Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4FM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I can't believe I did not include Martin Block, of all people, in my superpirates list! It is well documented that he got a gig with Sunshine Radio in 1980, doing a bit of everything including reading the news, deejaying and sales and of course voiceovers. He then went on to Radio Nova and subsequently left in 1985 for Q102. Although mainly behind the scenes in management, he kept up the voiceover work over the years. Apparently, he is a good James Bond mimic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I can't believe I did not include Martin Block, of all people, in my superpirates list! It is well documented that he got a gig with Sunshine Radio in 1980, doing a bit of everything including reading the news, deejaying and sales and of course voiceovers. He then went on to Radio Nova and subsequently left in 1985 for Q102. Although mainly behind the scenes in management, he kept up the voiceover work over the years. Apparently, he is a good James Bond mimic!

I would say that they are all experienced radio presenters rather then RTÉ domination. Up to 1989 it was only pirates and RTÉ, look at Today FM Ian Dempsey, Ray D'Arcy and Tony Fenton, is Donal Dinean back on Today FM? What do you expect, especially for an over 45's radio station, why do they have a golden hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I've been listening today on and off. Some good music, but very cheesy presenting and corny jokes...Gareth O'Callaghan will be in his element.

During the week should be better. I'm looking forward to Tom McGurk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Anyone know the previous experience of the following people mentioned on 4FM's schedule:
    Marian Farrell, Kieran Phillips, Chris Maher and Allen Smith?

I wonder if thats the same Kieran Phillips that ran a small SW or MW pirate in the 1970's or 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

It is interesting looking at the background of the staff.

Al Dunne also on Radio City from Capel st.

Jim Kenny ARD 257 MW

Gerry Stevens Capitol The Album station.

Gareth O'Callaghan AKA Tony Gareth Radio Dublin and ARD plus UK plus an Off shore pirate.

Bernie Jamieson also Radio NOVA

David Harvey AKA Dave Harvey on Radio NOVA and Southside.

Mark Byrne did his first ever radio broadcast on South Dublin Radio on 312 MW back in the early 80's

Kieran Phillips and if its the Kieran Phillips I remember he had Radio Mi Amigo in his folks house in Monkstown in the late 70's.

Hi Declan as a real sad ANORACK I felt I had to put my 2 pence in. Hope you don't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is there any hope of people in the south east ever hearing this channel through a radio?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Is there any hope of people in the south east ever hearing this channel through a radio?
    Probably not.

DAB :rolleyes: maybe ..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

I must say - I'm really impressed by this station. The music is cool and I think having Tom McGuirk on at the same time as Hookie will make for some interesting Radio!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Big opportunity missed here.
    This was being promoted as a station for the OVER 45's. That means the MINIMUM age was 45, presumably going up to 90 or whatever.
    I was honestly hoping for a 24 hour music station which would play Frank Sinatra, Dino, Ella, Tony Bennet, Perry Como, Nat King Cole with lots of Big Band music (Glen Miller, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey etc.)
    Josef Locke, John McCormack et al could've provided an Irish interest while the Broadway Musicals would've proved to be hugely popular with this age demographic.(45 - 85)
    Instead, on the numerous occasions that I have tuned in, I've heard Phil Collins, Tina Turner singing "What's love got to do with it", Elvis Costello with "I can't stand up for falling down", Abba, Queen....etc.
    This is just the same old sh1te that's on every other mainstream Fm station if you tune in at any time of the day.
    Like I say, Big opportunity missed.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

mcscrub wrote: »
    I must say - I'm really impressed by this station. The music is cool and I think having Tom McGuirk on at the same time as Hookie will make for some interesting Radio!!

Yeah, but to my ears this is a total travisty having yet another 'Drivetime' show on from 5-7pm/ish . . . . . Today FM (Matt Cooper), Newstalk (George Hook), RTE Radio 1 (Mary Wilson), and now 4FM with (Tom McGuirk) all doing exactly the same thing, all at the same time, & all talking about the same subjects :confused:

In my books this is just so so stale & depressing!

I was hopoing that 4FM would think 'outside the box'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

im picking it up in carlow, reasonably well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

No luck in Kilkenny. We're stuck with feckin' Beat 102 down here :mad:

It's a shame they've got McGurk doing a current affairs show. Is there not a market out there for a music show for the people who don't want to listen to Mary Wilson/Matt Cooper/George Hook in the evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listening to "catch up" of Tom McGurks prog (Biffo interview), that jingle sounds awful - "Mu-Gurrrrrrrrk"

Well that was as easy a 15 mins as the Tee-sacht will have enjoyed in quite some time. I trust the "would you like your cushion plumped up?" tone is not going to be the default setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Tuned in today for the first time, music is pretty good,
    Mcguuuuurk comes across as pompus as always.

Kiberd is pretty good. Did he have a stake in Newstalk?

Not many ads- Could this be a big problem if they can't get revenue in quilcky?

spadder wrote: »
    Tuned in today for the first time, Kiberd is pretty good.

An 'automaton' with a personality bypass would be more my understanding of him :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

mike65 wrote: »

Thanks for that.

Really starting to like it, good mix of music. I'm generally a Radio 1 morning listener, particularly Pat Kennys show, but have been listening to as much of 4FM as possible.

I listened to Gareth O' Callaghan this morning while out jogging (probably better than Morning Ireland to get me motivated) and it wasn't too bad, considering my long held dislike of him as a DJ.
    I like Tom McGurk and his show has a nice mix of current affairs and music, as does Damien Kiberd.

I think however it's Jimmy Greeley who has really converted me. Anyone who plays 'Fool for your Loving' by the mighty Whitesnake on a Wednesday morning gets my vote!

• Advertisement

That'll get the grannies rocking around the ironing board!

Did he have to issue a warning beforehand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

yea i think its sounding good greely and brian mccoll the 3pm hour is agret idea i like the music its good to hear real music on the radio and im a 34 year old so they might get a broader audiance than planned, i think they should only have a talk show at lunch time it would be great to have all music at drive time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

It is interesting looking at the background of the staff.

Anyone know the previous experience of the following people mentioned on 4FM's schedule:
    Marian Farrell, Kieran Phillips, Chris Maher and Allen Smith?

Declan
    Marian was on 2FM in the early days and also worked in RTE TV continuity,Chris Maher presented Soul Kitchen on Dublin City while Allen Smith is a jazz promoter and big jazz fan.Dublin City also provides Sean Brophy on the Smooth Jazz stream Mondays.

Cheers

Declan
    Marian was on 2FM in the early days and also worked in RTE TV continuity,Chris Maher presented Soul Kitchen on Dublin City while Allen Smith is a jazz promoter and big jazz fan.Dublin City also provides Sean Brophy on the Smooth Jazz stream Mondays.

Cheers

So another angle to 4FM is the Anna Livia/Dubln City FM connection. As well as the above mentioned, Karl Tsignidos was also with this station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I welcome he addition of 4fm to the airwaves, haven't caught any of the shows yet but hope to soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Firetrap wrote: »
    No luck in Kilkenny. We're stuck with feckin' Beat 102 down here :mad:

It's a shame they've got McGurk doing a current affairs show. Is there not a market out there for a music show for the people who don't want to listen to Mary Wilson/Matt Cooper/George Hook in the evening?

I took a break from Matt on Twoday Eff Em for the past few evenings and listened to Tom McG - jury is still out but one thing I'll say is that he comes across pretty knowledgeable about the music he plays.

Given that Mr. Block is involved in the station you can hear the hark back to the old Lite FM - hell Michael Comyn from the old days is doing the w/end brekkie show and his sister is reading the news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GiggsCork

They launched their first commercial on TV tonight :). I spotted it on Sky1 but supposing its on RTE and TV3 aswell

GiggsCork wrote: »
    They launched their first commercial on TV tonight :). I spotted it on Sky1 but supposing its on RTE and TV3 aswell

I thought they had another one on TV and thought I saw one a few weeks ago, I could be wrong. They have allot of Dublin Bus covered as well.

This is Kybird on 4FM, and joining me 'In Studio' today is my guest who has very kindly decided to join me here in studio on 4FM 'In Studio' . . .

Thank you for coming 'into Studio' today guest, here on 4FM, I'm Damian Kybird and here 'in Studio' with me is my guest of the day here on 4FM with me Damian Kybird only on 4FM here 'In Studio. . . . :rolleyes:

Slight exaggeration maybe, but you get the idea.

I think Kybird is appalling, and I think he is the 'weakest Link' on an otherwise OK Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Cant say I've heard a lot of Kybird but I hear he was much better on Newstalk a few years ago before they went national.

I tried to listen the the Lunchtime programme, but I can't cope with a bit of news chat and then a bit of music. Its got to be one or the other. I can't have multitask radio.

• Advertisement

I tried to listen the the Lunchtime programme, but I can't cope with a bit of news chat and then a bit of music. Its got to be one or the other. I can't have multitask radio.

Funny that, it used to work quite well for BBC Radio 2 in the 80s.

Maybe we've just gotten too used to specific stations doing specific things and our expectations have been raised.

Without sounding like I'm aftertiming, as I typed out that post I did think of Jimmy Young

I don't know it seemed to work out well for Derek Davis. As pointed out Tom McGurk wouldn't be too different from Wilson, Hook and Cooper only he plays a few tunes perhaps he should try to reflex the news in the music he plays. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GiggsCork

Elmo wrote: »
    I thought they had another one on TV and thought I saw one a few weeks ago, I could be wrong. They have allot of Dublin Bus covered as well.

Seems like they are going to improve their listener rate a lot over the coming weeks. Nothing down in Cork at the moment, not a single bus... for now. But I don't think 96/C103 and Red would be happy if it would go through with bus Erinn.

bilko1234 wrote: »
    This was being promoted as a station for the OVER 45's.

I saw the article in last weeks Sunday Times about 4FM and this over 45's demographic was mentioned again.

From what I've heard on air so far, they could be alienating potential younger listeners...youngsters in their 30's like myself;)

I think the format and music could appeal to a broader age group than they seem to be targeting.

I have been listening to this on the internet and hear them saying that they broadcast right across the country. False.

I know some cheek, its one thing they deffo not not do.

I have been listening to this on the internet and hear them saying that they broadcast right across the country. False.
    But they do. Over the interweb.

Well if thats thier logic they are availible across the planet. Remember when RTE got all Global a few years back "RTE radio 1 on the Astra 1D satellite and online around the world"

Currently listening to Saturday Night at the Movies with Philip Molloy, great stuff. Really varied selection of soundtracks.

Makes a nice change from the usual saturday night musical choice on most stations. Generally either 70's and 80's disco or techno/house/dance/trance...or whatever it is the kids call it.

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    But they do. Over the interweb.

Very good. It is just a pity that I cannot listen to them if driving my car across the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Cole wrote: »
    Currently listening to Saturday Night at the Movies with Philip Molloy, great stuff. Really varied selection of soundtracks.

Makes a nice change from the usual saturday night musical choice on most stations. Generally either 70's and 80's disco or techno/house/dance/trance...or whatever it is the kids call it.

Likewise, Iv'e been listening since about 6pm, great tunes all the way

There's echoes of Century about 4FM. Cant help thinking how will this station survive the downturn when established stations like Red FM, who also have TCH as backers, are in big trouble financially. I bet those ex-RTE people dont come cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

spadder wrote: »
    Likewise, Iv'e been listening since about 6pm, great tunes all the way

I agree, the music on 4fm is class. I'm glad of the break from the usual chart music (which by the way can occassionally have some gems).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Been listening to McGurk a few days this week. He does tend to punctuate everything his guests with an impatient 'shure' or 'hmmm' every 20 seconds or so, but a more annoying habit is when he is asking a question, he tries to work in the name of the guest and the station. A good example was when he had Jason Byrne on, he said (about 5 mins into the interview) "So, Jason Byrne talking on 4FM, tell me how you got into comedy". Next day he completely interrupted Eamon Malley mid-sentence to ask his next question, using the same 'Eamon Malley, speaking to me on 4FM, ....'.

Only listened to Gareth and caught a bit of shows here and there, overall I think it is an excellent addition to the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Jaysus, sure the last thing I want to do is knock a new entity, but what is it about our entire media, that it has to be populated with the same people all the time? Can we have no new faces? Was there a recruitment fair held in the RTE canteen on the day of derek Davis' retirement do? Tom McGurk, Derek Davis, Jimmy Bleedin Greeley? Gareth O'Callaghan? I just don't understand... Will Gay Byrne be getting a slot? Brush Shiels? Will Jimmy McGee be presenting the breakfast show?
    And we DEFINITELY don't need another Drivetime Politics show.

Singer73 wrote: »
    Jaysus, sure the last thing I want to do is knock a new entity, but what is it about our entire media, that it has to be populated with the same people all the time? Can we have no new faces? Was there a recruitment fair held in the RTE canteen on the day of derek Davis' retirement do? Tom McGurk, Derek Davis, Jimmy Bleedin Greeley? Gareth O'Callaghan? I just don't understand... Will Gay Byrne be getting a slot? Brush Shiels? Will Jimmy McGee be presenting the breakfast show?

This is radio, no new faces on radio sorry I had to :)

You have to remember that they are going after an audience that is listening to Radio 1.

Genghis wrote: »
    "So, Jason Byrne talking on 4FM, tell me how you got into comedy". Next day he completely interrupted Eamon Malley mid-sentence to ask his next question, using the same 'Eamon Malley, speaking to me on 4FM, ....'.

Well I suppose he want's to let people know he isn't standing in for Mary Wilson on Radio 1 :D

Singer73 wrote: »

I know the point you are making but....
    Most of the people who were with RTE had left that organisation long before Derek Davis or Tom McGurk. Gareth has spent the last couple of years on Galway Bay FM, and, prior to that, he had briefly left radio to concentrate on psychology. Jimmy Greeley has been with 98FM/98 since the spring of 1994 (that's 15 years ago!). Brian McColl left 2FM around 1991. It is many years since Gerry Stevens was on 2FM. Michael Comyn left Lyric FM in 2000.

So they had no business being in the RTE canteen for Derek Davis's do!

Anyway, as someone else said, it is about experience. I think, given the age profile of their target audience, it is no surprise that many on the station are household names going back a number of years.

There are some lesser known names in the schedule by the way - Kieran Philips, Allen Smith, Sean Brophy and Chris Maher, for example. And, for that matter, Marian Farrell - even if she was with RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

I know the point you are making but....
    Most of the people who were with RTE had left that organisation long before Derek Davis or Tom McGurk. Gareth has spent the last couple of years on Galway Bay FM, and, prior to that, he had briefly left radio to concentrate on psychology. Jimmy Greeley has been with 98FM/98 since the spring of 1994 (that's 15 years ago!). Brian McColl left 2FM around 1991. It is many years since Gerry Stevens was on 2FM. Michael Comyn left Lyric FM in 2000.

So they had no business being in the RTE canteen for Derek Davis's do!

Anyway, as someone else said, it is about experience. I think, given the age profile of their target audience, it is no surprise that many on the station are household names going back a number of years.

There are some lesser known names in the schedule by the way - Kieran Philips, Allen Smith, Sean Brophy and Chris Maher, for example. And, for that matter, Marian Farrell - even if she was with RTE.

Gerry Stevens was with LMFM for the past few years had a very good afternoon show. Heard Dave Heffernan presenting a programme the other night he has'nt been on the air for years. Noel McCaul - ex Dublins Country ?

Overall I think the station is a good offering - anyway they've hit the ground running so if they have any chance of survival they well deserve it. I'm of the age profile that they are pitching at but with two young kids I'll listen to anything (almost). But was doing a band scan the other night at home in West Dublin - leaving out the odd pirate or two we had 2FM - POP, Today FM - POP, 98 pop FM104 the same and it goes on - Phantom is a breath of fresh air so will 4FM. The trick is for them to start taking revenue - their ad breaks are a bit embarrassing at the moment.

Advertisement