Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should all my course selections on the CAO form be of similar type

Options
  • 08-01-2009 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

should all my course selections on the CAO form from 1-10(level 8) and 1-10 level(7-6) be of similar type.

for example I want to do an Arts course so Ive chosen courses in 6 different colleges for my top 6 choices but after that my choices are a mix of business, sports and tourism courses.

will this affect selection and if so how should i word my personal statement so that i keep all course options open?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Going to to bump instead of starting a new thread, I am now in a similiar dilemma. Originally I had just Economics so my personnel statement was based just on that subject but now I've expanded it in business ocurses aswell in case I dont get any economics course, and now I'm stuck on how to re-do my personnal statement.

Also since I am applying to do economics through arts in UCD I included information on the other subjects I will be picking but then I was think that since the personnell statement gets since by every college should I break my personnell statement in two, first part would be for UCD then the second for another college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

No, courses dont necessarily have to be from the same family but there would need to be clear evidence in your personal statement of how your interest in the different fields developed and was maintained and what you want to do into the future. Basically its not a great idea to be applying on spec and hoping that you like the course when you get there. In mature students, colleges like to see some evidence of experience or knowledge in the areas the courses will cover. This can come from life experience, hobbies, work etc.

Chucky, you should be ok with business and economics. There are broadly enough similarities in these. Dont try to cover every base in the statement though, if it sounds like a parroting back of the prospectus then that could go against you. After all the point of the statement is that it is personal to you.:D Its about why you are interested in doing the subject, where you developed that interest and where you want to go with it into the future.

Comeback, yours would take a bit of work but if you can provide evidence of where your interest comes from then you should be ok. Arts is a broad field and can be indicative of a person with broad interests so that could work as a theme through your statement.

I wish you both the best of luck with your applications.:)

Advertisement