Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

17. Nani

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

actually Mr_Alan has posted the most in this thread.

Ah, but he is not 'for' Nani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ah, but he is not 'for' Nani.

Exactly so the fact that he has ten pages of conversation doesn't prove he has anything going for him.

EDIT: it also doesn't prove he has nothing going for him.

What it proves is that he has divided fans both Man Utd fans and non-Man Utd fans.

Second EDIT: i like how Boggles is using the thanks as a means to keep his post count down so he doesn't over take Mr_Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

actually Mr_Alan has posted the most in this thread.

obsessed tbh

small time mentality some might say

Unearthly wrote: »
    obsessed tbh

homer-eating-popcorn-small-c7873.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Unearthly wrote: »
    obsessed tbh

ha ha ha hilarious.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ha ha ha hilarious.

homer.jpg

Thats supposed to be disappointed Homer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He's a smart boy is Alan

Worth a shot though:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Des wrote: »
    There's a dedicated Manchester United thread tbh.

Yes, and it has the ability add polls to it dynamically? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Don't understand people who post absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

Nani deserves a chance, he's only 21 or 22. Should we have gotten rid of Ronaldo after a season and a half? He hardly set the world on fire in his first two years with his awful crossing?

Nani really annoys me at times with his choices, but then again, so did Ronaldo. If you look at his stats, he's done pretty ok. I'd prefer him on the right though. He always plays much better there. He tries to cut inside too often on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Boggles wrote: »
    There in a nutshell is why Rafa will never win the league.

why?? cos he doesnt constantly get ref decisions in his favour like utd have constantly at old trafford for the past ten years..shame on u rafa for not attempting to bully refs more..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Poll is missing the "I couldn't give a flying toss" option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

+1

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And was absolutely woeful in them. I watched all Brazil's games bar one I think (thank you time zone) and he was piss poor. Even Lucas looked better.

(Jo was **** too btw before anyone accuses me of City bias)

even lucas?? thats a bit harsh on lucas. remember he was the youngest ever winner of player of the year in brazil or summit..previous winners include kaka, rivaldo and co iirc...lucas and anderson will both be top midfielders imo...im a bog anderson fan tbh and while i would take him to the pool in a heartbeat i dunno if he would get on(not a dig) therefore maybe stunting his growth..gonna be class tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hands up who said yes?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I said no :)

Always had faith he would come good, always had the attributes, excellent shot cross and dribbling.

Just he was inconsistent as fúck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I started the thread :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hands up who said yes?:rolleyes:

I said Yes. Today. And crossed my fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well, at least everyone who said 'yes' gave a then 22 year old plenty of time to make an impression in the Premier League. Oh wait....:pac:

Only joking lads, but seriously, most young players need time to adapt to the Premier League and this thread is proof that you shouldn't make judgements on young players too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Thank God Fergie stuck with Nani.
    If I was told 18 months ago he would be the best winger in the league I would have laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'm guessing Nani is the reason alot of people have faith in Anderson to come good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I didn't realise the date on this thread and was wondering why Hull were being mentioned.
    I was also getting increasingly annoyed by what I was reading!

I would have voted yes 18 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

could have sworn I posted in this thread...

guess most of my Nani arguments were in the superthread :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

who was that poster who kept telling ppl how good Nani was but they just wouldnt believe him? he also (deservedly) rated ibrahimovic too. this thread is just further proof that a lot of posters on this forum really truly know dick-all when it comes to rating players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I would have voted yes when this poll. Hated Nani last season, just thought he was a poor mans Ronaldo.

I think having to play alongside Ronnie has hugely improved him, Im sure he was constantly trying to out-do him. Now that he's on his own he's had a chance to shine, and has been immense this season.

Going by recent player valuations, hes prob worth about 40m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Voted no. I had a few "lay off him" rants in the United thread (although I lost this username in the boards hacking incident), nice to look back and know I wasn't clinically insane :pac:
    Y2J_MUFC wrote:
    He needs people getting behind him, not getting on his back. I have faith in him to come good sooner or later. He showed enough in his first season when he played (semi) regularly, that he can be a match winner. He needs to be trusted and that will help his confidence.

Have faith in him ffs. He has a lot of potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jesus this thread's so old I probably voted "Atari Jaguar"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Love threads like this! Made my day.

About 80% of United fans saying he should have been sold, now he's probably the best winger in the Prem.

Oh and Anderson to win the World Player of the year within 5 years! ROFL. :rolleyes:

Still nothing gets on my nerves as much as young lads being dismissed without being given a proper chance. We had it at Liverpool with Lucas, incidentally derided on this thread, and look where he's at now.

Great thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

About 80% of United fans saying he should have been sold, now he's probably the best winger in the Prem.

Oh and Anderson to win the World Player of the year within 5 years! ROFL. :rolleyes:

Still nothing gets on my nerves as much as young lads being dismissed without being given a proper chance. We had it at Liverpool with Lucas, incidentally derided on this thread, and look where he's at now.

Great thread.

Are you genuinely retarded?

View Poll Results: Do you think we should sell Nani at the end of the season? Yes bar2-l.gifbar2.gifbar2-r.gifclear.gif62 51.67% No bar3-l.gifbar3.gifbar3-r.gifclear.gif58 48.33% Voters: 120. You have already voted on this poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

astrofool wrote: »
    On Nani, fans are fickle, he'll find his feet soon enough, he's still young enough to keep on learning, and he'll weigh in with a few crucial goals between now and the end of the season, he'll have another couple of years at OT before they make their mind up long term with him. Second season syndrome, which he'll get over.

I shall quote myself today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If this made your day, you need to get out more.

Are you capable of making a post without trying to have pathetic little digs at Utd fans? The bitterness is rife.

Great thread.

How dare you compare Nani's rise to fame with Lucas.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Are you genuinely retarded?

View Poll Results: Do you think we should sell Nani at the end of the season? Yes bar2-l.gifbar2.gifbar2-r.gifclear.gif62 51.67% No bar3-l.gifbar3.gifbar3-r.gifclear.gif58 48.33% Voters: 120. You have already voted on this poll

That doesn't take allegiances into account. The likes of Iago, Rory C, Carroler 16, Deise Devil and others were very vehement in their criticism of Nani. Rather a lot of United fans were proven very, very wrong. You even expressed your doubts about him.

If this made your day, you need to get out more.

Are you capable of making a post without trying to have pathetic little digs at Utd fans? The bitterness is rife.

How dare you compare Nani's rise to fame with Lucas.

Lucas is now a regular starter for Brazil and in my mind one of the best defensive midfielders in the league in my opinion. Both have come a long way since January 2009. Because one has come farther than the other doesn't diminish the other's achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

That doesn't take allegiances into account. The likes of Iago, Rory C, Carroler 16, Deise Devil and others were very vehement in their criticism of Nani. Rather a lot of United fans were proven very, very wrong. You even expressed your doubts about him.

At least you've learned the name of the club. Manchester United, not Trafford FC.

Also, since when has Lucas proven himself???

Don't worry about rowing back on my account, it was a rhetorical question anyway.

roryc wrote: »
    At least you've learned the name of the club. Manchester United, not Trafford FC.

Also, since when has Lucas proven himself???

Probably the game against Chelsea at Anfield where he was man of the match.

Since he has played 90 minutes in every game since 24 October bar one where he was suspended and one other.

Since he became first choice midfielder for Brazil post World cup.

Look I talk a lot of shít but you can't dispute the fact that Lucas has proven himself to be a very useful and good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Look I talk a lot of shít but you can't dispute the fact that Lucas has proven himself to be a very useful and good player.

That's the most accurate thing you have ever said on this fourm if not the only accurate statement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lucas = Poor mans Paul Green.

People still questioning Lucas' quality don't watch enough soccer IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's just lazy thinking from people who get their opinions from tabloids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

J. Marston wrote: »
    Thank God Fergie stuck with Nani.
    If I was told 18 months ago he would be the best winger in the league I would have laughed.

i got into a debate about nani 14 months ago in a pub, people were slagging him off. i put a bet on with the barman that nani would prove himself to be world class and would be a future world player of the year canditate. he wrote it down, i signed it and its sitting in a glass over the til.

if he keeps going as he is and united win a few trophies, there is no reason why he wont be a top player and up for the final 3 in the world player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

if he keeps going as he is and united win a few trophies, there is no reason why he wont be a top player and up for the final 3 in the world player of the year.

In how many seasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i got into a debate about nani 14 months ago in a pub, people were slagging him off. i put a bet on with the barman that nani would prove himself to be world class and would be a future world player of the year canditate. he wrote it down, i signed it and its sitting in a glass over the til.

While I think he has been great this season, I don't think he will even by up for player of the year in england, never mind WPOTY.

People just don't like him and while he stats show him to be a very effective footballer when you watch him every game he is still the most infuriating player on the pitch in every game. Look at the birmingham game as a prime example. Got himself a goal, well done. Wasted approximately a billion (or 5/6/7) really really good chances by shooting when the pass/cross was clearly the choice to make.

Regardless of the infuriating selfishness to his game at times, I think he will be consistently overlooked for POTY awards because of who he is. People will always see him as a spoiled, petulant, moaning, diving, preening waster. He dives (or makes a meal of things) and moans far too much to get people 'onside' which is required to win trophies.

Of course, CRonaldo has shown that when you are THAT good you will be recognised, but I don't think Nani has it in him to be as dominating as Ronaldo is/was to push him up to the level required.

In saying all that, he would certainly be up there for POTY for United, along with Vidic, and if I had my way he WOULD be considered for PL POTY at least. He has been the best winger in the league this season, and in terms of conventional wingers there are very few to touch him in world football at the moment. imo.

eZe^ wrote: »
    In how many seasons?
    tbh, he should be there or there abouts this season if Bale (as it looks likely) will be in the top 10. Maybe if he has a good KO stages of the CL he'll be more in the reckoning but people always seem to prefer the goalscorers over the people setting them up. Look at how long it took for Xavi to get the recognition he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Look at the birmingham game as a prime example. Got himself a goal, well done. Wasted approximately a billion (or 5/6/7) really really good chances by shooting when the pass/cross was clearly the choice to make.

That'll come with experience though, he's moving in the right direction, which is the encouraging thing. In 3 seasons time he could potentially fill the void Cristiano left perfectly.

Liam O wrote: »
    tbh, he should be there or there abouts this season if Bale (as it looks likely) will be in the top 10. Maybe if he has a good KO stages of the CL he'll be more in the reckoning but people always seem to prefer the goalscorers over the people setting them up. Look at how long it took for Xavi to get the recognition he deserves.

Thing is Xavi has been magnificent since 2003 for Barcelona, he was just not rated that highly outside of hard core La Liga followers. Nani is still closer to raw potential than someone who's a world beater but just not getting any credit imo, but he's come on leaps and bounds, he's an excellent player, but nowhere near the top3 in the world yet.

eZe^ wrote: »
    That'll come with experience though, he's moving in the right direction, which is the encouraging thing. In 3 seasons time he could potentially fill the void Cristiano left perfectly.

Thing is Xavi has been magnificent since 2003 for Barcelona, he was just not rated that highly outside of hard core La Liga followers. Nani is still closer to raw potential than someone who's a world beater but just not getting any credit imo, but he's come on leaps and bounds, he's an excellent player, but nowhere near the top3 in the world yet.
    If United make it to the semis or final of the CL this season and he is the star attacking performer then I don't see why he wouldn't be included in the debate. He has that ability that when both himself and the team are playing rubbish he'll pop up with a great cross or shot and get a goal or assist. I don't mind him being wasteful when I know that he is capable from those positions I can accept him missing 3 in a game and coming up with a goal or assist, same as with Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

While I think he has been great this season, I don't think he will even by up for player of the year in england, never mind WPOTY.

he will be though alot depends on who is playing well in the next 6 weeks when the votes are cast.

I agree, but these misconceptions are very common.

If I was to tell you that Titus Bramble is a very good defender what would your response be?

It's all but guaranteed that he will be I reckon.

Nani, Vidic, Nasri, VDV, Berbatov and Tevez will be the main candidates. Vidic or Nasri will probably win it.

Wilshere, Bale, Henderson, Johnson and Hart will be up for the young player of the year award. Bale will win it.

Paully D wrote: »
    I agree, but these misconceptions are very common.

If I was to tell you that Titus Bramble is a very good defender what would your response be?

I watch soccer, what do you think my response will be?

If you're making the point that an incredible amount of posts here are informed by tabloids rather than actual knowledge or first hand information (ie actually watching games) then I obv agree.

Also, lol at Nani being considered for World Player of the Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

deisedevil wrote: »
    That's exactly his problem. I have been saying it since he came to the club, he rarely picks the right option and he's selfish, along with being a bit of a brat, but i wouldn't care about that if he started to play well. At the beginning I was defending him saying he needed time but now I'm starting to wonder if it's just time he needs or if he's ever going to start doing the right thing at the right time.

Just seen my comment from back then.

It's great to say he's finally picking the right options and has become a better team player. Really enjoy watching him play now rather than being constantly frustrated with him.

I have no idea what way I voted but I'm glad he's still with us and still improving.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement