Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell to cut 1,900 jobs in Limerick

Options
  • 08-01-2009 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Lets all cross our fingers and toes for Dell Employees who in 20 minutes will find out the fate of the company and their jobs in Limerick.

My father said he would call me just after the meeting for an update but I dont find that likely because if its bad news I will be the least of his worries, calling me with bad news.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

the tailbacks were huge this morning....finguers crossed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

best of luck to them all. But at least they will know for sure today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

NTC wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

NTC wrote: »

+1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

I'm not in til ten... yikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I really hope its not as bad as has been reported it is going to be........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If anyone hears anything, let us know.

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The media are going to be given a press release in the next hour or so.

1900 jobs to be axed immediately. Report on 95fm from the reporter Clarke in Raheen. JESUS :eek:

First release of staff in April. How many that is has not been reported just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I'm listening to it too. My hubby works there and I'm praying that he's ok. Not all of them are going just yet so I'm hoping he'll be one of the last to go - give us a chance to sort ourselves out. My heart goes out to all those young 'uns because it's not going to be easy to find something else. Must NEVER give up hope though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

yeah, the 1900 basically ends manufacturing in limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Manufacturing jobs transferred to Poland.

So how many people don't work in manufacturing in Limerick?

That 1900 is only the tip of the iceberg. There's about twice that dependant on the Dell plant, security, catering, couriers - Interlink will really feel it.

Suppose we should have expected these jobs would be transferred to Poland when they opened their plant there. I heard Jan O'Sullivan talkiing recently saying that there was an EU law that said manufacturing companies can't transfer jobs within the EU. Anyone know if this is correct?

They say around 1000 people work outside of manufacturing.

Souns like BS. The whole point of the EU is to encourage the growth of commerce particularly in it's less developed areas.

So how many people don't work in manufacturing in Limerick?

Not that many, but there is a section that deals with returns and refurb so not sure if that is technically manufacturing. Hope not, because that's where my hubby is :(

95fm are talking about the hammer blow knock of when Wang and Krupps left.

At least when Wang left people went to AST and when AST when they went to Dell. Where will that skillset move to now?

Hagar wrote: »
    Souns like BS. The whole point of the EU is to encourage the growth of commerce particularly in it's less developed areas.
    Yeah, but as they wouldn't be new jobs going to Poland, just transferred, I don't think that would be classed as growth.

• Advertisement

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Not that many, but there is a section that deals with returns and refurb so not sure if that is technically manufacturing. Hope not, because that's where my hubby is :(

Refurb department need the manufacturing facility because they strip machines and put the parts back on the lines and rebuild machines using parts from the production lines.

Im sorry but having work in Dell with that department I should think you should brace yourself for a difficult phone call from your husband. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Berty wrote: »

At least when Wang left people went to AST and when AST when they went to Dell. Where will that skillset move to now?

With a bit of luck and some help, hopefully some Irish people try start their own business or service which might use this skills in some other way....
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

just heard it there on newstalk....that's a bad blow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The plant was supposed to be the most efficient Dell have, the country is in real trouble if we can't compete when we have are at this level of skill and it's not enough. I really feel for the people losing their jobs in this climate as there's not a whole lot of work out there, I hope Dell at least give them a decent redundancy package.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

McDonalds?

Seriously, there is nowhere else to go. My fiance has been trying for 3 months to get work and most of the jobs she applies for have hundreds of applicants.

Unless another large company sees an opportunity here to buy a factory and workers at the same time, then the floorboards of the social welfare will be creaking under the strain.
    Farewell Limerick, you almost made it. :(

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I hope Dell at least give them a decent redundancy package.

It is going to be capped. My father told me this last week that Dell have said that "should" anything be announced they will not receive big money.

My father is there 14+ years prior to the doors even opening in Limerick and was hoping to get a redundancy package to match that. I dont know the ins and outs of it but he is getting nowhere near that if even half.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The plant was supposed to be the most efficient Dell have, the country is in real trouble if we can't compete when we have are at this level of skill and it's not enough.
    Even if they were able to assemble twice as many PC's are the Polish outfit, we're still five times the cost of Poland.

Ireland is simply too expensive a place to manufacture in.

Refurb department need the manufacturing facility because they strip machines and put the parts back on the lines and rebuild machines using parts from the production lines.

Im sorry but having work in Dell with that department I should think you should brace yourself for a difficult phone call from your husband. :(
    Thankis Berty. Been bracing myself since he came home from work last night and said there was a meeting this morning. I'm expecting the worst so anything else would be a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I can't bear to watch the news tonight, as they usually interview young families who have just lost their jobs... for many both partners working there.
    It's a massive blow for Limerick and the sense of desperation and bewilderment must be awful.

:(

Advertisement