't be enough if you do any decent levels of traffic.

You'd be looking at multiple web servers and content / file servers.

Colo might be more attractive further down the line, but until you are sure that the demand is there it might be a costly outlay to make.

Costs will vary a lot depending on what you opt for and who you opt to use. If you're doing photo sharing with the Irish market as a target you should only consider companies that are members of INEX (https://www.inex.ie/about/memberlist ) as they're the only ones with decent connectivity.

HTH

Michele

Advertisement