Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rope

Options
  • 08-01-2009 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I could buy some heavy rope? between 25foot-50foot long. Don't want to get it over the internet because it costs a fortune and I can only find it in the UK so expensive shipping costs as well.
    Want to get it for alternative training (I am a personal trainer). Here is an example of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3mzYVK9HOI&feature=related

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Athletics equipment supplier
    Boat equipment supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've a fcukload of 3-strand Nylon (bright blue) - It's hardcore rope and very strong for it's size (it's about 13mm diameter) and is used as mooring lines for boats and lobster pots etc.

50 foot? 20eur would do ya

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I've a fcukload of 3-strand Nylon (bright blue) - It's hardcore rope and very strong for it's size (it's about 13mm diameter) and is used as mooring lines for boats and lobster pots etc.

50 foot? 20eur would do ya

Money for old rope. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

d-gal wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could buy some heavy rope? between 25foot-50foot long. Don't want to get it over the internet because it costs a fortune and I can only find it in the UK so expensive shipping costs as well.
    Want to get it for alternative training (I am a personal trainer). Here is an example of it

Thanks,

Dave

I have a really long length of fairly similar thickness rope to the one in the video. It's probably pretty wet and dirty (and may have a couple of fishing hooks caught in it so be careful...disclaimer :)) as it has been outdoors for a long time but you are welcome to take a look at it and see what you think. I'm sure you could dry it out fairly easily. It's very heavy stuff (I think 35mm dia). If it's any good you can cut a length off (not from the middle of it. From either end) for free. Just let me know if you are interested and I'll tell you where it is :) Come to think of it, I hope it's still there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

d-gal wrote: »

Thanks,

Dave

Jaysus Dave that's some training... perfect for getting ready for a jungle expedition/b horror movie where you may be required to fight off a couple of anaconda's at the same time! :pac:

• Advertisement

Money for old rope. :pac:

Nah it's brand new shiny rope in the shed that I use when my old rope goes rotten from the heavy seas yarrr!

I have a really long length of fairly similar thickness rope to the one in the video. It's probably pretty wet and dirty (and may have a couple of fishing hooks caught in it so be careful...disclaimer :)) as it has been outdoors for a long time but you are welcome to take a look at it and see what you think. I'm sure you could dry it out fairly easily. It's very heavy stuff (I think 35mm dia). If it's any good you can cut a length off (not from the middle of it. From either end) for free. Just let me know if you are interested and I'll tell you where it is :) Come to think of it, I hope it's still there :)

35mm? :eek: Were you using it to moor a cruise liner? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

JohnCleary wrote: »
    35mm? :eek: Were you using it to moor a cruise liner? :D

I bought it 2nd hand from the Galway Harbour Company ages ago. They used it for the oil tankers that dock there. It's a bit old and tatty but I don't think there's any fear of d-gal snapping it doing exercises :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

It's proper cotton rope you would need for this methinks, not nylon, as nylon would be very hard on the hands, and also, cotton would be that bit more weighty.

Try O Sullivan marine in Tralee, or Union Chandlery in Cork city.

If they don't stock it they will certainly know where to direct you.

hope this helps

I just watched that video - the stuff I have will be no good to you

As said above, you want soft (but heavy) rope - Maybe normal heavy 35mm nylon will do, and cover the ends where your hands will be with soft stuff? looks like that's whats done in the video

Failing that, volunteer to take the ropes down the Docks when the boat's come in, won't be long gettin a bit of strength in ya :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Isn't there a chandlers down on Merchants road near the House Hotel end?

Isn't there a chandlers down on Merchants road near the House Hotel end?

Yeah but it'd be cheaper to buy the stuff in China and have someone carry it the whole way to you

I'd use that place as a total last resort

OP: I'll keep an eye out for any heavy stuff that's clean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Cheers for all your help guys, basically I am looking for anyhting thicker than 36mm and heavier than 13kg. Want to put my clients thru some new pain :D

will keep looking

Try www.powerboat.ie/forums in 'The Club House'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Something like this maybe? http://cgi.ebay.ie/ROPE-Manila-40mm-Garden-Decking-Handrail_W0QQitemZ150319860631QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Paving_Decking?hash=item150319860631&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

They will cut it to length for you and all.

Edit: doh, sorry, just realised you said you don't wanna get it over the internet.

Advertisement