Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What flash for newbie canon 400d

• 08-01-2009 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Morning,

I have a canon 400d for a while now, and although I don't take as many pics as I really should ... I think I need a flash for it.

Its mainly for pics indoors, with indoor lights on, but possibly occasionally for outside.

I'm looking for something cheap, as I can't spend too much at the moment.

I was looking at warehouse express, and saw a canon Speedlite 220ex. Is this any good, or too good for what i'm after. Is there a no-name-brand that would be just as good?

Thanks in advance for guidance and help ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Shutter Speed

Hi There!

Generally, the Speedlite 220ex is for cameras that do not have a built in flash - the EOS 400D does.

In that case, I'd go for the 430ex.

The 430ex does a lot of the hardwork for you. For example, it can read a lot of information in your 400D such as the sensor size and white balance settings so that you get the best flash.

If you are looking for good exposed indoor photographs - this is the one for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sweet jesus, what kind of bastárdization of a post is that Shutter Speed.

I recommend you do some reading of Strobist.com, It's directed at learning about off-camera lighting, but it does cover the basics of flashguns and lighting with them. A must if you're even thinking about using a flashgun tbh.

That will lead you in the right direction of what flash to get.

Seeing as you have a Canon, I'd probably recommend a 430ex or a sigma 530DG Super. both have E-TTL (means they talk to the camera better to expose properly) and both are reasonably cheap.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

I have a 400D for a while now and Santa (girlfriend) got me a Canon Speedlite 430EX for christmas. And although I'm still learning how to use it properly as it seems using an external flash is a whole different science, I'm extremely happy with it.
    Note: Ballyman is selling one over on adverts at the moment http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=87746&cat=51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Being a owner of a 430EX mounted on my 30D, I can tell you that it's a great flash. Getting into using flash isn't as straight forward as you think because there is a lot to learn. But google is your friend there.

You will also be delighted with the results you get from it too compared to that poxy washout flash they put onto the 400D.

Annnnd.... having recently bought a flash diffuser for my 430EX for 10€ recently, may I just say it was a fantastic buy!

Note: Ballyman is selling one over on adverts at the moment http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=87746&cat=51

Stupidly priced one seeing as you can get a 580EX mkI for 200€ or less. I wouldn't pay more than 140 for a 430ex tbh

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Stupidly priced one seeing as you can get a 580EX mkI for 200€ or less. I wouldn't pay more than 140 for a 430ex tbh

Show me where you can get a brand new 430EX for less than €200 never mind a 530EX.

A 430EX brand new in a shop in Dublin is €299.

580EX mkI sold for 200€ 1-2 weeks ago on adverts.ie

Snap.

OP: There's 1 or 2 nice Sigma 500DG flashguns available on adverts at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I said BRAND NEW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I received delivery of two 430EX mk IIs from Kea-Photo yesterday. They were under €200 each. Great little flash, very well built.

Advertisement