Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Car Battery - Fitted

Options
  • 08-01-2009 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where is the best place to get a new battery fitted into the aul car around town ?

Comments

The best and most cost effective thing to do would be buy the battery in Calbro and fit it yourself. They will advise you on which battery is suitable and fitting a battery to a car is very simple it will only take a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

The best and most cost effective thing to do would be buy the battery in Calbro and fit it yourself. They will advise you on which battery is suitable and fitting a battery to a car is very simple it will only take a few minutes.

Ya, I was thinking about going down this road.
    When you say fitting is very simple are you speaking from experience ?
    I wouldnt mind giving this a go if its not that hard?

I fitted battery's to lots of different machines more times than I can remember, Cars, tractors etc and it really is very simple.

I found this video on youtube it will give you an idea of what is involved better than me trying to write it out here. You will need a small wrench or two for loosening the leads on the old battery and tightening the leads back on to the new battery but I wouldnt worry about the socket wrench set shown in the video(the tools in the black box) you will manage without them. Just make sure you have positive to positive and negative to negative as with fitting a battery to anything and you will fly through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kO06j2QAvU

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you have a battery and are stuck, PM me i'll throw it into the car for you. I'm around all day working/studying and have a toolbox in the van

My god, it does indeed look very simple in the youtube video.
    I think I will give it a go for sure now.

One more question, he didnt use insultated tools, is there a chance you can get a zap from the positive terminal of the new battery ?

John , thanks a million for the offer, but Id like to give this a go. Good man all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

alibabba wrote: »
    One more question, he didnt use insultated tools, is there a chance you can get a zap from the positive terminal of the new battery ?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

alibabba wrote: »
    Low voltage, high current batteries can be lethal if shorted out. You short the + and - of a car battery and you'll know about it - have your eyes open and there's a chance you'll be blinded.

However, to answer your question about getting an electric shock from touching the + and - with your hands, you'd be grand, tis only 12v

job done, good stuff
    new battery in and working a charm.
    thanks guys

53 euro down in calbro, a bargain
    top part wanted 65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Make sure the leads are on tight and check for corrosion every month or so.
    The main thing to watch about batteries is the capacity usually measure in Ampere hours (Ah). you should match or slightly exceed the Ah rating of the old battery in your new one. The physical size of the battery compartment will also dictate choice of battery.
    Get an indelible marker or paint on the date of change so you'll know when to change again.
    I usually change every four years or so when the old battery starts "hesitating" on start-up especially on cold winters mornings, although start-up with modern fuel injected, electronic ignition engines is a doddle compared with the sluggish "dinosaurs" of old..........

Advertisement