Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Haggling tips??

Options
  • 08-01-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

hi all, im looking to trade in my 02 bmw 316ti compact for an 05 bmw 116, and most of the garages are giving me really crappy trade in prices (anything from €3000-€5000), yet from doing a bit of looking around the net ive seen ones selling for anything from €8500 to €11000.
    Anyways im crap at haggling and bartering, so would like to hear how people have managd to save cash off the asking price when buying a car, because as it stands i wouldnt be able to afford it with the trade price their offering.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Prices have fallen, you can't really haggle your way out of that. If i were you though, i'd try and sell the car privately.

Dealers are taking peoples hands off for cash at the moment, so you could haggle a price if you're buying with cash on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Approaching dealers with a trade in is the first problem. Try to sell it privately. Undercut all similar models on carzone (take a loss). If you go back to the dealer with a wad of cash in your pocket you can almost pick your price.

The truth is dealers don't want your car, your deal could end up either of these ways;

Asking Price: 19,000.

Cash paid with trade-in: 15,000 (no disc plus 4k allowed)

Straight cash deal: 16,000 (3k disc)

No dealer would really want the 7yr old BMW, the market will always be flooded with used cars until it's pricing structure adjusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rdb666

Cheers guys, yep I was thinking the best way would be to sell privately first.
    What I was looking for in my original post was methods that people hve gone to when haggling in the past, what works, what doesn't?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

a sawn-off shotgun might be a good place to start:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Ask the price, offer a % less, if they refuse point blank then depending what you think of the price walk away to think about it, if they are serious about selling they might ring you back.

Sometimes walking around the car and pointing out things that need fixing or replacing can either get money off or get them thrown into the deal free.

Dont jump up and down, shouting excitedly when you see the car you want. Dont be afraid to make an offer the worst they can say is no. ALways be prepared to walk away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement