Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4FM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

josh59 wrote: »
    But was doing a band scan the other night at home in West Dublin - leaving out the odd pirate or two we had 2FM - POP, Today FM - POP, 98 pop FM104 the same and it goes on - Phantom is a breath of fresh air so will 4FM. The trick is for them to start taking revenue - their ad breaks are a bit embarrassing at the moment.

They could just give a few ad slots to some charities for a while, also you for got Spin - POP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Genghis wrote: »
    Been listening to McGurk a few days this week. He does tend to punctuate everything his guests with an impatient 'shure' or 'hmmm' every 20 seconds or so, but a more annoying habit is when he is asking a question, he tries to work in the name of the guest and the station. A good example was when he had Jason Byrne on

It comes across like he is either not interested in what the guest is saying or just wants to drown them out and offer his own views.
    I heard that Jason Byrne interview, quickest and most pointless interview I've heard in a long time.
    "Hello Jason, tells us about being a comedian...shure...hmmm...goodbye. That was Jason Byrne on 4FM"

Just listened to him fawning all over Jeffrey Archer this evening.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

mike65 wrote: »
    Well if thats thier logic they are availible across the planet. Remember when RTE got all Global a few years back "RTE radio 1 on the Astra 1D satellite and online around the world"

And dont forget " On Am, FM, Longwave - in the days before they decided that AM was dead - silly people - look at 5 live in the UK. A friend of mine years ago told me that there was a policy to maintain a national AM service for national security reasons - then again at that time the FM coverage was limited and there were fever radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Cole wrote: »
    It comes across like he is either not interested in what the guest is saying or just wants to drown them out and offer his own views.
    I heard that Jason Byrne interview, quickest and most pointless interview I've heard in a long time.
    "Hello Jason, tells us about being a comedian...shure...hmmm...goodbye. That was Jason Byrne on 4FM"

Entirely appropriate given that its Jason Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

From 4fm.ie McGurk page
    "Monday kicked off with our man from the north Eamonn Mullaly, in the aftermath of the real IRA killings"

10th March 2009
    Todays show kicked off with
    Eamon Malli in the North filling us in on the headlining story of the moment

FFS spell the man's name right its Mallie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JoeFitz89

Just wondering would they ever consider broadcasting on sky digital?I have heard a bit of 4fm but cannot get a signal here on fm as i am just outside the reach of the overspill signal which is recieveable in other parts of north tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 radiohead7

dont think it's going up on Sky yet but you can listen to 4fm online at www.4fm.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

At least they would reach a larger audience if they did. Not everyone has broadband. It's daft too that the multi-city licence doesn't include Waterford or Kilkenny. The regional station down here - Beat 102 - is tinnitus radio that only appeals to the kids.

Firetrap wrote: »
    At least they would reach a larger audience if they did. Not everyone has broadband. It's daft too that the multi-city licence doesn't include Waterford or Kilkenny. The regional station down here - Beat 102 - is tinnitus radio that only appeals to the kids.

I assume the Regional Channels for the Under 35s where set up due to the high number of Over 35 stations available regionally.

Well, if they want to grant a licence to a station geared towards the kids, that's fair enough. But it still doesn't explain why the south-east which has two cities - Waterford & Kilkenny - was excluded from the multi-city licence. The people who listen to Beat would never listen to 4fm and vice versa. There is no regional station aimed at the over 35s down here unless someone knows of a station I don't know. The locals don't count by the way. Every part of the country has a local station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One city.

One city.

Two very small cities by charter no? Kilkenny and Waterford?

IMO most Local Radio stations are aimed towards the over 35s and are pretty in direct competition with Radio 1. 4FM is aimed toward the over 45s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

One city.

Since when are Waterford & Kilkenny "one" city ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Since when are Waterford & Kilkenny "one" city ? :confused:
    I "think" Mike means that there is only one city. i.e Kilkenny is not a city.
    Thats another debate though.
    AFAIK, the reason Waterford was not included in the so called "multi city" licence is because it was not included in the original expressions of interest going back many years. I'm not entirely sure of the details, but the BCI generally advertise a franchise depending on interest received. If Waterford was not included in an expression of interest, then.....

I'd love to know the answer. Multi-city is an ambiguous term by the looks of things.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I "think" Mike means that there is only one city. i.e Kilkenny is not a city.
    Thats another debate though.

Since when did Kilkenny loose its charter? Kilkenny City and Waterford City. Regardless of size both are Cities.

Multi-region/county rather than Multi-City.

I'd love to know the answer. Multi-city is an ambiguous term by the looks of things.
    Take it up with the BCI. Only they can answer that question.

Elmo wrote: »
    Since when did Kilkenny loose its charter? Kilkenny City and Waterford City. Regardless of size both are Cities.

Who sez Kilkenny is a city? Prove it.

Multi-region/county rather than Multi-City.

Take it up with the BCI. They determined that it's called "multi city".

• Advertisement

Yawn. When this old chestnut is posted in the Kilkenny forum, the poster gets an instant ban. It's a good way to start an online row :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic. I've just sent off an email to the BCI asking why they're not included. I've no idea if they'll reply but I am curious.

While not offically a City (Since 2001) Kilkenny is allowed to retain the name Kilkenny City as provided under the 2001 Act.

I got a reply back from the BCI. A lengthy email. I think, reading through it, that a submission that included Waterford and Kilkenny was knocked on the head because it wasn't viable.

Among the submissions received, one included both Waterford and Kilkenny specifically in its proposed franchise area. This submission was for a quasi national service covering the areas Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford, Kilkenny, Sligo, Westport, Ennis, Tralee, Clonmel, Carlow, Mullingar, Wexford and Drogheda. This expression of interest was excluded however at Level 2 of the assessment process on viability grounds. In total 22 submissions were ruled out during either Level One or Level Two analysis.

it wouldnt have been LESS viable to include more cities such as waterford but it would have been in reality a national license which is not what the BCI wanted to offer so they rejected submissions that were national ( its not possible to cover all the cities with FM and not be a full national station )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

Anyhow getting back to 4fm.............

How come the reception is so bad. I'm in the County of Kildare and the reception is really bad. Driving from Naas to Athy this morning I lost the station just after Kilcullen.

PS. I think it is great hearing Gareth O'Callaghan back on the radio.

Rochie IRL wrote: »
    Anyhow getting back to 4fm.............

How come the reception is so bad. I'm in the County of Kildare and the reception is really bad. Driving from Naas to Athy this morning I lost the station just after Kilcullen.
    Its not meant to cover all Kildare. Are you tuned to 94.6? If not, then thats your problem.

yeah the station is not licensed to cover the whole country....it is mandated to cover the cities Dublin Cork Galway limerick Clare:pac:

When you think about it, its a damned strange licence

"we'll broadcast to Dublin Cork Limerick Galway and anyone who happens to be in the overspill"

"What about Waterford?"

"nah"

Among the submissions received, one included both Waterford and Kilkenny specifically in its proposed franchise area. This submission was for a quasi national service
    Quasi national, not multi city.
    The areas for the multi city licence were based on the submissions received which is what I stated earlier in this thread.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If anyone's interested, here's an explanation of it all from the BCI.

I know that this stuff can get confusing but for clarity the BCI goes through a process to decide what licences to advertise and some folks here seem to think that 4fm have some say in what the area covered is...they do not...the licence guidelines including the area available to apply for are clearly outlined during the application process...the ad was very specific and can also be seen on the BCI I website. I enclose the first paragraph below for clarity...the explanation in relation to waterford etc was decided by the BCI during the stage of assessing potential viablility but once they decide what the franchise area is then your application must reflect this and in this cas eonly covered the cities which 4fm now covers...which is what I was saying in my last thread

1. GENERAL

The Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (“BCI”), in accordance with Section 5 of the Radio and Television Act, 1988 (“the 1988 Act”) hereby invites applications for the award of a sound broadcasting contract for a period of ten years for the provision of a multi-city sound broadcasting service on the FM band for the areas of Dublin City and County and commuter belt, Cork City and County, Limerick City and County, Co. Clare and Galway City and County.

Fair enough so I guess the next question for the BCI is why they choose to swerve Waterford and catchment area? There is a conspiracy theory doing the rounds...

Fair enough so I guess the next question for the BCI is why they choose to swerve Waterford and catchment area? There is a conspiracy theory doing the rounds...

[suggested]
    The Head of the BCI is from Waterford. I has been suggested that this person is letting WLRfm have a bit of a monopoly, hence Beat is part owned by WLRfm.
    [/suggested]

Should moderators want to remove this conspiracy theory they may :)

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I have been listening to this on the internet and hear them saying that they broadcast right across the country. False.
    It's also false to say it cover the commuterbelt of Dublin.
    I live in Dublins commuter belt and driving south along the N11 you lose 4FM at roughly Kilpedder as East coast FM also broadcasts on 94.9 from Avoca :rolleyes:

They should have mounted 1 tx for Dublin at Kippure and that would have given them a much wider audience in the counties surrounding Dublin from only the one site.
    But hey when does logic come into any of these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

[suggested]
    The Head of the BCI is from Waterford. I has been suggested that this person is letting WLRfm have a bit of a monopoly, hence Beat is part owned by WLRfm.
    [/suggested]

Should moderators want to remove this conspiracy theory they may :)

IRISH EXAMINER owner Thomas Crosbie Holdings (TCH) own the majority shareholding in WLR and Beat 102-103.

TCH has a 75% shareholding in Beat. WLR FM managing director Des Whelan has 25%.

TCH also has a 75% stake in WLR FM with Des holding the remaining 25% here also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

great to hear Del Davis back on the airwaves this morning ones of Irelands finest
    radio presenters

It's also false to say it cover the commuterbelt of Dublin.
    I live in Dublins commuter belt and driving south along the N11 you lose 4FM at roughly Kilpedder as East coast FM also broadcasts on 94.9 from Avoca :rolleyes:

They should have mounted 1 tx for Dublin at Kippure and that would have given them a much wider audience in the counties surrounding Dublin from only the one site.
    But hey when does logic come into any of these things?
    Some people think that the commuter belt includes half the country:)
    For the purpose of the licence, the line is drawn roughly between Greystones and Blessington. Kilpedder is on that line.

More Music wrote: »
    IRISH EXAMINER owner Thomas Crosbie Holdings (TCH) own the majority shareholding in WLR and Beat 102-103.

TCH has a 75% shareholding in Beat. WLR FM managing director Des Whelan has 25%.

TCH also has a 75% stake in WLR FM with Des holding the remaining 25% here also.

I didn't think Beat and WLR where that closely related.

the music playing is brilliant ....alphaville forever young , echo beach , aztec camera-lots of great 80s in the mix

Agreed, but I've been hearing a lot of the same songs repeated over and over....

• Advertisement

They have the builders in by the sound of it.

Jebus how awkward is this format?

Kiberd dicussing the new Property Treasure Agency thing, Damo calls a halt to proceedings with a "can you stay on the line...while we play some music from Kraftwerk I think it is". Crazy. Either people are listening to his show for current affairs chat or music not, indeed never, both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

radiohead7 wrote: »
    the music playing is brilliant ....alphaville forever young , echo beach , aztec camera-lots of great 80s in the mix

Yes indeed, lots of 80s music!

Please see Post#21

Kiberd dicussing the new Property Treasure Agency thing, Damo calls a halt to proceedings with a "can you stay on the line...while we play some music from Kraftwerk I think it is". Crazy. Either people are listening to his show for current affairs chat or music not, indeed never, both.

I have to say I like the format. I like the way the stop things for music. But that is my wandering mind, I would have changed channel after a few minutes. I think it would be better broken up by Discussions rather then the music interuptting the discussion.

Damo the DJ/Damien the Jornalist. :)

4fm HOME OF THE SKITISOPHRENICAS (NO OFFENCE).

Heard this myself, he obviously has no input into the music choice.
    It was the same when Dave 'Anything Goes' Heffernan when filling in for Kiberd last week, it was obvious he was not into the music he was playing.

Damo also informed us that it is pronounced Kraftverk as the band originate from Dusseldorf....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Camelot wrote: »
    Yes indeed, lots of 80s music!

Please see Post#21
    80'S music, as opposed to music for the 80 year olds!
    The remit for this station at it's launch was that it would cater for an OVER 45 audience. That means that the MINIMUM age that would be catered for would by 45 years old, presumably going up to 90 and beyond.So....music from the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's perhaps????
    What 75 year old wants to hear Aztec Camera FFS?
    Another missed opportunity to broadcast DIFFERENT music.
    It's just the same old pap.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not sure if you agree with me or disagree with me Bilko1234 :confused:

All I am saying is that every other Irish Radio station plays 80s music all the time, & I was hoping that 4FM would be a breath of fresh air, & steer clear of what every other Irish radio station is doing, ie; 80s music!

bilko1234 wrote: »
    80'S music, as opposed to music for the 80 year olds!
    The remit for this station at it's launch was that it would cater for an OVER 45 audience. That means that the MINIMUM age that would be catered for would by 45 years old, presumably going up to 90 and beyond.So....music from the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's perhaps????
    What 75 year old wants to hear Aztec Camera FFS?
    Another missed opportunity to broadcast DIFFERENT music.
    It's just the same old pap.:mad:

a 45 year old was born in 1964, meaning that they where teens of the 1970/1980s. I do think they are providing more of a variety than what others are.

But the presenters should know better most of them are well over 45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

a 45 year old was born in 1964, meaning that they where teens of the 1970/1980s. I do think they are providing more of a variety than what others are.

But the presenters should know better most of them are well over 45.
    Hey, I can do the math!
    But, an 85 year old would've been a teenager in the 1930/1940s.
    Where are they catered for here?? By listening to PHIL COLLINS????

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Hey, I can do the math!
    But, an 85 year old would've been a teenager in the 1930/1940s.
    Where are they catered for here?? By listening to PHIL COLLINS????

Dubliner's of that age would have been listening to operas and classical music, as it was phenomenally popular in 1930/1940s Dublin. Lyric FM.

But lets do the maths further, what is the population of people in the 40s in comparison to people in their 80s or even 90s?

The over 45 group range from 1989 all the way down to 1920. So that has to be the mix that they provide. That isn't to suggest that new popular music shouldn't be broadcast. Also do they have a showband show? And how would that go down with the Dubliner's of the 1960s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Where on 4fm have they a decent 80s show?

eg. Smiths, Cure, Talking Heads etc?

There seems no new wave. There is a massive market for good quality 80s music.

It seems to be stuck in the 70s.

I give 4fm 6 months - If they don't improve programming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement