Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Question

Options
  • 08-01-2009 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Thinking about buying a 2nd hand sar off a dealer that currently does not have a in-date NCT. They have told me that they will guarantee to get it through the NCT for me.

Was just wondering is it legal to drive the car around while waiting for the NCT test to come through i.e. if I get pulled by the cops is it ok to show proof that you have applied for the test at least?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Not sure if it is legal or not, but......just demand that the garage give you the car with a valid NCT cert. End of.
    This is their job. They sell cars. FFS, its the least they can do if they want to sell a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

yea, you're grand as long as you have proof you've applied for the test or an appointment for the test.
    Guards will usually just tell you to get the test sorted out within 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Afaik you cannot drive around without NCT.
    No insurance without NCT
    No road tax without insurance

So you'd be driving without anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

biko wrote: »
    Afaik you cannot drive around without NCT.
    No insurance without NCT
    No road tax without insurance

So you'd be driving without anything.

You don't need prrof of an NCT to get tax or insurance - but if you were to have an accident, it would be an easy way for an insurance company to avoid paying out - don't give them this opportunity!

Stnad your ground with the dealer - it's not like used cars are walking off the forecourts these days. Tell the delaer you'll buy it when the NCT cert has been issued.

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Thinking about buying a 2nd hand sar off a dealer that currently does not have a in-date NCT. They have told me that they will guarantee to get it through the NCT for me.

Was just wondering is it legal to drive the car around while waiting for the NCT test to come through i.e. if I get pulled by the cops is it ok to show proof that you have applied for the test at least?

Tell them you're not buying it until it has an NCT disc on it. They're asking you to break the law by suggesting that you take a car without a current NCT disc on it. This annoys me about the industry, everyone whinging about lack of sales and folks trying to sell cars without even a current NCT on the windscreen. :mad::mad::mad:

Also OP, don't expose yourself to hassle or stress if you NCT it and it fails, tell them to keep it simple and get a cancellation (1890 412 413 is NCT booking line), and get the car passed. They'll get a cancellation easy enough and problem sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement