Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking oil filter?

• 08-01-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a (preferably washable) cooking oil filter / funnel for filtering the oil from my deep fat fryer back into the bottles? I'm fairly sure I've seen such a beast before (with some kind of fine nylon mesh filter) once upon a time somewhere but can't find anything online despite much Googling.

At the moment I'm using a plastic funnel with a bit of muslin inside, but the funnel isn't really big enough meaning I'm continuously stopping and starting which makes the whole process quite tedious plus I'm getting through the muslin at a fair rate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Alun wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a (preferably washable) cooking oil filter / funnel for filtering the oil from my deep fat fryer back into the bottles? I'm fairly sure I've seen such a beast before (with some kind of fine nylon mesh filter) once upon a time somewhere but can't find anything online despite much Googling.

At the moment I'm using a plastic funnel with a bit of muslin inside, but the funnel isn't really big enough meaning I'm continuously stopping and starting which makes the whole process quite tedious plus I'm getting through the muslin at a fair rate.

I find paper coffee filters the best. Far cheaper than muslin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I find paper coffee filters the best. Far cheaper than muslin.
    I thought I'd tried that before and that it took absolutely ages to strain through. I'll give it another go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Use a cafetiere. - then you can also use it for making fresh coffee.

Minder wrote: »
    Use a cafetiere. - then you can also use it for making fresh coffee.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Do you have a cafetiere? One of these jobbies for making fresh coffee. You put the spent oil in the cafetiere and push down the plunger, the fine filter takes out all the particles in the oil. The plunger has a very fine wire filter sandwiched between two larger plates. The whole thing unscrews and can be washed in a dishwasher or hot soapy water. Makes great cofffee and filters oil.

• Advertisement

Minder wrote: »
    Do you have a cafetiere? One of these jobbies for making fresh coffee. You put the spent oil in the cafetiere and push down the plunger, the fine filter takes out all the particles in the oil. The plunger has a very fine wire filter sandwiched between two larger plates. The whole thing unscrews and can be washed in a dishwasher or hot soapy water. Makes great coffee and filters oil.
    Sorry for that, I know what a cafetiere is of course, but couldn't quite figure out how to use one to strain oil :)

Now, I don't have one (I use a conventional filter machine) but I'd have thought the filter in them wouldn't be fine enough, not that I've ever examined one closely when dismantled, only when in use in restaurants etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Easy fine enough for most of the big pieces I'd say. Ground coffee is pretty fine in itself and the cafetiere is designed to filter that out!

Advertisement