Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing handles on furniture

• 08-01-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,

My wife and i are looking at a buying a particular sideboard for the house but the only thing stopping us are the handles on it. Sounds like a small thing but the handles look a bit daft on this otherwise nice piece of furniture.

The points connected to the actual handle part, connected to the sideboard itself, are a few inches apart, not sure what. Point is, does anyone know if it's easy enough to replace a handle, do they come in enough shapes and sizes that a replacement of the same size will be easy enough to find ?

Cheers,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Handles are usually just fastened with a bolt that screws into the fitting from inside the drawer or door. Back when I was looking at these things, the distance between centres was usually 64, 96 or 128mm for some reason, so if you can get in to measure the distance between the two bolt heads inside a door or drawer (not the width of the handle itself) you should then be able to see if it fits into one of these standard sizes.

The only two snags you might run into are ..

1) the bolts supplied are too long for the thickness of the door / drawer you're fastening them on to. Either cut the bolts to size with a hacksaw or just buy some shorter ones.

2) the holes left when you take the old handles off might be too small for the bolts that come with the new handles. Only option here is to drill the holes out to the required diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭raler

Smashing, thats just the info I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Rob

Advertisement