Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steel Shed or Wooden Shed - which would you choose ?

• 08-01-2009 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Out of a quick question to store your motorbike for example - which shed would you choose?

Steel or Wood?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to Motorbikes from Construction and Planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A good wood one, is better.

The problem is that metal ones condensate, and the metal is a cold conductor - so it's always freezin'. The bike would nearly rust faster in the shed rather than outside !

A really cheap'n'nasty wood one isn't ideal either btw, so try and get/build at least a reasonable quality wood one.

What've you got in mind, btw ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Get a good metal one and insulate it by glueing Kingspan panels to the inside.
    Stronger and warmer , no condensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'd agree with the guy who says the wood won't conduct so much cold but at the same time wood doesn't last so long and in my memory all of our wooden sheds become very untidy and look like they're falling down after three years.

I'd get a metal one but I'd take a weekend and think over what shelving you want in there, maybe a cupboard and stuff too. Put a light in there for electricty along with a socket so you can even have a heater should you want it.

Properly insulate the whole thing too and tha'll help stop condensation and stuff.

Do it properly the first time with loads of prep and you save a lot of hassle in the long run.

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maiden30403

If you're talking about building it yourself, wouldn't be a big deal to get some blocks in and do a proper job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fabio wrote: »
    I'd agree with the guy who says the wood won't conduct so much cold but at the same time wood doesn't last so long and in my memory all of our wooden sheds become very untidy and look like they're falling down after three years.

I'd get a metal one but I'd take a weekend and think over what shelving you want in there, maybe a cupboard and stuff too. Put a light in there for electricty along with a socket so you can even have a heater should you want it.

Properly insulate the whole thing too and tha'll help stop condensation and stuff.

Do it properly the first time with loads of prep and you save a lot of hassle in the long run.

Best of luck with it!

Not quite right (see my profile ;) ).....the only wood that doesn't last long is that rubbish they make the 8 x 4 sheds out of - native timber, iow. Properly built, using good timber will outlive anyone here on boards........ a friend of mine got a fabulous large unit for use as a Gym from a crowd in Wicklow for....Eur 7500, and it's top class. Don't see why it won't last 60+years. Even has double glazing.......

Metal, no matter what you do, will condensate. Putting insulation inside it won't stop it condensating - it just stops you seeing the condensation.......and a lot of metal sheds are just as bad as those rubbish timber ones, being made of only slightly-thicker-than tinfoil.........

Light++
    Sockets ++
    Heat+ if you need to, but not necessary in a well built unit

Blocks? Only if you want to have the walls act as sponges......excellent material for absorbing moisture too, btw......they don't call it a 'wet trade' for nothing..........;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Fair enough, you've made a good case for the wood then (plus you know way more than I do!).

I'd be right about thinking about shelving and all of that though!

Advertisement