Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with Kyosho Alpha

Options
  • 08-01-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I was up at the recycling centre, and in the middle of all the old electronic stuff was a R/C car chassis, it appeared to be in good nick so I did my bit for the environment and reused it.
    I had no idea what it was apart from the fact that It had Kyosho on the bumper and the engine is a GX12.
    So after a little googling I believe that it is a Kyosho alpha Pureten, with the gx 12 engine.
    It is in unused condition apart from having the throttle servo arm missing and a couple of screws missing from the steering linkages.
    Now the receiver is also missing and the bodyshell.
    Looking at it, it seems to have just gathered dust on a shelf somewhere and been tossed out.
    My question is can I still get parts for this? I will also need a transmitter and receiver for this and a body shell and a couple of small parts to make the steering work correctly again, anyone care to guesstimate what it will all cost to get it running?
    I have zero experience with nitro cars, TBH when I was into modelling the Tamiya Hornet had just come out:D.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Nice find seems like its in unused condition.

If you could supply a full pic of it I might be able to help further, as their are a few pure ten models.

Are their any serial numbers on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't see any serials on it, but thats maybe because I am not sure where to look!
    The engine is a GX 12 does that help?
    I will take some better pics with a proper camera instead of the shyte cameraphone.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

If you give me a few quid I'll properly dispose of it for you!:D

(You do know of course that you're not allowed to remove any waste items from the recycling centres.)

Nice find though.:D Which centre was it? Maybe the guy has a few other that he's getting rid of soon as well...:D

Anyway, if you have no experience with these things I would suggest you head on down to a nuts-and-bolts hobby shop like www.greenhobbymodel.com in Harolds Cross for instance, they'll sort you out.

Before you start spending any dosh though, you got to ask yourself if this is really for you. RC is pretty expensive and VERY addictive.

You need a 2 channel Tx/Rx - anything between €20 and €200, glow plugs @ €5 each, fuel @ €10/litre, fuel bottle, batteries, glow plug igniter, bits and bobs, another €50 or so. Body shells are also quite expensive and sell for around €30 (unpainted) or so I believe.

I actually have some R/c stuff already from an Easystar ARF that needs repairs and following on from that a 3ch TX/Rx which should work if the plugs are anyway similar.
    So that should save some dosh.
    So I could be mobile for another €100 or so?
    Sounds like fun, I am nowhere near Dublin, I live in the sticks in Cork.
    Hmm I will have a look tonight at the Easystar and see what I can use out of it.

I pulled the Rx unit out of the Plane and stuck it into the car, it fitted and all the servo plugs fitted as well, Are these standardised?
    The car steers but because there are a couple of screws missing from the steering pivot points it is not drivable.
    Here are some more pics if you are interested.
    You can see the missing servo arm just under the battery carrier.
    There must also be another arm for the reverse I think.
    I pulled the end off the muffler you can see it hanging down and this engine has never been run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Jammy is what come to mind :D
    Cheapest Kyosho I have ever seen.

What screws are missing?
    You should be able to pick up some for a few Euro at your local hobby store along with some fuel to get it running.

Yep I couldn't believe that someone would throw it away!
    Strictly speaking I was probably doing the person a favour because it is not really electronic waste:D
    You can see the screws that are missing in the first pic, they are in a line above the fuel cap, immediately behind the hole in the plastic plate that you can see the driveshaft through.
    all I need now is a plastic tube for the aerial to go through and some fuel and a glow plug heater and a bodyshell.
    I will take some pics If I get it sorted today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DirtRacer

Modelworld in Galway are the main dealer's for Kyosho models and parts, there's plenty of shells in the shop there may be one suitable,they do mail order and they'll be there from 10 till 6 tomorrow (Sat) if you want to check Tel: 091 773861 and ask for Pete or just a thought you could mail your pics to modelworld@eircom.net

hope you get it sorted, nice find :D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

DirtRacer wrote: »
    Modelworld in Galway are the main dealer's for Kyosho models and parts, there's plenty of shells in the shop there may be one suitable,they do mail order and they'll be there from 10 till 6 tomorrow (Sat) if you want to check Tel: 091 773861 and ask for Pete or just a thought you could mail your pics to modelworld@eircom.net

hope you get it sorted, nice find :D

when i was in galway a couple of months back i went to that industrial estate and a person told me modelworld was closed down:confused: and there phone always rang out aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jezza p

what you wanna do is, go onto this website and youll find every part youll need and its not too pricey, www.storacingproducts.com

im currently having problems trying to get my nitro car started, iv had to replace loads of parts, i cant figure out why it wont start.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Jezza p wrote: »
    what you wanna do is, go onto this website and youll find every part youll need and its not too pricey, www.storacingproducts.com

im currently having problems trying to get my nitro car started, iv had to replace loads of parts, i cant figure out why it wont start.:mad:

Unless you know exactly which model you have and have exploded diagrams with part numbers, you'll be wasting your time and money going this route.

From what I can see it is an Alpha 2 the Mk 3 had a larger head.
    I have found some parts and manuals on the web and ordered them.
    Ran the car after getting some fuel and a heater from Noel Brett Models in Cork city €70 for a 3.75 litre bottle of 15% and a ripmax heater.
    I think he is a bit dear and not very friendly, probably won't be using him again.
    The engine runs well, but I had to strip the whole car down and check it as the diffs were not assembled correctly.
    Just missing the servo horn for the throttle/brake and a body now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DirtRacer

goldwing wrote: »
    when i was in galway a couple of months back i went to that industrial estate and a person told me modelworld was closed down:confused: and there phone always rang out aswell

They have moved just around the corner in the same Industrial Estate the new number is 091773861 somone must have taken down the notice in the old shop window (left out of old shop to end of road turn right go to end and turn left and he's half way down on the left) ;)

Advertisement