Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 2.0 TDI S LINE auto, Diesel

Options
  • 08-01-2009 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am about to buy a Audi A4 2.0 140 TDI S LINE Auto, 22k CO2 164/km
    Diesel 2007 in the UK.

The car belongs to the wife of a garage dealer (He is not a main Audi dealer) and they have the car about 12 months. He bought the car from a main Audi dealer with 12.000 miles on the clock in Jan 2008. Prior to that the Audi Dealer had it leased to a company since it’s first reg in July 2007.

The current owner is selling on the car as he changes his cars every year (So he says).

The car is priced at 16600 sterling and I have agreed euro for pound deal with him. I checked the car through Audi UK by giving them the chassis No and there were no recalls on it to date and all the info was correct.

The owner of the car noted to me that he had the car serviced in Dec 08 at a main audi dealer garage and they noted a noise in the steering wheel.

The owner the said there is a re-call is to replace the pipes on the steering rack that hold the power steering fluid. There is some sort of a design fault in them and are replaced free of charge at the Audi garage. It is booked in for 12th Jan, (next Monday).

He gave me the Audi Dealers number that are carrying out the recall and they confirmed the car is booked but stated it was not a recall over a design fault.

I asked the Dealer fixing at the problem was the replacement of the pipes on the steering rack that hold the power steering fluid a common problem. He mentioned that he could not diagnose this as he wasn’t sure what was making the noise.

Audi UK mentioned that this model Reg’d in 2007 did have steering problems, but where not treated as recalls as there were very few.

Is the seller spinning me a story and have I got concerns. The car is still under warranty till July 2010.

I am travelling over next week to look at it.

Hope this makes since and look forward to reply’s Please

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

This is the Help Desk forum.
    Moved to Motors.

I am also going to fix your font text.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cove1971

Sorry about that, just joined last night and trying to get my head round this site. Thanks for moving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

cove1971 wrote: »
    Diesel 2007 in the UK.

The car belongs to the wife of a garage dealer (He is not a main Audi dealer) and they have the car about 12 months. He bought the car from a main Audi dealer with 12.000 miles on the clock in Jan 2008. Prior to that the Audi Dealer had it leased to a company since it’s first reg in July 2007.

The current owner is selling on the car as he changes his cars every year (So he says).

The car is priced at 16600 sterling and I have agreed euro for pound deal with him. I checked the car through Audi UK by giving them the chassis No and there were no recalls on it to date and all the info was correct.

The owner of the car noted to me that he had the car serviced in Dec 08 at a main audi dealer garage and they noted a noise in the steering wheel.

The owner the said there is a re-call is to replace the pipes on the steering rack that hold the power steering fluid. There is some sort of a design fault in them and are replaced free of charge at the Audi garage. It is booked in for 12th Jan, (next Monday).

He gave me the Audi Dealers number that are carrying out the recall and they confirmed the car is booked but stated it was not a recall over a design fault.

I asked the Dealer fixing at the problem was the replacement of the pipes on the steering rack that hold the power steering fluid a common problem. He mentioned that he could not diagnose this as he wasn’t sure what was making the noise.

Audi UK mentioned that this model Reg’d in 2007 did have steering problems, but where not treated as recalls as there were very few.

Is the seller spinning me a story and have I got concerns. The car is still under warranty till July 2010.

where did u find this car? was it autotrader?.
    Its probably going to be fixed under warranty anyway. They have agreed the car is being booked in. Wait until it gets out, then ring the dealer for confirmation. Whats your concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭canine

the main headlight on the passenger side is no longer working and the garage is quoting 240 euro for supply only ,anyone got suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

canine wrote: »
    the main headlight on the passenger side is no longer working and the garage is quoting 240 euro for supply only ,anyone got suggestions
    You need to start a new thread, use the 'start a new thread' button on the top left of the page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Why would anyone import a 2007 diesel? They'll have very little resale value against a 2008...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

cove1971 wrote: »
    Diesel 2007 in the UK.

Few points I would make - It would be unusual (in ireland at least) for a dealer to actual register a car to themselves privately. That always seem to just drive the stock cars. How do you know its his wifes car?
    You say it was serviced in december 08 and this fualt was picked up. There is no way it would be left until now to get sorted although maybe you meant december 2009.
    I would think again about bringing in a 2007 car. You wont sell it again as the tax on an 08 model could be €156 to €300 in manual versions whereas yours will be over €600. I dont think the auto box you are considering is particularily in demand here either. There is also a new model A4 in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jdmauto

I suggest that you give Geoff Walsh a ring the Brand Manager at Audi North Dublin they have a large selection of used cars in stock. It might be worth a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

jdmauto wrote: »
    I suggest that you give Geoff Walsh a ring the Brand Manager at Audi North Dublin they have a large selection of used cars in stock. It might be worth a call.

After vrt it may be cheaper here alright. You're in A strong position to bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

You mention VRT of 164/km but VRT does not make a blind bit of difference for a 07, you'll be paying motor tax on engine capacity. That's not a great CO2 figure by recent standards anyway.

I wouldn't buy a 07 diesel unlessI got it at the right price, very undesirable when compared to a 08 (CO2 based motor tax, much cheaper for most models).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Given that the VRT is €3700 and it'll cost you at least €400 to get it back it seems pricey at over €20,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Everyone knows this is from over a year ago right?

Different times I tell ya....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

pburns wrote: »
    You mention VRT of 164/km but VRT does not make a blind bit of difference for a 07, you'll be paying motor tax on engine capacity. That's not a great CO2 figure by recent standards anyway.

Of course Co2 emissions make a difference for an 07. Vrt is paid based on CO2 for all cars so a low figure will make it cheaper to register here. Its only the road tax thats based on engine cc for a 2007 car

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

why do people dig up old threads :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Everyone knows this is from over a year ago right?

Different times I tell ya....

D'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Twould be useful if boards auto closed threads after 3 or 6 months inactivity....

Advertisement