Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell to cut 1,900 jobs in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They still employ 2,000 or so people here . . .

Well they still employ 3000 and in April they will lose some of that and by Jan 2010 there will be 1100 left in Limerick.

That could all change during the year and most of Limericks remaning staff will be asked to move to Dublin.

Mark my words. My father in 1997 was asked to move from EMF2 to Bray and said NO. They told him move or find yourself another job within Dell. He found another position and stayed in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

lb163 wrote: »
    I do not know how many applications I have sent away over the past 8 months and all i got to date was 2 interviews but no job The fact that i am 56 is no help of course. No idea of what i can do now

You should take your date of birth off your CV, and try to do the interview by phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

bobmeaney wrote: »
    What Im getting from this, is the fact that no government body seems to really have planned ahead for this. Why was it only 2-3 weeks ago, Mary Coughlan and Brian Lenihan went on a mission to Dell in Texas shaking the poor bowl, saying "please Lads,dont leave,is there anything we can do?". This has been on the cards for a long long time. Their efforts would have been put to better use in investing in local industry and local people, capitalising on the skills that the foreign companies introduced and honed over the years.

it was not not lenihan it was the minister for fisticuffs (yes boss) o dea that traveled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

why do you think the remaining limerick staff would be asked to move to dublin? I don't think they would, they would just claw those jobs back to Austin.

Berty wrote: »
    Well they still employ 3000 and in April they will lose some of that and by Jan 2010 there will be 1100 left in Limerick.

That could all change during the year and most of Limericks remaning staff will be asked to move to Dublin.

Mark my words. My father in 1997 was asked to move from EMF2 to Bray and said NO. They told him move or find yourself another job within Dell. He found another position and stayed in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

old boy wrote: »
    it was not not lenihan it was the minister for fisticuffs (yes boss) o dea that traveled

The error is mine sir!

• Advertisement

Text message from my mother after speaking to my father(I presume)

"has been told as a group that they are not affected by the decision. Thats all they know for now"

My father is working in IT in sort of R&D so I think he knew he would be safe enough. It is still a massive sigh of relief for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats good news, Berty.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Great news for your father Berty. Mine was as expected - he'll be one of the last to go - but still a bit of a blow all the same.

Mr E wrote: »
    Thats good news, Berty.

Im here on MSN with my friend who is concerned about his job. He still doesnt know yet. He works in the backend loading systems in to the back of the truck. He is expecting that obviously that when production decreases so will the workload and the necessity for him and his colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

I'm safe for the time being. I work in Customer Service...

Edit: ... and the atmosphere here is awful (obviously). I feel so bad for the 1900.

• Advertisement

solace wrote: »
    I'm safe for the time being. I work in Customer Service...

Edit: ... and the atmosphere here is awful (obviously). I feel so bad for the 1900.

Im happy for you. I sincerely am. :)

I can just imagine that everybody outside just needs to go home and stop talking themselves into a frenzy. Lock the canteen doors and keep them away from each other.

Dont talk to the media. They are just looking for sensationalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

Cheers dude. You should see the amount of journalists around. None of em are allowed on the campus but they're flooding the surrounding areas. I've seen about 30 cameramen already, and a few news vans. Mental... snakes, they're just looking for some BREAKING NEWS.

Further up the start of this thread I was typing whilst listening to 95fm and the reporter "something" Clarke said they will be given a press release of the meetings in around an hour and then 3 minutes later he was reading it out.

I heard the traffic was mental out there. I was trying to get to that side of the city so I turned off at the Quality hotel and headed out past the crescent instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Well i got another 9-12 months at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

can anyone tell me what the percentage of Polish workers are amongst those that are being let go?

Will they simply head to Lodz? The knock on from that could be positive. Rents will drop further as people try to fill their Buy to Let properties. Unfortunately there will definitely be less money around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 samum28

lfc1892 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what the percentage of Polish workers are amongst those that are being let go?

Will they simply head to Lodz? The knock on from that could be positive. Rents will drop further as people try to fill their Buy to Let properties. Unfortunately there will definitely be less money around though.

U c the point is that we migrated because we didn't want to work in Poland so heading back there is bit..... pointless?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

without wanting to cause offence or upset to people affected;

Do you think its fair that Dell should lose money instead of making money? Business is business in the end.

Do you think its fair that 1900 are let go? People who have essentially dedicated much of their time to working 12 hour shifts for a minute wage compared to the global profit takings dell take in?

"business is business" but in general its the "lower classes" of people in society that get shafted in the bad times and pawned off with a pathetic wage during the "good times".
    They're a business!! That's what they should be thinking about.
    It's focusing on why they're pulling out thats the issue. Do you work for the Government? I'm sure you'd love the public to vent their anger at a faceless multinational and the Governments shambolic policies, greed and corruption that got us into this mess!

I don't see how you differentiate between the greed of the state and a multinational?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

samum28 wrote: »
    U c the point is that we migrated because we didn't want to work in Poland so heading back there is bit..... pointless?...

So you would rather draw the dole in Ireland than work in Poland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

I think its gas how people keep quoting this 1900 figure. The sum of all subcontractors for Dell will add up to over 10,000 job cuts over the next 9 months in the midwest.
    I work for one of these and we have about 650 people here which will be reduced to less than 100 over the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Sunn wrote: »
    without wanting to cause offence or upset to people affected;

Do you think its fair that 1900 are let go? People who have essentially dedicated much of their time to working 12 hour shifts for a minute wage compared to the global profit takings dell take in?

"business is business" but in general its the "lower classes" of people in society that get shafted in the bad times and pawned off with a pathetic wage during the "good times".

I don't see how you differentiate between the greed of the state and a multinational?

afaik the wages in Dell arent exactly pathethic,maybe they are to someone superior like yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Bad news for the whole region :(

from an article on TheRegister
    Dell opened its assembly operations in Raheen, Limerick, in 1991. They have lasted just 17 years before the Irish tiger was shown to be just another costly overfed western European tabby cat which could be replaced by a skinnier Polish moggy. It's probably only because Dell needs to be as responsive as it can be to European customers, building to order their phoned-in and web orders, that it needs a European manufacturing base at all.
    Poland can be thankful for that, but it would do well to remember that it is more expensive than China or other far Eastern locations. It would be unwise to presume the jobs coming their way will stay their way.

jackncoke wrote: »
    afaik the wages in Dell arent exactly pathethic,maybe they are to someone superior like yourself

I think you have missed my point, i was comparing the wage to the people in the higher echelons of the dell corporation and its global intake of money.

I see no problem in people trying to get a equal share in overall profit particularly in those that actually manufacture and assemble the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

kippy wrote: »
    With a bit of luck and some help, hopefully some Irish people try start their own business or service which might use this skills in some other way....
    Kippy
    Indeed. I believe this is where the main opportunity lies...people in the current Dell situation have gone on to set up their own Irish owned multi-nationals working in India and the like wioth support staff here.
    When costs rise in Poland they'll just move on again.
    They already are by the sounds of it...."outsourcing with some manufacturing to be retained in Poland"
    Good old John Gilligan again speaking without thinking.

"Dell have unceremoniously SACKED all those good people"

Listening to him he is unable to see this as a business profit making decision by the Dell Corporation.
    Hardly unceremonious, listen to the media frenzy fuelled by the scumbag himself with his doom and gloom.

It's not many companies offer to assist their workforce to find new jobs...or offer them assistance with skillsets.
    To be honest, I'm surprised they're retaining any manufacturing in Europe. It's probably due to distribution logistics but when you see Hon Hai/Foxconn relocating plants within different regions of China due to differing costs in the country, you know that manufacturing in Europe is in it's final days.
    They already are by the sounds of it...."outsourcing with some manufacturing to be retained in Poland"
    True, and you had an epic mullet to keep your neck warm.
    I've been growing my hair, but fortunately I have sourced a job for next September, even if I would be better off on the dole.
    Is this really as bad as people make it out to be though? I mean, something always comes up, doesn't it?
    No it isn't, yes it does.
    iMax wrote: »
    The government should have stepped in & given them tax breaks. If they let them stay here tax free it would have cost far less than the social welfare in the area is going to cost. Not to mention they'd still have income tax, VAT etc from the employees. Now they've nothing.
    The government did offer to support Dell, probably why they'll continue to employ 2,500 people in Ireland.
    lb163 wrote: »
    I agree Death12345, I am in a position like that and I do not know how many applications I have sent away over the past 8 months and all i got to date was 2 interviews but no job The fact that i am 56 is no help of course. No idea of what i can do now
    There are guys in my class your age, have yopu thought of going back to college, even if you would be 60 when you graduate, you're not quite ready for the workforce scrapheap.
    grahamo wrote: »
    I hope it goes tits up for Dell. They are destroying a whole community and all they can think about is their profit margin.
    Dell's primary obligation is to it's shareholders. Simple as that, it's already doing more than it has to by giving 12 months notice and support to find new jobs.
    What Im getting from this, is the fact that no government body seems to really have planned ahead for this. Why was it only 2-3 weeks ago, Mary Coughlan and Brian Lenihan went on a mission to Dell in Texas shaking the poor bowl, saying "please Lads,dont leave,is there anything we can do?". This has been on the cards for a long long time. Their efforts would have been put to better use in investing in local industry and local people, capitalising on the skills that the foreign companies introduced and honed over the years.
    It wasn't, the government is constantly in contact with companies like Dell, Intel, HP, Google, JP Morgan and othe large FDI employers.
    Grahambo, direct your anger at your local politician. Its them that allowed this to develop into a disaster that came out of nowhere.
    Dell could have made this decision from nowhere, the government has been planing for all eventualities. Dell made the decision, not politicians.
    lfc1892 wrote: »
    for now, believe me they'll start scaling that back too
    Don't start trolling
    Mollywolly wrote: »
    Great news for your father Berty. Mine was as expected - he'll be one of the last to go - but still a bit of a blow all the same.
    While I think it is a blow and unfortunate for manufacturing workers, I commend Dell for giving so much notice, I'd be disappointed if Dell didn't scrap the 8 years 7 months cap on redundancy. There's no point claiming they owe the employees more, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I think you have missed my point, i was comparing the wage to the people in the higher echelons of the dell corporation and its global intake of money.

I see no problem in people trying to get a equal share in overall profit particularly in those that actually manufacture and assemble the product.

how can you compare the wages of a line worker to possibly a director of a huge multinational company?
    Dell workers are paid well for their skillset

That kind of mindset is away with the fairies in the real world.

jackncoke wrote: »
    how can you compare the wages of a line worker to possibly a director of a huge multinational company?
    Dell workers are paid well for their skillset

without detracting from this topic any longer maybe this thread will give you a concept of what I am talking about, not that its an easy one to accept.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055009758

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

without detracting from this topic any longer maybe this thread will give you a concept of what I am talking about, not that its an easy one to accept.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055009758

Not meaning ot be smart, but that would cause...anarchy, and we'd ALL be unemployed living in caves. In any case, why should Michael Dell, who put his neck on the line to build a global corporation get paid the same as a person who sticks the Windows™ sticker on a laptop in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think today will go down as Black Thursday in the Mid West Region. Even with all the speculation over the last couple of months nothing prepares you for this kind of devistation for the region. I hope we all as a community can all recover from this, in time.

Its really simple.

Dell Limericks manufacturing section could be operated cheaper in another country. The wages are lower and the rates are lower which is what ours were back in 1991 when the doors opened.

Now we are expensive and Austin Texas has recognised this and made the big decision to move production to another country.

Its a business decision. Its hardly a decision taken to purposfuly destroy the local economy.

If you were Michael Dell and your income was justified by the proft derived from the company you founded and you could make the same product cheaper elsewhere then you would do it.

Bottom Line. Dell is not evil, nor is Coca Cola.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

I am more scared now than I was in the 80s / 90s. Partly because I was only after leaving school so was still living at home at that time so was never going to go hungry.

I hated the dole office and my butter vouchers and the usual crowd trying to get my butter vouchers at the door of the exchange. I hated that the only place I saw a crowd of people was at 10 every tuesday morning. I hated not knowing if there was a future at all in this country, so i emigrated.

I came back because I thought that the Irish government was now able to maintain the prosperity that came about in the late nineties but now I realise the blew it all on their expenses and "entitlements" for which they are not accountable. Forget the credit crunch, this was blatant mis-management and bad budgeting that got us into this situation. Their heads should roll.

I'm sorry for the Dell people, I'm sorry for the Banta people and the REM people and all the other services that will suffer directly possibly including mine (even though not related).

Advertisement