Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking a Veggie meal on Aer Lingus?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Flying to New York next week and my girlfriend is vegetarian so I'm trying to book her a veggie meal for the flight over and back. However the Aer Lingus website seems to have no mention of how to do this or what number to call.

Any ideas? If nobody knows I'll just call their reservations line at lunch and pester them I suppose. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Flying to New York next week and my girlfriend is vegetarian so I'm trying to book her a veggie meal for the flight over and back. However the Aer Lingus website seems to have no mention of how to do this or what number to call.

Any ideas? If nobody knows I'll just call their reservations line at lunch and pester them I suppose. :)

you just call the reservation line and tell them you want to book a special meal for a flight, they'll ask for your booking details and add it - the only airline I've flown with that actually let me add a veggie meal via the website was Korean airlines, everyone else, even ones that had it as an option on their website like KLM, I had to ring them and book it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Johnnyraz

I ordered a veggie meal for myself when flying to NY with Aer lingus last september . I rang the customer service number and gave them my details Name flight number etc and asked if I could get a veggie meal and there was no problem . Veggie meal looked much nicer to the other meals that were served on the flight .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Great stuff. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

A word to the wise, when you board the plane, remind the hostess that you prebooked a veg meal. Often people decide that they dont like the regular and claim they booked a veg meal. I have had mine nicked too many times! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't think I've ever seen the pre-booking of a veggie meal work out.

Be prepared... bring snacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I didn' realise you had to book them. I flew to the US last year with some american airline and the meals were always a choice between meat or veggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

My veggie meal recently on a long haul AL flight was grated radish and carrot, a piece of cheese and a bread roll. Dessert = fruit salad.

Bring sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Usually I avoid all airline meals as veggie or otherwise they are normally crap but recently had two very nice veggie meals - flew KLM to Japan and ordered the fruit meal option and got a really lovely fruit selection with some jam and bread, really nice and refreshing. Then flew with Korean Air and cannot say enough nice things about the food I got - lovely stir fry with loads of mushrooms [personnal fav], rice and salad then on a shorter flight from the island of Jeju to the mainland while everyone else got these awful looking sandwhichs I got a freah roll with kiwi of all things in it and it was lovely.

American Airlines and Aer lingus have pretty bad veggie meals - use to think British Airways were good but had two bad trips back to back with them last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Ba are qutie good - fly with them a lot to Turkey (so short haul), and instead of those crap luke warm tray affairs, you get a little lunch sack after take off. Mostly they are veggie anyway, sometimes an option. In them there is a veggie soc approved cream cheese and chive tortilla wrap, a slice of fruit cake, OJ, a bag of mixed seeds and nuts, water and then you can have tea/coffee. You get the bag after take off, and eat whatever if anything you want, as you want - no faffing around with those stupid trays, and hostesses pushing down the aisle. They are quite nice, and whilst they won't burst your stomach, at least they are edible and fresh and you can eat at your own pace. Really good idea IMO - more airelines should adopt this practical approach.

Not sure what their long haul is like, but when I went to Oz with them about 8 years ago the food was really good for airplane food and plenty of it!

And as other said, BA are the ONLY airline I have never had problems with re: veggie meals - most times even when I order them in advance, remind the checkin agent, remind the stewards, even then I still don't get a meal! For every other airline I fly with I bring a few sambos and snacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

I found BA to be definitely the best for veggie food. Aer Lingus is okay - they've let me down a couple of times though after I'd ordered a veg*n meal.

I found Lufthansa to be pretty bad. Either they forget or you have to nearly fight to prove you ordered one or it's all raw vegetables.

Worst of all was the late (definitely not great) Belgian airline Sabena. They presented me with two dry biscuits both of which had the dreaded "dierlijke vet" (animal fat) as an ingredient. When I told the air hostess, her reaction was basically "And your problem is....?"

They went bankrupt in 2001. Boo hoo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

We booked vegetarian meals via booking line on flights to new york with aer lingus in december. Meals arrived before everyone elses with our names and seat numbers on them. Very efficient. Meal ok, pasta with creamy sauce, salad and bread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Gadjodilo wrote:
    Worst of all was the late (definitely not great) Belgian airline Sabena. They presented me with two dry biscuits both of which had the dreaded "dierlijke vet" (animal fat) as an ingredient. When I told the air hostess, her reaction was basically "And your problem is....?"

They went bankrupt in 2001. Boo hoo.

Jeez! I can imagine how you left at that moment. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Gadjodilo wrote: »

I had a similar experience recently - I was on an aer lingus flight on Friday when I asked if the dark chocolate bar on their sky café menu contained any dairy, they said no, it didn't - I purchased a bar only to read the ingredients and discover that "milk fat" was on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Print this out, or forward it to Aer Lingus :)
    RT789XYZ (your 6 digit PNR number)
    SRVGML
    ET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Print this out, or forward it to Aer Lingus :)
    RT789XYZ (your 6 digit PNR number)
    SRVGML
    ET

Ummm... wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

As a regular Aer Lingus customer, it was annoying to have to constantly call their helpline before every flight.

Fret no more - you can now fill out this form and they'll book a vegetarian meal for you:
    https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/meal-request-form/

Hopefully they actually follow up on it though, I'm using this for my upcoming flight so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

gawker wrote: »
    As a regular Aer Lingus customer, it was annoying to have to constantly call their helpline before every flight.

Fret no more - you can now fill out this form and they'll book a vegetarian meal for you:
    https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/meal-request-form/

Hopefully they actually follow up on it though, I'm using this for my upcoming flight so fingers crossed.

Delighted to hear this, that was a pet peeve of mine. Let us know if you actually get your veggie meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I flew San Francisco to Dublin this week and had called ahead and asked for the vegan option. The guy knew it was for me because when they first went around I asked if any of the snacks were vegan (they weren't). It was marked VGML which their website says "Doesn’t contain any dairy products, meat, poultry, or seafood" but it had butter and biscuits with milk in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Do they not give you a menu in economy? Never have to ring ahead up front, fillet steak is always ready to rock.

Advertisement