Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell to cut 1,900 jobs in Limerick

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I doubt there is 2000 jobs being lost a day. I think there is a slight over reaction on your part there. They have set up a task force for Limerick because there is so many jobs gone in the one place. They arent ignoring the rest of the country at the same time. That is simply one thing they have done.

Have you better suggestions or is it a case of you just shouting everything is wrong? Thats pretty much what happened with the budget too. Everybody shouted about how each cut was wrong without suggesting alternatives (apart from the coverall - cut the public sector which isnt exactly going to save enough money by itself). Im not particularly pro-FF (or any other party) by the way I just dont see your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

cooperguy wrote: »
    I doubt there is 2000 jobs being lost a day. I think there is a slight over reaction on your part there. They have set up a task force for Limerick because there is so many jobs gone in the one place. They arent ignoring the rest of the country at the same time. That is simply one thing they have done.

Have you better suggestions or is it a case of you just shouting everything is wrong? Thats pretty much what happened with the budget too. Everybody shouted about how each cut was wrong without suggesting alternatives (apart from the coverall - cut the public sector which isnt exactly going to save enough money by itself). Im not particularly pro-FF (or any other party) by the way I just dont see your point.

Yep - the 2000 a day figure isn't correct, but the real figure is very high... Last year Ireland lost an average of 10,000 jobs per month. Now that's frightening.

Last year saw Sligo loose just under 1,500 jobs - less than was lost in Limerick, but per capita, it's probably around the same. The government have done nothing whatsoever to combat the job losses here, so why do one bunch of workers get preferential treatment over others? It makes no sense to me.

I have plenty of suggestions as to what the government could do, but this thread is about Dell workers & not the economy in general. I don't think what they are doing in Limerick is fair on everyone else who was made redundant last year, so I am simply stating my opinion on the matter and not "just shouting everything is wrong" as you suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

cooperguy wrote: »

16,000 a month at the moment

Advertisement