Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help - burst pipes next door, my kitchen is wrecked.

Options
  • 08-01-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

hi, i live in a semi detatched house. woke up this morning to find the kitchen wall all damp and water all over the kitchen units and on the floor.

I checked the house next door (it is not occupied) and water was flowing down the patio doors and from the middle of the ceiling. I have rang the contractor and he is now on his way over, but i am wondering how this works now?

The damage to my house has been caused by the unoccupied house next door, so is it up to the contractor to repair any damage to my house?

Repairs so far look like: the wall has damp patches, so will need repainting once dried out. my kitchen units on that side are all wet, the water is dripping down through the units, so i assume they will need replacing? i am not sure what the situation is regarding the tiles, as the wall behind them is all damp. does that mean they would need replacing to? i also had lights fitted under the units - they probably are wet to, so would they need to be replaced and redone to?

i am a total novice when it comes to repairs of this type, and unsure of how to proceed. i would prefer the contractor to just take care of this, as i do not want my house insurance premium to be affected because of something that we not my fault.

Any replies and advice would be much appreciated, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Take lots and lots of photos of all damage - full wall view and close ups of units, tiles, light-fittings etc. Photographic record - worth the effort!

I'm no insurance or legal expert but I assume the owner of the unoccupied house is responsible for the damage as its caused by their burst pipe.

I would still inform your own Insurer for advice. Don't have an attitude! Be caim and mature, the pipe burst in the severe frost - it wasn't done on purpose!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

thanks, have taken lots of photos. the contractor was just here, was in the house next door with him, the place is a wreck. the roof has fallen through upstairs, its a mess in there. hes gone to get a ladder to see what happend up there.

i think my place might be ok, apart from the damp. i think the units will dry out ok, but the wall will need replacing. im gonna call the kitchen company for advice, and ask them to check them for me to make sure they are ok. i only moved in last february, and i dont want some of the units in my 8 grand kitchen damaged!

i really feel sorry for the contractor after seeing next door, its really bad in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Ring your insurer and get them to send someone over.
    They'll advise you on what needs replacing and it won't cost you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,177 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Id say the cold house caused one of the pipes on the cold water tank to pop and so it all poured out and kept filling itself....nasty.

Hope all goes well for you, Idont think that he will have to cover it, but your insurance will, and It shouldnt affect your premium (its not like car insurance)

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

abbey2000 wrote: »
    i think the units will dry out ok, but the wall will need replacing..

Kitchen units (carcasses) are made from chipboard and will swell and disintegrate after water damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kayaker

Just as a thought, is there something in the building code that in semi-d housing that there is a concrete wall between the two houses , because if water got through so easily, what if it was a fire?? you may have to find out more information before the repairs get under way..

hope it all work out

Kayaker

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

sounds like there may be an issue with the parity wall
    between the two properties if water was able to ingress to your
    house from next door.

thanks for the responses. it has been just over a week since this happend and the walls are drying out, but still damp. the kitchen units have swelled to.

i am worried about how the water got through so easily tho, i had not thought of that. and this evening, i noticed a damp patch in the hall. its the opposite side of the room.... does this mean that water has penetrated across this far? im very worried about this, i am worried about whats happening above my ceiling.

can i get some sort of survey done to assess the potential damage? if something is wrong up there, id like to get it dealt with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

there are many unseen issues with water damage that can only
    become apparent after significant periods of time have passed..
    in this case i would agree with RKQ and advise you to contact your insurance provider for assistance..perhaps they would send a
    damage assesor to view your property and give you a better idea/understanding of the damage (even if you are not pursuing
    a claim with them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Did you find the cause of the leak next door?

• Advertisement

yes, the cause of the leak next door was due to a burst pipe. the house is empty and not sold. during the frosty weather the pipe split. the house next door has considerable damage, the ceiling upstairs in it fell thro, and the walls were all very wet. the builder put a dehumidifier in to help dry it out.

i had raised concerns with him that my wall would not dry if he was not doing something next door to. i agree that its the damage that may appear in the future that may occur, this is what worries me. water damage is a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

abbey2000 wrote: »
    yes, the cause of the leak next door was due to a burst pipe. the house is empty and not sold. during the frosty weather the pipe split. the house next door has considerable damage, the ceiling upstairs in it fell thro, and the walls were all very wet. the builder put a dehumidifier in to help dry it out.

i had raised concerns with him that my wall would not dry if he was not doing something next door to. i agree that its the damage that may appear in the future that may occur, this is what worries me. water damage is a disaster.

I really sympathise with you. I have come across brand new homes with new home owners having the houses wrecked . It is very distressing for the client.

We had 5 houses in a row plumbed by the same lad.
    He did not tighten any of the qualplex compression joints and any of the 5 houses. No pressure test and houses where finished painted and new owners moved in.

horrific results.

as the snagger I was around for the aftermath. One ceiling collapsed in some ones kitchen.

Timber floors in most houses where replaced. carpets and most bathrooms and kicthens where fully tiled in compensation for the trouble.

It cost the builder the profit on the houses to fix.

I found that simply using the heating on full for a couple of weeks will dry any damp, but will make your home very hot and humid.

in relation to the insurnace comment in that it wont affect my premium, this is taken from allianz site, who i am insured with:

Will This Claim Affect My Renewal Premium?
    With Home Policies it will depend upon the amount of, and circumstances of this, and any other prior Claims. There may be an increase to premiums and Policy Excess's at renewal in some cases.

i have contacted them, they said i can claim off my builders insurance.

Advertisement